28.1.0 changed some user settings

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

28.1.0 changed some user settings

Unread post by basicuser » 2018-09-20, 20:08

This is not criticism, just an observation that the new update will reset some user settings if they don't match the update.

Just sayin' folks might want to review their settings.
Stay away from crowds.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: 28.1.0 changed some user settings

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-20, 20:11

What settings did the update change for you?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-20, 20:11

basicuser wrote:This is not criticism, just an observation that the new update will reset some user settings if they don't match the update.
Just sayin' folks might want to review their settings.
Which settings specifically are you talking about?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-09-20, 21:13

The only thing I see that changed was the saved session from shutdown to install, and restart. All it restarted with was the homepage, lost about 15 or so tabs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2018-09-20, 22:08

Which settings specifically are you talking about?[/quote]
@Moonchild:

OK, this is what I found, others will vary:

1. Under Preferences>Privacy>History "Clear history when Pale Moon closes" was un-checked, and then under "Settings for Clearing History", "Saved passwords", "Offline Website Data" and "Site connectivity data" were all un-checked.

2. Under Preferences>Privacy>Tracking, the update re-checked "Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked".

3. Under Preferences>Privacy>Location Bar> "When using the location bar suggest:" the update re-checked "History", "Bookmarks" and "Open tabs".

4. Under Preferences>Advanced> "Never check for updates" was changed to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them".

5. Under Preferences>Advanced>Update> "Automatically update: Search Engines" was re-checked.

6. Under about:config> "geo.enabled" was changed from "false" to "true".

7. Under Pale Moon Commander Security>Privacy> "Spoof referrer to target URL" was un-checked.

8. Under Pale Moon Commander Security>Privacy> "Enable browser location awareness" was re-checked.

So basically the settings one would get with a brand new installation of PM. Not all of my changes in config were changed, just as noted.
Last edited by basicuser on 2018-09-20, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Stay away from crowds.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-20, 22:18

basicuser wrote: 2. Under Preferences>Privacy>Tracking, the update re-checked "Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked".
So basically the settings one would get with a brand new installation of PM.
I'm pretty sure that (2) is not a default pref.
Still off here, after the upgrade. As it should be.

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2018-09-20, 22:54

doofy wrote:
basicuser wrote: 2. Under Preferences>Privacy>Tracking, the update re-checked "Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked".
So basically the settings one would get with a brand new installation of PM.
I'm pretty sure that (2) is not a default pref.
Still off here, after the upgrade. As it should be.
I just upgraded 28.0.0 32bit on a W7 Home 64bit desk top to 28.1.0 and and have to say do not see the same changes as on the W7 Pro box even though both had the same settings. Item 2 did stay un-checked.
Last edited by basicuser on 2018-09-20, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Stay away from crowds.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-20, 22:58

Well, whatever happened there makes no sense since there were zero changes in the code that would touch rather obscure settings. They are not limited to one particular tree either so I think something else is going on here that possibly corrupted your prefs file, causing a reset on next start for being unable to be loaded.
That kind of corruption can be caused by an extension, external program, or similar.

Providing the output of help -> troubleshooting information might help shed light. Also, what version did you update -from-? Were you still on v27 before?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-20, 23:05

basicuser wrote:I just upgraded 28.0.0 32bit on a W7 Home 64bit desk top to 28.1.0 and and have to say do not see the same changes as on the W7 Pro box even though both had the same settings. Item 2 did stay un-checked.
I'm on win7 pro too...

I reckon that your OP should not read: "the new update will reset some user settings if they don't match the update. "

...and, rather than claiming a general prob, it should simply reflect the fact that you have noticed a prob for yourself.

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2018-09-21, 01:15

@Moonchild:
"Also, what version did you update -from-? Were you still on v27 before?"

I upgraded from 28.0.1.

Unfortunately I don't have a pre update copy of Troubleshooting Information for comparison.

I just installed 28.1.0 portable on a 3.0 thumb drive to check and those default settings are what the upgrade pretty much changed my settings to, except item 2, which I screwed up. And I realize that the default settings in portable do not prove that the upgrade to 28.1.0 of the W7 Pro from 2.0.1 changed anything.

---
@doofy:

"...and, rather than claiming a general prob, it should simply reflect the fact that you have noticed a prob for yourself. "

Maybe. I do heavily tweak the settings and add-ons. In the end, it's good policy to check settings after any update.
Stay away from crowds.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-21, 07:36

basicuser wrote:I upgraded from 28.0.1.
Most definitely nothing intentional as hinted at, or anything by design. If it was a cross-milestone migration I might have chalked it up to the migration process not being flawless, but simply updating to the next developed release should certainly never reset your preferences.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-09-21, 21:01

I prevent my preferred important settings from getting changed without my consent by having a user.js file with my settings in it. If anything does get changed in preferences, it gets changed right back again automatically.