Pale Moon x64 28.0/28.1 tragically very bad performance

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Pale Moon x64 28.0/28.1 tragically very bad performance

Unread post by porotikos » 2018-09-18, 16:07

again thank you for the pdf fix suggestion. ill try it asap. cheers to all

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 16:23

So.. why are we talking about this? Why hasn't the OP (RMK99) responded? thread derailed much?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-18, 21:16

I've got the exact same problems described, also on a very powerful PC... although I am an extremely heavy web surfer (for work reasons) and often have several hundred tabs open, plus important addons. (Like 40 of them.) Also, it affects every web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Palemoon, etc.; I use palemoon as my primary because it is more stable than the others under my heavy loads. The others often just crash.

I did find that 28.0.1 x64 on Win10 was slower than 27.x, but it did fix some website rendering issues, so I am overall happy. That said, if there's a way to do performance profiling on either my addons or the browser itself, I would love to mess around with a debug build and get some data like how much time is spent everywhere. I can just restore my monstrously huge session into it and see how it copes. :D

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I can code in Javascript, Java, Batch and a few other scripting languages, but not so much C++. Can probably still figure out the compiler stuff though with minor guidance or just being pointed to a URL. Did some of that in school, just didn't like it. :lol:
-Kramy

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 02:10

Kramy wrote:I've got the exact same problems described, also on a very powerful PC... although I am an extremely heavy web surfer (for work reasons) and often have several hundred tabs open, plus important addons. (Like 40 of them.) Also, it affects every web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Palemoon, etc.; I use palemoon as my primary because it is more stable than the others under my heavy loads. The others often just crash.

I did find that 28.0.1 x64 on Win10 was slower than 27.x, but it did fix some website rendering issues, so I am overall happy. That said, if there's a way to do performance profiling on either my addons or the browser itself, I would love to mess around with a debug build and get some data like how much time is spent everywhere. I can just restore my monstrously huge session into it and see how it copes. :D

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I can code in Javascript, Java, Batch and a few other scripting languages, but not so much C++. Can probably still figure out the compiler stuff though with minor guidance or just being pointed to a URL. Did some of that in school, just didn't like it. :lol:
have you considered splitting your tabs across two profiles/instances of PM?

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-19, 04:07

fillerup wrote:have you considered splitting your tabs across two profiles/instances of PM?
Yes, I already utilize 6 instances total of PaleMoon, Chrome, Opera, Firefox. (4 portable) They're all pretty slow, regardless. I need some profiling done to figure out what would improve the situation. (Other than less tabs, of course.)
-Kramy

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 04:25

Kramy wrote:Yes, I already utilize 6 instances total of PaleMoon, Chrome, Opera, Firefox. (4 portable) They're all pretty slow, regardless. I need some profiling done to figure out what would improve the situation. (Other than less tabs, of course.)
oof. well, how old is your profile? if it is from the previous version, i suggested you make a new one to eliminate any possible cruft that may be weighing it down.

if you don't mind, can you post the list of your addons? maybe we can see if something is drastically impacting performance, or if there are better alternatives available
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-19, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-19, 07:29

fillerup wrote:
Kramy wrote:Yes, I already utilize 6 instances total of PaleMoon, Chrome, Opera, Firefox. (4 portable) They're all pretty slow, regardless. I need some profiling done to figure out what would improve the situation. (Other than less tabs, of course.)
oof. well, how old is your profile? if it is from the previous version, i suggested you make a new one to eliminate any possible cruft that may be weighing it down.

if you don't mind, can you post the list of your addons? maybe we can see if something is drastically impacting performance, or if there are better alternatives available
I am pretty sure several addons are drastically weighing down performance. (NoScript for example?) I'd rather get profiling data (if there is a way) and then take a stab at rewriting parts of them to improve things.

These are the main public ones:

Code: Select all

-Adblock Latitude
-Automatic Save Folder
-Classic Style for Favicons
-CLEO
-Complete YouTube Saver
-Decentraleyes
-DOM Inspector
-Download Statusbar
-Element Hiding Helper
-FasterFox Lite
-FEBE (Backup)
-Flagfox
-FoxyMeter
-Google Search Link Fix
-Google Translator for Pale Moon
-Greasemonkey
-Header Spy
-HTTP/2 SPDY Indicator
-HTTPS Everywhere
-IE Netrender
-IE Tab 2
-JSView Revive
-Keyword Search
-Lazarus Form Recovery
-Memory Restart
-Menu Editor
-Moz Archiver
-NoScript
-OPIE2
-Redirect Remover
-Screengrab (fix version)
-Smart Referer
-Snap Links Plus
-Stay-Open Menu
-Stylish
-Tab Mix Plus
-Theme Compatibility Provider
-Theme Tweaker
-Theme Tool
-User Agent Switcher
-View Cookies
There's also a bunch of greasemonkey scripts and private addons and other things. Pretty sure the answer here will just be "nuke them and start over in a fresh profile", but that won't really cure the problem if I need features from one addon or another. I'm willing to put in legwork if there's actually a way to profile and see how much time is being spent in different areas of the code.

Profile is pretty old. I don't have a specific date. Years, at least.
-Kramy

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-19, 13:42

Kramy wrote:Pretty sure the answer here will just be "nuke them and start over in a fresh profile"...Profile is pretty old. I don't have a specific date. Years, at least.
yep, seems like a good time to start over. even if just to remove the superfluous settings and config bloat that accumulated over the years

as for your addons:

- uBlock Origin is less RAM intensive than the Adblock family

- CYS is no longer compatible with the latest PM i if i'm not mistaken

- Don't use speed boosting extensions like Fasterfox, they have long been obsolete

- FEBE also no longer working with PM 28 i believe

- Greasemonkey for PM or the old FF version?

- As stated, Noscript brings huge performance hits on certain websites, most notably CSS heavy sites like reddit. only use it if you value the additional security over speed like me

- Stylish should be upgraded to Stylem, which is a fork of old Stylish before it went rouge. made by our very own LootyHoof

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-20, 01:05

fillerup wrote:FEBE also no longer working with PM 28 i believe
10.3 works here

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-21, 09:44

fillerup wrote:
Kramy wrote:Pretty sure the answer here will just be "nuke them and start over in a fresh profile"...Profile is pretty old. I don't have a specific date. Years, at least.
yep, seems like a good time to start over. even if just to remove the superfluous settings and config bloat that accumulated over the years

as for your addons:

- uBlock Origin is less RAM intensive than the Adblock family

- CYS is no longer compatible with the latest PM i if i'm not mistaken

- Don't use speed boosting extensions like Fasterfox, they have long been obsolete

- Greasemonkey for PM or the old FF version?

- As stated, Noscript brings huge performance hits on certain websites, most notably CSS heavy sites like reddit. only use it if you value the additional security over speed like me

- Stylish should be upgraded to Stylem, which is a fork of old Stylish before it went rouge. made by our very own LootyHoof
1) I was having issues with uBlock, despite having the same filter set. I'll opt for Latitude for now.
2) Removed.
3) It was inactive. Removed.
4) I did notice such a popup, from both it and CLEO.
5) Apparently the old FF version. (3.8) - I have now installed the latest fork version.
6) I do value the security over speed.
7) Done.

I'll report back on whether anything is significantly better in a few days or weeks. Any other suggestions/ideas?
-Kramy

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-21, 11:00

Kramy wrote:I'll report back on whether anything is significantly better in a few days or weeks. Any other suggestions/ideas?
screengrab has some builtin tracking, i would replace it with Fireshot. https everywhere is also memory heavy and mostly redundant these days, i don't see a need for it. that's all i can think of

edit: i don't see anything Keyword Search does that you can't replicate using the browser builtin search
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-21, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-22, 07:15

fillerup wrote:
Kramy wrote:I'll report back on whether anything is significantly better in a few days or weeks. Any other suggestions/ideas?
screengrab has some builtin tracking, i would replace it with Fireshot. https everywhere is also memory heavy and mostly redundant these days, i don't see a need for it. that's all i can think of
Done. I just found a few more addons like Greedy Cache. Added. :D
fillerup wrote:edit: i don't see anything Keyword Search does that you can't replicate using the browser builtin search
Google Browse By Name. It takes an educated guess at getting you to the correct page, but if it isn't really sure, it takes you to a google search page. It's incredibly accurate and is one of the reasons the "AwesomeBar" is awesome.
-Kramy

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-22, 08:49

Kramy wrote:Greedy Cache.
yep that's a good one
Kramy wrote:Google Browse By Name. It takes an educated guess at getting you to the correct page, but if it isn't really sure, it takes you to a google search page. It's incredibly accurate and is one of the reasons the "AwesomeBar" is awesome.
seems like it's identical to Google's I'm Feeling Lucky, which you can get as a search engine from mycroftproject.com

edit: mycroftproject also has some Google Browse by Name engines here for you to choose: https://mycroftproject.com/search-engin ... se+by+name. i've sworn off goolag so i can't test for myself if these two features are similar or different
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-22, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

wavymoon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wavymoon » 2018-09-22, 16:16

fillerup wrote:
Kramy wrote:

Works in 28.1 in Linux Mint 19 after permissions were reset.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-22, 16:53

wavymoon wrote:Works in 28.1 in Linux Mint 19 after permissions were reset.
doofy wrote:10.3 works here
yep, i stand corrected

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-23, 03:21

fillerup wrote:
Kramy wrote:Google Browse By Name. It takes an educated guess at getting you to the correct page, but if it isn't really sure, it takes you to a google search page. It's incredibly accurate and is one of the reasons the "AwesomeBar" is awesome.
seems like it's identical to Google's I'm Feeling Lucky, which you can get as a search engine from mycroftproject.com
They're actually quite different. I'm Feeling Lucky always takes you to the first result, while Browse By Name learns based on what people ultimately click on, then takes you to the first result if it is the correct one, or takes you to a search page if results are mixed. (Ex: Different people click on different results afterwards.) Basically, it only gives you I'm Feeling Lucky if it's close to 100% sure.
fillerup wrote:edit: mycroftproject also has some Google Browse by Name engines here for you to choose: https://mycroftproject.com/search-engin ... se+by+name. i've sworn off goolag so i can't test for myself if these two features are similar or different
I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into axing another addon. :)
-Kramy