HTML 5 videos won't play Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

HTML 5 videos won't play

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-09-18, 03:56

Win , PM 27.9.4

Greetings!

I'm getting this message:
Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click here to visit our FAQ about HTML5 video.

This is happening on YouTube videos, both embedded and on their site. Their FAQ doesn't seem to help. What might I do to be able to play these videos?

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HTML 5 videos won't play

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 08:49

You could start by reading their FAQ?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-18, 12:34

This is happening on YouTube videos
URLs that don't work?

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-09-18, 18:27

I have seen that message when I tried to use Safari to play YouTube videos, but not Pale Moon. The reason given was that Safari cannot handle 4 out of the 6 video formats they use.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-09-18, 20:16

therube wrote:
This is happening on YouTube videos
URLs that don't work?
Yes, I believe that's a way to put it. The video frame shows up, and that error message appears inside.

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2018-09-19, 14:09

Same issue here. This just started happening today. Nearly all videos no longer play, although the odd one still does for no apparent reason. Seems to be something hapening on the Youtube end of things.

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2018-09-20, 07:51

The issue still persists.

I am using PM Version: 27.9.0 (32-bit) on Windows Vista.
As a result (according to the Youtube HTML5 Video Player page) my browser supports:
- HTMLVideoElement
- WebM VP8
- Media Source Extensions
- with the "HTML5 player currently used when possible."

Meanwhile, my browser does not support:
- H.264
- MSE & H.264
- MSE & WebM VP9

Until the last few days I had no problem playing any videos on Youtube via these settings, aside from the occasional newly uploaded video which would produce the above error for a few days (I assume, because the video had not been converted to HTML5 yet). Now, however, the "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" error appears on roughly 75% of all videos I attempt to view, including videos I had previously viewed without issue.

For a concrete example, currently this video plays fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9opcAg3dJEc
Whereas this video produces the error:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs

Is anyone out there able to analyze what the difference between these videos might now be?

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-09-20, 09:38

evcco wrote:The issue still persists.

As a result (according to the Youtube HTML5 Video Player page) my browser supports:
- HTMLVideoElement
- WebM VP8

- H.264
- MSE & H.264
- MSE & WebM VP9

Until the last few days I had no problem playing any videos on Youtube via these settings, aside from the occasional newly uploaded video which would produce the above error for a few days (I assume, because the video had not been converted to HTML5 yet). Now, however, the "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" error appears on roughly 75% of all videos I attempt to view, including videos I had previously viewed without issue.

Is anyone out there able to analyze what the difference between these videos might now be?
I am running PM 27.9.4, and I get the same results from YouTube.

p0k3m0n

Unread post by p0k3m0n » 2018-09-20, 09:42

28.0.1 and everything on my end works fine.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-09-20, 10:18

AFAIK there is no official support anymore for Pale Moon 27 and older OSs than Win7.
I have no WinXP or Vista to test with but you might consider to test some unofficial forks (like these ones) of Pale Moon which might still work with YouTube.
Last edited by gepus on 2018-09-20, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-20, 10:41

evcco wrote:The issue still persists.

- HTMLVideoElement
- WebM VP8

- H.264
- MSE & H.264
- MSE & WebM VP9

Now, however, the "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" error appears on roughly 75% of all videos I attempt to view, including videos I had previously viewed without issue.

I can play both of your videos in the links above whether I'm using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 and also using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce.

I also have both windows and linux Adobe Flash 31.0.0.108 installed for Pale Moon because on some of the sites I visit everyday, Adobe Flash is required. Do you have Adobe Flash 31.0.0.108 installed?

Whether I'm using windows or linux Pale Moon all of the video formats you listed above, they are "all" supported.

Your version of window Pale Moon is old. That could be a problem. But I suspect your Vista operating system might be the culprit. Windows Vista reached its end of life on April 11th, 2017. Maybe YouTube has begun not supporting Vista any longer. Have you given a thought to that?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-09-20, 10:57

Upgrading to PM 28.x seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the input, everyone!

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2018-09-20, 23:41

Night Wing wrote:Maybe YouTube has begun not supporting Vista any longer. Have you given a thought to that?
Indeed - which is precisely why I mentioned that I'm using Vista in my post. I'm not sure that is entirely the case, however, since, as I said, some videos still play - including brand new videos just uploaded today, which would tend to go against Youtube ceasing Vista support. Thus, my specific question of "Is anyone out there able to analyze the difference between these videos?"

As I do not intend to upgrade from Vista any time in the near future, and since PM 28 apparently isn't compatible with Vista (forks aside), I'm hoping there might just be some quick adjustment to be made in about:config, or something like that, as there was when Google's reCaptcha also recently stopped working, only to be fixed with a new Boolean, helpfully provided on this very forum.

If not, thanks to all anyway. I can still watch Youtube videos through a proxy site perfectly well (for now, at least).
Last edited by evcco on 2018-09-20, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-21, 00:15

evcco wrote:As I do not intend to upgrade from Vista any time in the near future
Why? I recently upgraded from XP to win7 pro 64 bit. For about 150GBP I got a "refurbished" 2.83 quad, 16 GB RAM, 24" monitor, mouse and kb.
Don't take much work to have win7 looking just like win98.

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2018-09-21, 01:17

Cool. If you want to buy me a new laptop too I'll send you my shipping address.
Otherwise, my own very limited budget has higher priorities than computer upgrades at the moment.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-21, 01:23

I suspect your Vista operating system might be the culprit.
Agreed.

PM 27, Win7, mp4 & webm formats (depending on PM Preferences settings), all combinations of both videos play.
PM 26, WinXP, Gustav Holtz would not play but Dvorak does. (I didn't check the formats.)

I also have ... Adobe Flash 31.0.0.108 installed for Pale Moon
Flash is no longer used at Youtube, so irrelevant in this context.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-21, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2018-09-21, 02:12

^ Interesting. Thanks.

Oddly enough, now as I click on the Dvorak video it initially no longer plays either - but then works after refreshing the page a few times. Holtz still refuses.
This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4917dHy84 - picked randomly from the Recently Uploaded selection on the Youtube homepage, however, works fine.

No doubt Vista has something to do with it, but still curious why, then, it doesn't effect all videos - and why new videos work better than old ones.

Additionally, according to https://html5test.com, my browser "scores 397 out of 555 points" for whatever that's worth. The full results of my test are too long to post, but perhaps someone might notice a pertinent field on there and I could relay whether I scored a Yes or No on it.

If all else fails, are there any H.264 PM packs for Vista as in the link from gepus for XP (or do they work for both)?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-21, 03:08

Check also the settings in Preferences | Content -> Video & see if messing with them might change anything?

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2018-09-21, 03:21

evcco wrote:For a concrete example, currently this video plays fine:

Both videos play for me in the WebM VP9 format as shown in the image below.
Attachments
VideoStats.PNG

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2018-09-21, 03:31

therube wrote:Check also the settings in Preferences | Content -> Video & see if messing with them might change anything?
Thanks for this suggestion. I just enabled "MSE for WebM Video". I don't know what that will do, but it seems harmless enough. (Famous last words.)