Pm 28.1 hangs occasionally for me, help please.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pm 28.1 hangs occasionally for me, help please.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-10, 20:53

One thing standing out in your snapshot is this: C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerHook.dll

What is "unlocker" and why is it hooking into the browser?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-10, 21:03

Unlocker is an old program that i have used for many years. I use it for unlocking folders and files that bad written programs keeps a handle to, although the program don't use it anymore. An example is M$ outlook which will keep the handle to files that have been attached to emails.
http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-10-10, 23:14

You can use Febe for that, but you must find a backup that was previous to
PM 28 or you will have profile corruption issues. ;)

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-11, 10:13

Thehandyman1957 wrote:You can use Febe for that, but you must find a backup that was previous to
PM 28 or you will have profile corruption issues. ;)
Unfortunately I don't have a v27x profile.
Do I understand this correctly: FEBE can be used for going up in version number, but not down?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-10-12, 02:30

PalleP wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a v27x profile.
Do I understand this correctly: FEBE can be used for going up in version number, but not down?
No, you can use it either way for the most part and in most cases. But PM 28 is a major
milestone update and it has some things under the hood that if you took a PM 28 profile
back to PM 27 it can have some undesired effects and may cause issues down the road.

What you might be able to do is use FEBE to restore other things like your extensions,
themes, bookmarks, usernames and passwords and history. These are most likely not
going to be an issue going back to MP 27.
Screenshot - 10_11_2018 , 7_18_24 PM.png
Please keep in mind that PM 27 has it's own set of issues and there is going to
be a lot of web pages that simply don't work correctly anymore. There is no
more support for 27 and any issues you run into is going to be on your own..

Have you tried to use PM 28 portable? It's a simple download and once unzipped
you can simply click on the PM icon in the unzipped file and run it from there.

The only reason I bring this up is simply to avoid all things old profile.
If you still have these issues in the PM portable then I would expect that
you have something else in windows going on that is effected by the new
code in PM 28. I have W7 64 bit pro and was one of the original beta
testers and have never seen this issue before. Just a thought. :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-12, 08:27

Yes, I know that v27.x is not going to work forever, that was actually why I updated.
I have used Pale Moon for many years and have only had a very few minor glitches.
This time however, Pale Moon freezes totally and I can't live with that.
Since noone seems to be able to read anything useable out of the WhatIsHang reports, and I can't get anything out of a frozen PM, I see no other solution than going back to v27.x
As I have written before, I have done a direct update from v27.x to v28.1, so maybe something went wrong there.
I will therefore first try to completely remove PM and then reinstall using FEBE as backup. I am therefore very interested in advice what I can restore without risk of getting into trouble.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 11:18

PalleP wrote:As I have written before, I have done a direct update from v27.x to v28.1, so maybe something went wrong there.
You could test thoroughly with the portable edition without touching your existent installation.
With no extensions, or any preference changed except for a single one - Always use private browsing mode. With that setting you make sure that nothing will be stored on your device while testing.
If the freezes go away, then you still can start with a fresh install and delete the folder containing your portable.
If the freezes persist then a fresh install probably won't solve the issue.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-12, 14:08

Ok, I will try with the portable version although I already have one installed, only for insulation use at money related sites.
But I guess there is no problem in having 2 portable versions installed at the same time...

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 14:42

You can have as many portable installs as you like as long as you don't run them at the same time.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-12, 14:45

gepus wrote:You can have as many portable installs as you like as long as you don't run them at the same time.
I think, by default, you *can* run them at the same time.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 14:53

doofy wrote:I think, by default, you *can* run them at the same time.
Definitively not if both have the same version. You can test and prove me wrong if I'm mistaken. :)

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-12, 15:03

gepus wrote:
doofy wrote:I think, by default, you *can* run them at the same time.
Definitively not if both have the same version. You can test and prove me wrong if I'm mistaken. :)

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 15:23

If you check the profiles they are using, are they different profiles or the same one?

Edit:
Ok, I was mistaken. :)
Checked now Palemoon-Portable.ini and saw that MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 is set by default.
Last edited by gepus on 2018-10-12, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-12, 15:35

gepus wrote:If you check the profiles they are using, are they different profiles or the same one?
Not sure if I can think of a reason why anyone with multiple portable installs would want them sharing the same profile.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-10-12, 15:40

doofy wrote:Not sure if I can think of a reason why anyone with multiple portable installs would want them sharing the same profile.
See my post above.
Because not all portable browsers have that setting by default. The user will have to set that option. Nice that Pale Moon has that option by default.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-13, 18:12

The portable version freezes as well :shock:

But I just found out that I by mistake have used v28.01, so I will update it and try again.
I am beginning to see a connection in when it happens. Pale moon must have been on for a while (1-2 hours) and then I suddenly open many tabs (approx. 10) instead of the very few tabs I usually have open.
This also explains why I can terminate PM and then load exactly the same pages without problem.
Does this tell anyone something? Something I can try?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-10-13, 21:46

PalleP wrote:The portable version freezes as well :shock:

But I just found out that I by mistake have used v28.01, so I will update it and try again.
I am beginning to see a connection in when it happens. Pale moon must have been on for a while (1-2 hours) and then I suddenly open many tabs (approx. 10) instead of the very few tabs I usually have open.
This also explains why I can terminate PM and then load exactly the same pages without problem.
Does this tell anyone something? Something I can try?
Are you saying that PM was fine until you opened certain web pages?
If so, perhaps you could open each page separate, leave open and then close
after determining if it is causing the crash. This might whittle it down a bit. :think:

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-14, 06:40

No, it is obviously not a certain page that causes the problem.
If I manage to close opened pages before PM totally freezes, PM will remain with high cpu usage and will freeze shortly after.
After a PM termination, I can open the previous pages without problems.
It is something that is build up by time, and will reset when PM is closed or terminated.
Memory usage will be 200-300Mb when PM is opened with one tab and will vary up to approximately 1Gb. After it has been at a high level, it will go down to approximately 550Mb when only one tab is open and clearing the cache will not make it go further down. I don't know if this is normal behaviour.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-10-14, 07:12

I've been having this problem for a while now -- browser locks-up for short periods of time now and then (generally anywhere from 2-20 seconds) once again works fine again -- I've just taken the approach it is what it is and may get fixed (either inadvertently or directly) at some point down the line hopefully. In the mean-time I look at this as a small irritation to put up with until the time it gets resolved one way or the other in as much as Pale Moon is otherwise really great browser that I will absolutely never give up for another, period! ;)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-10-14, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-14, 07:15

That is not the problem here, my PM totally freezes and will not start responding no matter how long time I wait...