browser.newtab.url is a bit broken

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
snertev

browser.newtab.url is a bit broken

Unread post by snertev » 2018-09-22, 12:58

Hello *,

I'm using Pale Moon 28.1.0 (32 bit) on a Win 10 Home PC.

I usually change browser.newtab.url from about:logopage to about:blank in about:config.

When I installed PM 28.1, I started from scratch with a new profile and that change quoted above doesn't stick now.

It continuously revert to the original about:logopage, after few minutes, after a browser restart or when it wants to do so. There is no clear pattern, but it happens.

I've seen this in the release notes: "Fixed the setting of the new tab page being "My Home Page" so it'll pick up subsequent changes to the home page URL automatically" and perhaps there is something I don't understand in this new behavior. I've set to about:blank my Home page too. That works.

Any suggestion?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: browser.newtab.url is a bit broken

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-09-22, 13:03

Have you tried changing it from the preferences menu, rather than from about:config?
In theory you shouldn't dabble with about:config unless there is no other way.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-09-22, 13:34

vannilla wrote:Have you tried changing it from the preferences menu, rather than from about:config?
In theory you shouldn't dabble with about:config unless there is no other way.
I changed it there too, but it is reverted anyway. :thumbdown:

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-09-22, 14:13

I've set the preferences option to "Home Page" (which I've previously set to about:blank) the option seems sticking.

I suppose that the translation of "blank page" option into my native languange made me think that it would have been a "empty white page" instead of a page with pale moon logo that, indeed, is still a blank page. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 14:22

If you choose "a blank page" from the preferences window in the Tabs category, it will, indeed, set about.newtab.url to about:logopage - that is by design.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-22, 14:28

After reading OP's problem, I created a new "clean" profile (no extensions) in 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit Window 7. Went into Preferences, Tabs and scrolled on down to "When opening a new tab;show: a blank page and when I opened a new tabs, I got a blank page.

I then changed the setting to show: my home page and when I opened a new tab, it showed my customized home page.

Now this hard drive is running Windows 7, but the OP is running Windows 10.

BTW, some of you people "need" to provide your extensions when you ask for help since we are using different extensions and sometimes extensions will cause a problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-09-22, 14:34

Moonchild wrote:If you choose "a blank page" from the preferences window in the Tabs category, it will, indeed, set about.newtab.url to about:logopage - that is by design.
I see it now. :D

It was a silly misunderstanding caused from translation semantics.

Edit: I'd keep the English GUI if Facebook won't block my account because I use PM in a language that is not related to my IP location. It occurred twice before I found what the issue was. That site is simply insane. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Last edited by snertev on 2018-09-22, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-22, 14:38

@ MC

Ehm, and if i wish a blank page (without logo) ?

Why not more options ?
Tools -> Preferences -> Tabs -> when opening a new tab, show a blank page
Tools -> Preferences -> Tabs -> when opening a new tab, show a logopage

This way :
About config -> browser.newtab.url -> about:blank
and not :
About config -> browser.newtab.url -> about:logopage
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-22, 14:51

Ehm, and if i wish a blank page (without logo) ?
Agreed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 18:34

You can do it manually. I'm not adding more options. The logo page is a blank (contentless) page. If you hate it, manually set browser.newtab.url to about:blank

Also, therube: app.php/rules#me-too
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-22, 19:38

I did it and guess what's happened ?
i see now :
Tools -> Preferences -> Tabs -> when opening a new tab, show a custom url

I have now 5 choices ! :D

:angel:

ps and off topic :
"If you hate it" -> of course i don't hate it, this is simply a choice among others choices :)
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.