Why Palemoon v28.1.0 trying to reach google DNS? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CircuitBreaker

Why Palemoon v28.1.0 trying to reach google DNS?

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2018-09-25, 12:22

Post update why palemoon is trying to reach google DNS ?
It almost like palemon is dying to reach google, with occasionally trying to reach Level 3 DNS at 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.4, 4.2.2.5 and 4.2.2.6.

can someone shed any light on this... why is palemon trying to reach google DNS ? is it new call-home function added in palemoon?

there is no change in configuration from my end, no new extention added.
current list of ad-ons are :- ublock origin, flashblock, decentraleyes, download manager (S3), etc
Using palemoon x64 bit on windows 7 x64. with OpenDNS and quad9. Default search engine is duckduckgo. ( no traces of any google product in my system).

Steps to re-create this bugs.
open palemoon, keep it idle - no need to open any website whatsoever.
watch the comodo logs flooding it or for even real time view use TCPView.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Why Palemoon v28.1.0 trying to reach google DNS?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-25, 12:33

Pale Moon only contacts the DNS servers which have been set up in your operating system to resolve host names. if it tries to contact 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.* IP addresses for resolution, then those addresses must have been set up in your O.S. as resolvers, somewhere.

As an aside: Please note that background network traffic is normal for Pale Moon - it will contact various servers when idle to request e.g. application updates or blocklist updates. So it's not strange that you see network traffic when leaving the browser idle.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-25, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CircuitBreaker

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2018-09-25, 17:24

thank you for the quick reply.

that is exactly my point of concern. as i said i don't have any traces of google DNS in my entire network.
here are my stings
and

i'm still confused and worried as what is triggering this to connect to ping google server? and that to not once in a while rather almost 30 times per min. this is a point of concern for me.
And this started to happen right after 28.1.0 updpate.

Any suggestion ?

( clean install is to much of work at this point of time )

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-25, 18:36

CircuitBreaker wrote:( clean install is to much of work at this point of time )
A clean install of the portable version would take less than five minutes.
I fired up Wireshark (network sniffer). It's running for aprox 30 minutes and no other DNS logs except for those of my ISP's DNS servers.
Off-topic:
If NetBIOS over Tcpip isn't strictly needed, it's better to disable it.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-25, 18:59

Any chance the Google search plugin/engine could do this? Or an extension like translation ones that usually resort to Google?
CircuitBreaker wrote:It almost like palemon is dying to reach google... is it new call-home function added in palemoon? Steps to re-create this bugs... joined today...
:eh:
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-25, 19:16, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-25, 19:01

CircuitBreaker wrote:Any suggestion ?
  • Post the output of help -> troubleshooting information (as text) so we know the environment you're working in and which extensions are installed. Extensions may have hardcoded resolvers.
  • Investigate the traffic with wireshark. It's already peculiar that this is TCP traffic while normal DNS host-resolve traffic is UDP.
  • As suggested, see if the same occurs for you in a fresh installation or portable clean install of Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CircuitBreaker

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2018-09-26, 01:52

Moonchild wrote:
CircuitBreaker wrote:Any suggestion ?
Extensions may have hardcoded resolvers.
Investigate the traffic with wireshark.
Thank you so much.... yes it is one of obsolete extension (FB Purity). i observed it no longer work in palemoon as well.
As of now no traces of google DNS for last 1hour after deleting the extension (plus i moved away from FB so it was no required as well) .

Thanks you so much again for pointing me to right direction !!
Last edited by CircuitBreaker on 2018-09-26, 03:12, edited 4 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-26, 09:32

CircuitBreaker wrote:yes it is one of obsolete extension (FB Purity). i observed it no longer work in palemoon as well
FBP works fine if you use the script version, not the Firefox extension which should not be installed. Details are here if you ever return to FB.

CircuitBreaker

Unread post by CircuitBreaker » 2018-09-30, 15:50

back2themoon wrote:
CircuitBreaker wrote:yes it is one of obsolete extension (FB Purity). i observed it no longer work in palemoon as well
FBP works fine if you use the script version, not the Firefox extension which should not be installed. Details are here if you ever return to FB.
yes. i haven't mentioned in my previous comment.
I'm done with facebook long back, deleted account. but i have installed the gresemonkey version of it. just to be in safer side if sometime in future someone use this browser to open fb.