PM not opening .msi files from download manager

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fillerup

PM not opening .msi files from download manager

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 13:42

Hi, PM 28.1.0 came out right when i'm in the middle of a fresh Windows install. downloaded a .msi file, Ctrl J to bring up the internal downloads manager, double clicking on the file but nothing happens. other file types that i've tried work fine, including .exe, .zip, and .pdf. the .msi in question is this: https://github.com/keepassxreboot/keepa ... -Win64.msi

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PM not opening .msi files from download manager

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-20, 16:27

Is this a change in behavior change between 28.0.1 & 28.1.0 ?

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 16:54

downgraded to 28.0.1 to test, also not working. maybe someone with 27.x.x can help out..

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-20, 17:07

Confirmed, see Issue #780 (UXP).

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 17:11

JustOff wrote:Confirmed, see Issue #780 (UXP).
thanks very much for filing that report. how do you get this error console on windows? if i know how to provide that additional data next time i can file my own bug reports

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-20, 17:16

fillerup wrote:how do you get this error console on windows?
Tools > Web Developer > Error Console. This or you could start Pale Moon with -jsconsole switch.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-20, 17:16

fillerup wrote:thanks very much for filing that report. how do you get this error console on windows?
Ctrl+Shift+J.
if i know how to provide that additional data next time i can file my own bug reports
Yes, that would be always appropriate :thumbup:

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 17:27

yami_ wrote:Tools > Web Developer > Error Console. This or you could start Pale Moon with -jsconsole switch.
hmm this error console has time stamp, which makes me prefer it over the browser console. however, the overall information provided by the browser console is a lot more comprehensive..

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-20, 17:38

You can set devtools.webconsole.timestampMessages -> true to enable timestamp in Browser Console (there is also a corresponding option in the devtools preferences).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 17:44

fillerup wrote:the overall information provided by the browser console is a lot more comprehensive..
No it isn't. It is however, more condensed which I find difficult to use. Also the devtools run like shit and are worthless if something goes wrong.. However, the Toolkit Error Console which as of UXP can be opened not only by -jsconsole, the main menu, but also in-content via about:console is far more useful in dealing with non-webpage specific error tracking.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-20, 17:44

JustOff wrote:You can set devtools.webconsole.timestampMessages -> true to enable timestamp in Browser Console (there is also a corresponding option in the devtools preferences).
PM God custom title when :D
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
fillerup wrote:the overall information provided by the browser console is a lot more comprehensive..
No it isn't.
well, the output of browser console is a hell lot more than the error console, all that extra text has gotta be useful somehow..
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-20, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-20, 17:52

Off-topic:
Luckily we have a choice which console to use and it's great :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 17:53

Not in my builds or projects ;)