Endless connection loop to Twitter

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Endless connection loop to Twitter

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-09-27, 20:37

On this page:
http://www.dmi.dk

I have started to run into an endless Twitter loop so the page never loads fully. It looks like this:
Twitter.png
Twitter.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Please help me get rid of this, or even better, to block all these stupid connections to social media and Google with "like" and all the other silly buttons.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Endless connection loop to Twitter

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-09-27, 20:44

The page seems to load just fine for me. I'm using uBlock Origin to block 3rd party scripts and frames. However, the spinning circle in the tab kept spinning for quite a long time before it finally stopped. Other than that, it looks okay.
Untitled.jpg

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-09-27, 20:48

I use Adblock Latitude, and have tried to switch it of without success.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-09-27, 21:15

In my screenshot, you'll see that I'm blocking everything, except scripts from dmi.dk. So I don't know why you would want to turn off ABL.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-27, 21:56

@ PalleP

AfterI clicked on the link you provided and the page took about 3 seconds to load. I did not get any endless Twitter connection loops. Deleting on the tab which led me to the page, I again clicked on your link and this time the page loaded in less than 1 second of time. Again, no endless Twitter connection loops. I have Adblock Latitude enabled for this site too.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce

BTW, nice weather site. Just wish it had been in english.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-09-28, 03:53

I actually experienced this very issue recently with a different website that also connected to Twitter. The thing is it happened on a fresh install and profile, but not on an old install on a different computer. My guess is whatever it was trying to get from Twitter was already on cache on the old install. I ended up just using uBlock to block connections to Twitter because I don't use it anyway. I just checked and now my new install is working fine even with Twitter unblocked so it may have been a Twitter issue that has been fixed.
Try again and see if it works. If not, you can use a blocker to stop it.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-09-28, 17:42

Night Wing wrote:@ PalleP

BTW, nice weather site. Just wish it had been in english.

Look in the upper right corner ;) but take care, you risk to get Twitter infection.

I use Adblock Latitude because it works just fine right out of the box, and that suits me fine due to my lazy nature :oops:
Well, can I use Adblock Latitude to block anything Twitter related?

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2018-09-30, 14:53

I have exact same problem with a number of other website. I tried your link in firt post I have the same problem as well. Running uBlock origin, disabling it has no effect. I'm under the impression this is happening since the Pale Moon 28.1.0 update...

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-03, 19:48

The "I don't care about cookies" extension is the culprit.
And as a bonus, disabling it also seems to cure this odd problem : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20573&p=153930#p153930
This extension is a must for people doing cookie cleaning, one way or the other, and it has been working perfect with PM v27.x
I have contacted the developer in the hope he can and will fix the problem(s).

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2018-10-03, 19:55

thanks for the feedback, I am indeed also using this addon. Please post here if you have an answer!

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2018-10-28, 13:16

I can confirm the same problem.
"I don't care about cookies" makes platform.twitter.com and syndication.twitter.com loading forever.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-10-28, 17:37

I have contacted the developer, but he obviously have no interest in fixing it, he claims he can't make PM work on his pc.
I thereafter contacted JustOff and asked him if he would "adopt" this extension to PM. He told me to use the "I don't care about cookies" filter in my Add blocker instead, that is what he does.
Using the filter alone works fine, but is less effective since the extension will actually "press the accept button" if the annoyance can't be blocked.
The filter alone will block the absolute major part of the annoyances, so it will be on a tolerable level.

Lebowsky
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Lebowsky » 2018-10-28, 19:47

PalleP wrote:use the "I don't care about cookies" filter in my Add blocker instead
Can you explain this a little more..? I use uBlock origin, how do I set the filter? (I never touched the config, so...)

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-10-28, 20:51

Lebowsky wrote:
PalleP wrote:use the "I don't care about cookies" filter in my Add blocker instead
Can you explain this a little more..? I use uBlock origin, how do I set the filter? (I never touched the config, so...)
https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/#install

Scroll down; add to adblock plus. uB0 will do the rest.

Paradise

Unread post by Paradise » 2018-10-29, 02:39

PalleP wrote:I have contacted the developer, but he obviously have no interest in fixing it
That's the reason why i have a problem with PM.
I'm trying to use now PM again, but the extensions situation...

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-11-13, 10:45

Just noticed this on a site I visit, disabled IDCAC and problem solved. Have now added the filter to ABL.

Thanks for the heads up PalleP :thumbup: