Significant performance degradation after upgrade to v28

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Felix_Cold

Re: Significant performance degradation after upgrade to v28

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-23, 18:34

Repeated aforementioned attempt several times with just slightly different result in that even the very process of "portable" browser doesn't appear in task manager, just respective amount of new crash reports identical to first one have appeared in AppCrashView" listing.
Last edited by Felix_Cold on 2018-08-23, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-23, 18:39

Do you use Malwarebytes?

Seems to cause issues with Pale Moon 32 Bit, as in the crash informations was "mozglue" listed:
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=mozglue.dll

In that case you are not alone, as you see here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18481&hilit=mozglue.dll&start=40

I would try to "whitelist" Pale Moon in your anti-virus solution of choice and then see if that error still is around.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-08-23, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-23, 18:51

At least I'm not aware of anything "Malwarebytes" related in my problematic computer.

Searching for location of "mozglue" in that computer gives two results - PM installation (Program Files/Pale Moon) and PM Portable, nothing else.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-23, 18:53

(If Portable is crashing - with a new, clean Profile, then no sense in trying what I suggested above.)

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.
Does Portable still crash?
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-23, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-08-23, 18:56

Felix_Cold wrote:At least I'm not aware of anything "Malwarebytes" related in my problematic computer.

Searching for location of "mozglue" in that computer gives two results - PM installation (Program Files/Pale Moon) and PM Portable, nothing else.
How about the state of your Windows drivers? Graphic card/general drivers? Not up to date drivers can also create partly (not always - but the chance is possible) issues.

Do you have an alternative 32 Bit machine available to see if Pale Moon also has issues there?

Also, booting into Windows safe-mode and testing out again the portable to see if Pale Moon works with a minimalist set of drivers loaded could be useful as suggested already.

And additionally... do you have the same issues with Basilisk too? Uses like Pale Moon UXP:
http://basilisk-browser.org/
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-08-23, 19:05, edited 5 times in total.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-23, 20:10

OK, safe mode.

Without networking - portable PM started and browser window appeared but pages didn't load.
With networking - pages load.
Back to usual windows mode and portable PM launched alone without stationary PM as previously - OK.
Once again back to initial state - portable PM launched in parallel to already started stationary PM - OK.
So I can't tell what was the problem with launching portable PM previously but at this moment it has disappeared.

Now I'll try to copy tabs and windows from stationary PM to portable PM and see what happens (this however will need some time because of huge number of tabs to copy).

Regarding another computer with PM - yes I have one but not sure if it would be useful in this case as that another PM is loaded with different set of windows and tabs so comparison may not be fair, but in occasion I could try upgrade that browser too.

Regarding drivers - as it is a Dell computer, so Support Assistant checks the system according to service number and offers respective driver updates if necessary, and all drivers are in accordance with Dell recommendations.

Regarding Basilisk browser - could try it also, but not sure if it will be useful in terms of identical browser version as this is what is seemingly causing problems with PM.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-23, 20:14

Interesting notice - at the moment stationary PM is using 10-20% CPU with ~200 tabs in 8 windows, while portable PM is using 20-40% CPU with just one start-page tab in one window. Strange.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-24, 01:05

If "start-page" is start.me, start.com has always been a hog, so to me, that is not out of the ordinary.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16709

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-24, 01:06

Now, what extensions are in the mix?

grayhoose

Unread post by grayhoose » 2018-08-24, 02:17

32bit os with 3.5 gb ram, 8 windos with 2oo+ tabs, is the hhd trashing?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-24, 06:29

I'm curious if this is related to generational garbage collection in javascript or not.
If you set javascript.options.mem.gc_generational to false in about:config and restart the browser, does that alleviate the issues?
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-24, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 08:10

therube wrote:If "start-page" is start.me, start.com has always been a hog, so to me, that is not out of the ordinary.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16709
Not sure this is related to my case, as closing this particular tab didn't lead to any visible changes in resources used by PM portable.
Rather the very browser uses few hundred MB already with any one tab open.
Now, what extensions are in the mix?
I've already mentioned this - the only one is TabMixPlus 0.5.0.4
(still present in problematic stationary PM as it may affect keeping actual session intact - but not present in portable, for comparison with/without)

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 08:18

grayhoose wrote:32bit os with 3.5 gb ram, 8 windos with 2oo+ tabs, is the hhd trashing?
Not sure what you mean by "trashing"?
Regarding how it works - no problems.
If you mean OS intensively using HDD page file - this happens when using Chrome based browsers (and this is the most important disadvantage of them - otherwise they're relatively very reliable!).

As I've mentioned, PM with existing load uses about 400MB so there's still enough of free RAM - and this would be so great if just PM could work reliably at least until all free RAM is not used.
(Chrome can do this well after it has already grabbed all the RAM, and when most tabs are already switched to passive state because of this)

Oh, besides, of course I've ALWAYS "don't load tabs until selected" feature activated in all Firefox related browsers!
Last edited by Felix_Cold on 2018-08-24, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 08:37

Moonchild wrote:I'm curious if this is related to generational garbage collection in javascript or not.
If you set javascript.options.mem.gc_generational to false in about:config and restart the browser, does that alleviate the issues?
Restarted once with respective setting changed, no significant changes noticed (stationary browser crashed again after a few minutes of tab copying to PM portable)
Testing further.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 08:50

Update: PM portable started to increasingly show black areas on the screen and finally crashed while I was copying second window from PM stationary (about 30 tabs in 2 windows at that moment in portable PM).

So?

Regarding "javascript" setting - seems like some minor improvement could be present, now I can open and copy 6-7 tabs from stationary PM to portable instead of 4-5 previously - until stationary PM hangs/crashes.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 09:13

What's also common in both browsers (old stationary and new portable) is that after problems start to appear (usually this is expressed as temporary black areas on the screen), neither of them will remember any further changes in windows/tabs structure after next (re)start, be it opening new tabs or closing existing ones, moving tabs to different position or entering some new web address in existing tab and loading that new web-page.

Felix_Cold

Unread post by Felix_Cold » 2018-08-24, 09:52

PM portable crashed once again after copying next 30 tabs to it from PM stationary (first set of ~30 tabs copied earlier was just out of business at this moment because of "don't load tabs until selected" feature in portable PM).

I'm tended to conclude that source of the problem is exactly in PM itself and nowhere else.

If the same problematic behavior will repeat after updating PM to last version on another computer, this will likely be sufficient confirmation.

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-24, 10:21

Moonchild wrote:I'm curious if this is related to generational garbage collection in javascript or not.
I experienced almost same issue and posted it in Russian board here on forum. Some investigation, no result. Also I tried change javascript.options.mem.gc_generational... Probably helped :D I will investigate further. For a testing I use two sites: discordapp.com and mediametrics.ru. Both have huge amount of js active elements, online update content etc. Opening this sites and swapping between tabs some time causes slowing down Pale Moon. Then it will stay in processes after window closing. And after some time it will crash with pointing to xul.dll.

But with javascript.options.mem.gc_generational = false something changed. May be :)

Added later: I'm sorry. It is false detect or how in right named. Something broken my 3D acceleration for Pale Moon in same time as I toggled that parameter. So no effect with javascript.options.mem.gc_generational = false. My problem causes by old driver and old videocard. May be it is alone right result of my investigation
Last edited by Alexium 67 on 2018-08-24, 11:11, edited 2 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-08-24, 10:22

Felix_Cold wrote:Update: PM portable started to increasingly show black areas on the screen and finally crashed
Felix_Cold wrote:What's also common in both browsers (old stationary and new portable) is that after problems start to appear (usually this is expressed as temporary black areas on the screen)
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M
[...]
RAM: 256
Also: https://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_nv ... specs.html
IMHO: This GPU is to slow / has too little RAM to run two Pale Moon instances at the same time.
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-08-24, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-24, 11:49

I tried to change main video card to Intel HD Graphics (Intel Celeron CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz) and newer driver (10.18.14.4889 | 14.12.2017), but nothing changed. There are two things: something wrong with 32-bit Pale Moon like people posting here or 28.0.0 require newer hardware for heavy sites. So I'll take a pause in my digging ;)