Question - terminology and visuals - where?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
skylander

Question - terminology and visuals - where?

Unread post by skylander » 2018-09-24, 16:05

As you can guess, I'm new to Pale Moon. I'm looking for two things.

1. an image of the Pale Moon browser screen that identifies the name for each section
2. a document that gives a general overview of which section of the screen is named and what it does

Thanks,

John

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question - terminology and visuals - where?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-24, 16:36

Why do you think we would have such documentation? It's not like we have to make a presentation of the browser to people who have never seen web browsers before.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-24, 17:52

Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

skylander

Unread post by skylander » 2018-09-24, 19:27

Moonchild wrote:Why do you think we would have such documentation? It's not like we have to make a presentation of the browser to people who have never seen web browsers before.
You're not much of a communicator, are you. It's because I'm not familiar with the terminology specific to the Pale Moon browser. How the heck should I know that you all may call something one thing while another group uses a different word for the same thing. I'm trying to make sure that I use the right words so that I can research something before I ask questions here. Your response just confirms my expectations about the way in which some people look down at questions asked by people like me who are unfamiliar with something and learning their way around.

FYI there have been visual aids like I asked posted by people in the Mozilla forums. I no longer remember if they were "official" documents or ones published by users who wanted to share info about their favored browser. But they were useful to help everyone use the same words to discuss their browser.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-24, 19:33

skylander wrote:It's because I'm not familiar with the terminology specific to the Pale Moon browser.
Nor am I.

Is there any?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-24, 19:41

skylander wrote:You're not much of a communicator, are you.
Certainly after that remark when I simply respond to a request for something that doesn't exist because it wouldn't be made unless there's a specific reason to do so, I won't be much of a communicator to you in particular anymore, no. Quite an odd turn to make the fact that it's not available on a silver platter somehow a personal fault of me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

skylander

Unread post by skylander » 2018-09-24, 19:50

Thanks. Bookmarked them. No, I'm not a begginer per se. I've been using Firefox back to ver 4 or so. Decided to change to Pale Moon. Got tired of trying to find out what changes were made from one version to the next and getting blind=sided by some of the what would seem like the least inconsequential changes. Not to mention combing readers comments re: what might need to be changed in about:config to work-around the changes if possible. I stopped updating at FF ver 29 but realized I needed to either upgrade or move on because too many sites were warning me they no longer supported FF ver 29.

But it's important to know what words the community uses so that I can phrase a question reasonably straightforwardly. That's the reason about the visuals. For example, if I know what the term Pale Moon uses to describe an area of the screen, such as that field to the right of where you put in URLs, then I can google it with a fairly high probability of finding answers to my questions before even posting questions here. I'll probably do so, but knowing helps make the searching easier and should help ensure that we are discussing the same thing. I know from past experience that my descriptions get fuzzy, so I try to minimize the confusion. It doesn't usually work out, unfortunately.

John

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-24, 20:10

skylander wrote:I've been using Firefox back to ver 4 or so.
So you've been using FF for about 10 years?
You visited any discussion forums in that time?
Learned anything at all about basic online etiquette?

Or have you generally found that your current approach of jumping in feet first as an entitled noob and, when gently rebuffed, insulting the dev, tends to work for you?

If your years of experience tells you that your approach works, by all means carry on.

skylander

Unread post by skylander » 2018-09-24, 20:31

Moonchild wrote:
skylander wrote:You're not much of a communicator, are you.
Certainly after that remark when I simply respond to a request for something that doesn't exist because it wouldn't be made unless there's a specific reason to do so, I won't be much of a communicator to you in particular anymore, no. Quite an odd turn to make the fact that it's not available on a silver platter somehow a personal fault of me.
Your response was antagonistic. You could have simply said there was none.

skylander

Unread post by skylander » 2018-09-24, 20:35

doofy wrote:
skylander wrote:I've been using Firefox back to ver 4 or so.
So you've been using FF for about 10 years?
You visited any discussion forums in that time?
Learned anything at all about basic online etiquette?

Or have you generally found that your current approach of jumping in feet first as an entitled noob and, when gently rebuffed, insulting the dev, tends to work for you?

If your years of experience tells you that your approach works, by all means carry on.
It was not a gentle rebuff. I asked a simple, concise question to which a yes or no would have sufficed. You don't learn unless you ask questions. We're all newbies at one time or another in everything.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-24, 20:48

skylander wrote:We're all newbies at one time or another in everything.
Absolutely.

Some of us, after 10 yrs with FF, stopped claiming that title as a badge of honor.

Whatever floats your boat.