how to downgrade to previous Pale Moon version?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
they86

how to downgrade to previous Pale Moon version?

Unread post by they86 » 2018-08-26, 23:58

Hi, since the new update I'm having issues with an add-on that is very important for my 'workflow'.

Can someone explain me how I can (temporarily) downgrade Pale Moon to the version prior of 28.0.0?
I'm not a geek or a tech guy, so I would need some pretty clear instructions to pull that off. :)

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: how to downgrade to previous Pale Moon version?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-27, 00:15

What is the name of the add-on you can't live without?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-27, 07:56

Pale Moon 28 profiles new or upgraded from 27 are not entirely backwards compatible so the short answer is you can't downgrade. In much the same way that one couldn't downgrade 27 profiles back to 26.

Long answer is you can but it will cause profile corruption and data loss as well as other cryptic and nonspecific issues you may or may not visually notice.

This is an authoritative answer to all similar queries. Mods and community members please link to this post where appropriate.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-08-27, 08:02, edited 6 times in total.

they86

Unread post by they86 » 2018-08-27, 19:43

Okay, thanks for your answers...

@ Night Wing: add-on I can't live without is Tab Groups Manager (revived).

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-08-27, 20:30

As New Tobin Paradigm says, you can't revert to an older version from v28.0.0, not with out consequence anyway. You'll need to download one from: Pale Moon Archived versions.
I would suggest using a portable version since it will be for temporary purposes. That way you won't interfere with your installed version.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-28, 06:18

TabGroups Manager revived's CHANGELOG says

Code: Select all

[2017.06.21.011]
- Name: TGM 011.
- Version: 2017.06.21.011
- File: addon-2017.06.21.011-fx.xpi
- Changes:
Fixed compatibility Palemoon and maybe with older Firefox versions.
Increased max version support to Firefox 56 and Palemoon 28.
. Does it not, in fact, work with Pale Moon 28?

they86

Unread post by they86 » 2018-08-29, 00:52

Yeah, it still works, but it used to work better. :d

Getting frequent crashes due to memory errors since the new Pale Moon version...
Before I was getting errors once my session reached 3GB, now I'm getting the crashes at 1,5GB...

I also posted a message on the Tab Groups Manager-forum to see if anyone encounters the same issues as me.

And, just to be sure, I will ask my local IT-guy to do a check-up on my memory, to see if one of the cards is not faulty.
(Unless I can download a program and do these tests by myself? - like I said: I'm not a tech guy... I don't know these kind of things. :) )

Thanks for the replies so far!