What is the basic difference between vs 27.x and 28.x?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: What is the basic difference between vs 27.x and 28.x?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2018-09-21, 08:56

back2themoon wrote:I'd say backup your profile and go for the update - 28 works just fine. Of course, if you use many extensions some may not work, or may require updating. About your question and assuming you are talking about this:
I was too lazy :D to go back and check (press button on KVM switch to jump to the new machine, log off root and log on the test user where I tested PM 27),
but my notes say "Saved Password Editor 2.7.3.1 orange" so the old version I was using on 26 was tagged "orange = firefox compatibility" on 27 (but the colour coding for the addons was rather helpful during the move)
back2themoon wrote:IThis extension (not a plugin) does not store any data itself. ... I don't know if it is compatible with 28 - you can try it.
Thanks. Will do. What you say is informative and rather promising.
Last edited by Lucio Chiappetti on 2018-09-21, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-23, 13:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Assuming therube's assessment wasn't missing quite a bit more specific details beyond the initial fork off points for Tycho and UXP and the fact that Pale Moon 27 nor Pale Moon 28 is based off the Firefox version that matches those initial fork off points (indeed Pale Moon's application code was forward ported in its entirety up the line and there have been many advancements, backports, forwardports, and original, never before seen, independent developmental changes all over the place)..

prosecco, if you will not accept that as an answer, then you are either too dim to grasp basic concepts or are a troll out to mess with us..

In either event, we cannot help you and I suggest the rest of the forum ignore the OP and this thread from here on out. At least until he decides to learn something and not wear his deliberately chosen state of ignorance as a badge of honor that we must respect and cater to.

Everything anyone needs to know is out there and a large part of it is contained in my and Moonchild's post history but also all over the forum in general.
Thank you very much for insulting me and for your condescending ways.

I have not come here to spend my time bickering and fighting. Maybe you don't realize it, but we have met before - I already left this board once because your unwilling, unhelpful and condescending ways. I have a life to live outside of this forum and I cannot accept types such as you messing with me as you are doing.

The first part of your reply may be informative but there was no need adding what you wrote after that. It is simply disturbing. It shows you have issues as you are getting personal and are trying to get at me.

I think you should be reported (if this were Reddit, I would have reported you a long time ago) because the troll is you - not me.
Last edited by prosecco on 2018-09-23, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

prosecco

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-23, 13:53

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
therube wrote: And so long as I aware of such potentialities I don't have to understand the actual underpinnings of those techy words (that are escaping me, presently). Unified, that's it, UXP.
And that is the crux of the situation in a nut shell. The issue with the OP is that
he clearly states that he does not have even the basic understanding of the terms
and that he neither wants to understand them nor cares what they mean.

How are we supposed to explain anything with that type of response? :crazy:
And how should YOUR reponse be understood?

The simple answer is: it is a troll response as you are in fact only misrepresenting what I said, what I meant, and what I came here for.

This forum should praise itself lucky it still has same sane people here but there are also some who clearly have issues and are in fact trying to "solve" them through projecting them onto someone who was asking a question and expected to receive an answer - NOT insults, condescending replies, or assumptions of anything misrepresented as facts.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-23, 14:06

Give it up prosecco, you already got a lot of proper, qualified and polite answers and still insist. Also, stop giving moral lessons no one is interested in.

Here's a suggestion:

1. Find a nice, paid program that you like.
2. Go to their forums and post with the same tone and insistence you did here.
3. See what happens.

It seems that with free software, some people think they have the right to pretty much everything and forget about common sense. Decency, too.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-23, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-23, 18:04

therube wrote: And so long as I aware of such potentialities I don't have to understand the actual underpinnings of those techy words (that are escaping me, presently). Unified, that's it, UXP.
And that is the crux of the situation in a nut shell. The issue with the OP is that
he clearly states that he does not have even the basic understanding of the terms
and that he neither wants to understand them nor cares what they mean.

How are we supposed to explain anything with that type of response? :crazy:
And how should YOUR reponse be understood?
The simple answer is: it is a troll response as you are in fact only misrepresenting what I said, what I meant, and what I came here for.
Normally I would just leave this be, but I'm going to respond one more time for my own peace of mind.

What is a Troll?
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
Since you clearly stated in your second post that:
Thanks, but when I look at all the info provided there, it shows a lot of technical details which don't mean really that much to me (although I do have an idea what it is about of course, I am not illiterate). I am just a Pale Moon user, and I don't really care whether my browser is based on this or that or something other like XUL or UXP or whatever else may come along.
Then my quoted response obviously does not fit the definition of a "Troll".

It is sad that I actually took the time to answer your questions to the best of my ability
with the amount of information you actually said you wanted. No response to that HUH? :wtf:
This forum should praise itself lucky it still has same sane people here but there are also some who clearly have issues and are in fact trying to "solve" them through projecting them onto someone who was asking a question and expected to receive an answer - NOT insults, condescending replies, or assumptions of anything misrepresented as facts.
So in fact, you have shown yourself to fit that definition of a Troll after getting numerous
answers to your original question but still find time to come back here and Troll by:
being a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses
It is time to close this thread Forum moderators as this topic is now closed to any
additional information pertaining it and the OP has shown himself to do exactly what
he accuses us of doing. :think: In fact, a warning should be given him for this exact behavior. :!:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-09-23, 19:04

27 has issues with today's web requirements - 28 works much better with today's web requirements. Nothing more to be said.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-24, 00:29

Moonchild wrote:Someone can step up and offer to make a "simple" version of the release notes every time we have a new release that explains everything in a limited vocabulary that doesn't require anyone reading it to actually use more than 5% of their brain, let alone having to use the web (gasp!)to learn what certain terms mean. This "simple" version should provide a complete translation/transcription of the "technical" release notes, not leaving anything out or making things too ambiguous.
I would be willing to try.

Of course, I would need to be able to present a draft and get feedback from developers to make sure everything is correct before releasing to the public. (I assume Github would the place for that.)

This is a serious offer.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-09-24, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-24, 00:57

gracious1 wrote:I would be willing to try. ... This is a serious offer.
Kudos for that.

But. I put it to you that there are but 2 classes of peep: those that read release notes, and those that don't. And I suggest to you (and MC) that the makeup of those 2 classes will not change one iota if a "release notes for dummies" is introduced.

All that changes is that you have to do some work, and the devs have to do a bit more work.

And for what? So that the OP gets to make another "success" scratch on the damp stones under his bridge.

And, god only knows, this thread has given him enough of those already...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-24, 23:17

All the same, the offer's on the table. Just let me know one way or the other.
-g.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-25, 07:52

gracious1 wrote:All the same, the offer's on the table. Just let me know one way or the other.
-g.
Certainly appreciated. E-mail me to work out how best to do this. Send me a PM if you don't have my e-mail address.

With that said, I'm closing this box of mostly jabber and little substance otherwise.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-25, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite