What is the basic difference between vs 27.x and 28.x?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
prosecco

What is the basic difference between vs 27.x and 28.x?

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 13:49

I would like to know what the basic difference is between successive versions (the basic ones, like 27 to 28, not 27.4 to 27.5).

I know the digits following the dots show improvement in security and similar things but what is in fact the reason to actually replace one basic version - such as 27 - with a new one?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: What is the basic difference between vs 27.x and 28.x?

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-09-20, 14:04

You can find this info in the Release notes for 28.0.0.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 14:50

trava90 wrote:You can find this info in the Release notes for 28.0.0.
Thanks, but when I look at all the info provided there, it shows a lot of technical details which don't mean really that much to me (although I do have an idea what it is about of course, I am not illiterate). I am just a Pale Moon user, and I don't really care whether my browser is based on this or that or something other like XUL or UXP or whatever else may come along.

You see what I mean? Those release pages were written for technically minded people, who are coders, maintainers, programmers, what have you.

Besides, my question was not pertaining specifically to 28. It was about the basic principle. I mean, once you have something that works, why replace it with something else? Granted you need to make sure glitches, flaws, holes and whatnot are fixed. OK, the upgrade to 28 is something else as there is the XUL migration thing but this is a special case.
Last edited by prosecco on 2018-09-20, 14:54, edited 5 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 14:58

So if you don't care that you don't understand the technology behind Pale Moon to the point of not understanding the relnotes which aren't overly technical anyway.. Then why are you asking at all?

By your explaination of your situation and position on such matters you won't understand any responce given and won't care in any event.

However, the answer to your question is literally, "lots of technical reasons". Though, this is woefully insufficient in my book but until you care to understand more, you will just have to be happy with that.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-20, 15:10

If you are not interested in any details, then a simple "it's better" should be enough to answer the question, right?
prosecco wrote:Those release pages were written for technically minded people, who are coders, maintainers, programmers, what have you.
Not really true, with a simple Google search anyone can understand most technical aspects of those notes. Perhaps your real issue is lack of time, or lack of interest?
prosecco wrote:...once you have something that works, why replace it with something else? Granted you need to make sure glitches, flaws, holes and whatnot are fixed.
You answered your own question. Also, 27 was having issues with an increasing number of websites. Nothing dramatic, but prevention and improvement are good things.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 15:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:So if you don't care that you don't understand the technology behind Pale Moon to the point of not understanding the relnotes which aren't overly technical anyway.. Then why are you asking at all?
Obviously there is somlething wrong with your reasoning. You are assuming things. Just accept that, if I ask those questions, I do care about knowing something about it.

Can you answer? If you can, please do and I will thank you.
Last edited by prosecco on 2018-09-20, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 15:50

prosecco wrote:Obviously there is somlething wrong with your reasoning. You are assuming things. Just accept that, if I ask those questions, I do care about knowing something about it.

I can.. but is it worth my time to dive into a technical and historical answer? Maybe, if you want some background on why we do the things we all do you should look at my post history or those threads leading up to UXP. It is all there but it may be too technical to someone who finds the Release Notes too technical. But I doubt you will cause you said your self you don't care about the technology the browser runs on.. uhh hmm..
prosecco wrote:Those release pages were written for technically minded people, who are coders, maintainers, programmers, what have you.
prosecco wrote:I don't really care whether my browser is based on this or that
Right, no it won't help you. I stand by my previous post, then.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 15:56

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
prosecco wrote:Obviously there is somlething wrong with your reasoning. You are assuming things. Just accept that, if I ask those questions, I do care about knowing something about it.

I can.. but is it worth my time to dive into a technical and historical answer? Maybe, if you want some background on why we do the things we all do you should look at my post history or those threads leading up to UXP. It is all there but it may be too technical to someone who finds the Release Notes too technical. But I doubt you will cause you said your self you don't care about the technology the browser runs on.. uhh hmm..
prosecco wrote:I don't really care whether my browser is based on this or that
Right, no it won't help you. I stand by my previous post, then.
No man, I won't look at your post history.... I have not come here to study someone's post history who can't be bothere to answer a question even while stating he can, and looking for justification in what I wrote... no thanks very much.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-20, 15:56

Short.

27 is no longer supported or updated. Period.

28 is supported & updated.

Longer.

27 was based off of FF 38, a relatively ancient version of FF that, & even though PM 27 itself was kept more up to date, was running into more & more compatibility issues with "current" websites.

28 is based on FF 52, far more recent.
Is supported, is updated, including security updates.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-20, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 16:04

back2themoon wrote:If you are not interested in any details, then a simple "it's better" should be enough to answer the question, right?
Not really true, with a simple Google search anyone can understand most technical aspects of those notes. Perhaps your real issue is lack of time, or lack of interest?
prosecco wrote:...once you have something that works, why replace it with something else? Granted you need to make sure glitches, flaws, holes and whatnot are fixed.
You answered your own question. Also, 27 was having issues with an increasing number of websites. Nothing dramatic, but prevention and improvement are good things.
- I did not say I am not interested in details. Read my post to know what I *really* said.

-You are correct, it's a time issue. BTW... many, many Google searches resulted in what I already do understane. But Google searches can be incredibly time consuming. I don't think I have to explain that. What are tech forums for, anyway?

-I don't think I answered my own question. Maybe you misunderstood. In line with what I wrote earlier - why not just solve those issues 27 was having, and then maybe call it 27.8.47 or something - rather than actually start a new version? I am deliberately ignoring the migration to UXP issue for the sake of the argument.

You see what I mean, I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
Last edited by prosecco on 2018-09-20, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-09-20, 16:08

Thanks.
I suspect the OP hasn't read the section labelled v28.0.0 (2018-08-16) and was intimidated by the technical but minor details on the top.

Instead they probably provide an answer to my question/problem (and raise a secondary question).

I am in the (slow) process of replacing my machine and OS (opensuse 11) with another machine with upgraded OS (opensuse leap 42), Actually I started the process before summer, but I've still to switch to the new machine (which is on but is not yet the production one). So on the new one I have palemoon 27 and checked my profile, addons, plugins under a test user. Now I was puzzled by the numerous messages on the forum reporting problems with 28, and wondering whether I should switch to 28 or stay with 27 on the new machine. In general I consider that it is physiological than "new major version have problems" and therefore I prefer to stay with older ones (or "wait for 2 or 3 minor version increase" :D).

But the list of improvements in the release notes for v28.0.0 looks attractive to give it a try (since i'm not yet in production it can be harmless).

Now I see a section "Updates to the login manager" ... in particular where it says "with or without a user name". I've never used or been aware of such a native component. I use a plugin "saved password editor" (that specifically sort-of overcomes problems with sites storing password without usernames). Should I assume that the new login manager makes the plugin unnecessary ? And can I import all saved info from the plugin to the new manager ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 16:19

therube wrote:Short.

This is not an answer, don't you see?

The question is: why was the decision taken to no longer support or update 27, and rather start a new "model" so to speak? And this goes for any version - 26, 25, 24,.. whatever. Not 27/28 particularly as I want to keep the UXP issue out of this, it is not relevant to my question.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-20, 16:20

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
Thanks.
I suspect the OP hasn't read the section labelled v28.0.0 (2018-08-16) and was intimidated by the technical but minor details on the top.

You happen to be suspecting wrongly.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-20, 16:25

@ prosecco
why not just solve those issues 27 was having, and then maybe call it 27.8.47 or something - rather than actually start a new version?
maybe if you read what MC wrote here :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20455#p152708
"We were not far removed from being able to continue on Tycho, were it not for several landmark features we needed help with and despite bounties being available nobody, not a single person, was willing to help out with. With the re-fork and additional coding on top of that we are past that point, with all core features of ES6, ES2016 and ES2017 implemented, and we should be able to keep pace with any additions that are going to be made mostly as addenda -- things have slowed down considerably in terms of the essentials of scripting (thankfully -- the JS spec is already quite insane with what it has become, trying to provide just about all common-language paradigms in one)."
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 16:47

Assuming therube's assessment wasn't missing quite a bit more specific details beyond the initial fork off points for Tycho and UXP and the fact that Pale Moon 27 nor Pale Moon 28 is based off the Firefox version that matches those initial fork off points (indeed Pale Moon's application code was forward ported in its entirety up the line and there have been many advancements, backports, forwardports, and original, never before seen, independent developmental changes all over the place)..

prosecco, if you will not accept that as an answer, then you are either too dim to grasp basic concepts or are a troll out to mess with us..

In either event, we cannot help you and I suggest the rest of the forum ignore the OP and this thread from here on out. At least until he decides to learn something and not wear his deliberately chosen state of ignorance as a badge of honor that we must respect and cater to.

Everything anyone needs to know is out there and a large part of it is contained in my and Moonchild's post history but also all over the forum in general.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 17:00, edited 12 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-20, 17:06

prosecco wrote:The question is: why was the decision taken to no longer support or update 27, and rather start a new "model" so to speak? And this goes for any version - 26, 25, 24,.. whatever. Not 27/28 particularly as I want to keep the UXP issue out of this, it is not relevant to my question.
You have already been given the answer, but I'll try one last time. Numbers in Pale Moon updates have indeed a meaning. Small increments (for example, from 27.0.1 to 27.0.2) denote a minor update (maintenance, minor fixes). Higher ones (27.1 to 27.2) denote a more significant update (security, new features etc.). A jump from 26 to 27, 27 to 28 etc. denotes a major update, often a "model/technology" update as you mentioned.

Remember when I told you that an increasing number of websites had problems with 27? This problem could only be solved with such a "model" update (27 to 28). The problem did exist, whether you were aware of it or not. There were of course other issues/improvements etc. that also required the 27=>28 jump but no details allowed.

Hope it's more clear now and that you cannot ignore the "UXP issue or whatever" because it is part of the solution and one of the reasons it had to be 27 to 28 and not 27.x.x to 27.x.x.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-20, 17:21

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:Now I see a section "Updates to the login manager" ... in particular where it says "with or without a user name". I've never used or been aware of such a native component. I use a plugin "saved password editor" (that specifically sort-of overcomes problems with sites storing password without usernames). Should I assume that the new login manager makes the plugin unnecessary ? And can I import all saved info from the plugin to the new manager ?
I'd say backup your profile and go for the update - 28 works just fine. Of course, if you use many extensions some may not work, or may require updating. About your question and assuming you are talking about this:

This extension (not a plugin) does not store any data itself. It uses Pale Moon's in-built password manager (see here and also the forum) so all your saved passwords will transfer automatically to 28. This extension just makes it a bit easier to enter and edit the password manager data, but you can use the in-built manager without this extension. I don't know if it is compatible with 28 - you can try it.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-20, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 17:26

@back2themoon is close but it goes Milestone.Major.Minor.Out-of-Band
  • Milestone means massive backwards incompatible changes like a platform change in the case of 28.0.0 and 27.0.0 or just huge amount of changes worthy of the 'new milestone' label. Like 26.0.0 and 25.0.0
  • Major means things like new and changed features and big fixes which may have some compatibility changes and such. Like 28.1.0 vs 28.0.0
  • Minor means small fixes or security updates. Like 27.9.4 vs 27.9.3
The fourth version point is rarely used, denoting an out-of-band update for a specific OS or architecture like Windows or Linux sometimes even between 32bit and 64bit only on one platform. Such as 28.0.0.1 for Windows only or 26.4.0.1 for Linux only.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 17:35, edited 7 times in total.

pompste007

Unread post by pompste007 » 2018-09-20, 19:34

back2themoon wrote:
prosecco wrote:The question is: why was the decision taken to no longer support or update 27, and rather start a new "model" so to speak? And this goes for any version - 26, 25, 24,.. whatever. Not 27/28 particularly as I want to keep the UXP issue out of this, it is not relevant to my question.
You have already been given the answer, but I'll try one last time. Numbers in Pale Moon updates have indeed a meaning. Small increments (for example, from 27.0.1 to 27.0.2) denote a minor update (maintenance, minor fixes). Higher ones (27.1 to 27.2) denote a more significant update (security, new features etc.). A jump from 26 to 27, 27 to 28 etc. denotes a major update, often a "model/technology" update as you mentioned.

Remember when I told you that an increasing number of websites had problems with 27? This problem could only be solved with such a "model" update (27 to 28). The problem did exist, whether you were aware of it or not. There were of course other issues/improvements etc. that also required the 27=>28 jump but no details allowed.

Hope it's more clear now and that you cannot ignore the "UXP issue or whatever" because it is part of the solution and one of the reasons it had to be 27 to 28 and not 27.x.x to 27.x.x.
Very well explained!
I have been holding off updating from 27.9.4 until I read your helpful info.
I updated to 28.1.0 today and it`s running great.
Thanks much!

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2018-09-20, 21:26

I agree somehow with @prosecco .The explanations from each release are too technical. I think at least 90 % from users of any browser don't understand this kind of techinacal explanation because they work in other branches and have no skills in this domain. Maybe after each technical explanation you should write wich from the following features improves : browser speed/videos playing/sites compatibility/security/CPu load/RAM consumption/ Interface features..etc. These things are understood by everyone.And I think in this way you will attract more people to use or try PM. Nobody wasting time to search on internet what means XUL, NSS ,TLs, etc, etc etc It's like when you go to doctor for dick pain and the doctor tells you have "Treponema pallidum " instead of syphilis. ;)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64