DownThemAll 2.0.18.1-signed.1-let-fixed with bugs in Pale Moon 28

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
CAVBR

DownThemAll 2.0.18.1-signed.1-let-fixed with bugs in Pale Moon 28

Unread post by CAVBR » 2018-09-02, 16:50

Hello.
I'm from Brazil, and I'm new here in the forum.
I have been using Pale Moon since 2015.
The operating system on my PC is Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

After updating PaleMoon to version 28, DownThemAll does not open the media management window, or the current tab, or all open tabs.
Even version 28.0.1 has not yet solved this bug.
I felt compelled to downgrade to version 27.9.4 in order to have the feature.
In version 27.9.4, I only have this problem if I upgrade the add-on to version 3.0.6 via Moon Tester Tool.
In version 28.0.1, not even the version of this add-on recommended by Moonchild Productions is working properly.

Is anyone using this add-on experiencing the same problem?
Captura de Tela (185).png
Last edited by CAVBR on 2018-09-02, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: DownThemAll 2.0.18.1-signed.1-let-fixed with bugs in Pale Moon 28

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-02, 18:02

Please search next time! DownThemAll

Version 3.0.8 works with PM 28.*

CAVBR

Unread post by CAVBR » 2018-09-25, 01:14

coffeebreak wrote:Please search next time! DownThemAll

Version 3.0.8 works with PM 28.*
I did the tests in version 28.1.0, and for me, the situation remains the same, @coffebreak
Initially, version 2.0.18 simply became unusable (no command responds, not even the Manager).
In fact, versions 3.0.7 and 3.0.8 work well on Pale Moon as of 28.1.0.
But these newer versions have a bug that developers have not resolved (Speed ​​Limit does not work), so the latest stable version is 3.0.6.
When I downgrade from 3.0.8 to 3.0.6, I have no problems.
But if I restart the browser, the add-on crashes correctly.
And another bug comes up: the browser's "Reload Current Page / Stop loading this page" button disintegrates from the address bar, becoming a separate button, even on the right side of the address bar.
It normalizes if I open the "Toolbar Layout" option.
But if I restart the browser, the bug resumes.
This bug I had from version 3.0.1 through 3.0.8 of DownThemAll.

I emphasize that the problem is in Pale Moon, not the add-on, since these problems do not exist in version 27.9.4, much less in other web browsers based on Mozilla Firefox.
Attachments
Captura de Tela (192).png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-09-25, 03:33

CAVBR wrote:This bug [...]
I emphasize that the problem is in Pale Moon, not the add-on ...

As a first matter, please understand clearly: It is NOT the job of the browser to make itself work with an add-on.
That responsibility belongs to the add-on, and such "bugs", if any, must be taken up with the extension's developer.

For DTA, bugs are reported here: https://github.com/downthemall/downthemall/issues
CAVBR wrote:versions 3.0.7 and 3.0.8 work well on Pale Moon as of 28.1.0.
But these newer versions have a bug that developers have not resolved (Speed ​​Limit does not work)

It appears Speed Limiting doesn't work as well in v3.0.8 as in v3.0.6 (didn't try v3.0.7).
For me it actually did work, but needed roughly a full minute to kick in.

This would be something to report on the extension's github. If the DTA developer chooses to address it, good. If not, then not. But it's not the browser's concern.

Concerning v3.0.6:
CAVBR wrote:When I downgrade from 3.0.8 to 3.0.6, I have no problems.
But if I restart the browser, the add-on crashes correctly.

After restarting the browser immediately after downgrading, it did have trouble restarting, needed a fresh start. Is that what you mean by "crashes correctly"?
It seems to be a one-time thing (related to the downgrade process re those versions, that extension) - all subsequent restarts worked perfectly. Is that not the case for you?
CAVBR wrote:the browser's "Reload Current Page / Stop loading this page" button disintegrates from the address bar, becoming a separate button, even on the right side of the address bar.

I cannot reproduce this.

Make a fresh testing profile, install only DownThemAll, and test again.
If the problem does not reoccur, it's likely due to some combination of your extensions (and their placements). It would need some troubleshooting/experimentation to pinpoint the cause and find a more stable arrangement for your buttons.

EDIT:
Just noticed that you also tacked your complaints onto an existing browser bug report. Please DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.
As said: Problems with an extension are not a browser bug.
And spamming your complaints will not help you get what you seem to want.

I would also mention, in future please post extension issues in the Browser extensions board, not in General Support.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-09-25, 04:52, edited 2 times in total.

CAVBR

Unread post by CAVBR » 2018-09-26, 04:05

coffeebreak wrote: As a first matter, please understand clearly: It is NOT the job of the browser to make itself work with an add-on.
That responsibility belongs to the add-on, and such "bugs", if any, must be taken up with the extension's developer.
Calm down.
The problem I am reporting with version 3.0.6 isn't in the add-on.
And yes on Pale Moon.
Any changes made to version 28 of Pale Moon are causing all that I've reported.
Not that I am suggesting that Moonchild Productions intervene directly in the add-on in question.
coffeebreak wrote:It appears Speed Limiting doesn't work as well in v3.0.8 as in v3.0.6 (didn't try v3.0.7).
For me it actually did work, but needed roughly a full minute to kick in.

This would be something to report on the extension's github. If the DTA developer chooses to address it, good. If not, then not. But it's not the browser's concern.
I would do this if I am sure that add-on development is active.
But it's been over 1 year that the add-on does not get an update (there was not even a concern to update it just thinking about Firefox Quantum).
Therefore, it is understood that the development of DownThemAll has been abandoned.

And having a version 3.0.9 is not my goal.
My goal is to make version 3.0.6 work properly on Pale Moon (and it would work if the changes made by the web browser in version 28 were not for some reason, causing conflict in the add-on's operation).
coffeebreak wrote: It seems to be a one-time thing (related to the downgrade process re those versions, that extension) - all subsequent restarts worked perfectly. Is that not the case for you?
I have noticed that restarting the web browser does not resolve, because the problem will continue if the installed version isn't 3.0.7 or 3.0.8.
I would use 3.0.8 normally, but the bug in this particular version of the add-on (which in this case has nothing to do with Pale Moon) is really annoying in my usage experience, and it is unsatisfactory to use an add- on that is not running 100%, even though the problem resource I occasionally use.

And it was not my intention to spam the other topic.
I just exposed my experience to the other user who was also experiencing problems with the add-on.

The way is to wait for DownThemAll 3.0.6 miraculously to work properly on future versions of Pale Moon, without to have a version 3.0.9, and without Moonchild Productions purposefully act on it (If version 3.0.6 works well on Cyberfox and Waterfox, you can work fine on Pale Moon, too, without modifying the add-on).
Last edited by CAVBR on 2018-09-26, 04:09, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-26, 04:28

CAVBR wrote:The way is to wait for DownThemAll 3.0.6 miraculously to work properly on future versions of Pale Moon, without to have a version 3.0.9, and without Moonchild Productions purposefully act on it (If version 3.0.6 works well on Cyberfox and Waterfox, you can work fine on Pale Moon, too, without modifying the add-on).
Nonsense. Why do you think it is supposed to work out of the box?
Our application front-end is significantly different from Firefox rebuilds (we are a fork, not a rebuild) and as such there is no guarantee that extensions will work unaltered. Firefox extensions can be installed but are not guaranteed to work without changes, period.
It is the task of the extension developer to target Pale Moon. It is not the task of the browser developers to provide compatibility with what is extending a different browser application.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite