palemoon default search engine

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pr0fessor

palemoon default search engine

Unread post by pr0fessor » 2018-09-22, 07:26

Hello,
I start to use palemoon from version 27 (because firefox esr become slow and changed to quantum engine). since then it's impossible to change default search engine (i want google). the only way is to delete DuckDuckGo-palemoon.xml... First i edited in about:config to google (after installing google.xml) and after restart default search was revert again to duckduckgo. edited prefs.js directly with lock_pref... on first start palemoon - success, but on next start search again was set to duckduckgo (the lock_pref... line was deleted) why?

This not corresponding with written in right of logo:

sorry for my bad English

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon default search engine

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 08:29

Nonsense.

But what puzzles me is why you are trying to "hack" the change of search engine, when all you have to do is select your preferred default one from the search box drop-down.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (24.91 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

pr0fessor

Unread post by pr0fessor » 2018-09-22, 08:51

and where is "set default" button?
from manage you can move edit, move up/down and delete...
edit:
now it's working... maybe is bug... not working first couple startups
Last edited by pr0fessor on 2018-09-22, 08:58, edited 3 times in total.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-22, 09:17

@pr0fessor

If you like Pale Moon and if you want to give minimal support, leaving DuckDuckGo as default is the least thing you can do.
This project is for some a full time job!
Please think about it.
In case DuckDuckGo doesn't give you the right results you still can make a second search query with another search engine.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2018-09-22, 12:35

"default" is what selected in search box. yes, that easy: you selected it in search box, and it becomes your new default. no additional actions required.