Address bar menu dropdown menu height

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Address bar menu dropdown menu height

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-22, 07:50

I experienced strange behavior after updating to 28.0.0. That address bar dropdown menu (most often "inputted" urls) being half height (with scroll bar) after some time of browser using. Restart is helping. Commonly that menu have 12 url items, but after this issue happens it shows only 6. And I should to scroll down to view others.

Windows 7 and 10. x32 and x64 browsers.

Added later: To reproduce this issue

Start Pale moon, then begin to input something to address bar
Dropdown menu will appearing with 6 items and scroll bar
Choose any item from it
Now if you open that menu by clicking on dropmarker in address bar, it will be half-heighted with scroll bar
Last edited by Alexium 67 on 2018-08-22, 10:19, edited 3 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Address bar menu dropdown menu height

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-23, 08:37

I am unable to reproduce this -- I have 12 items in drop-down and have clicked on several of the drop-down links and the drop-down works each time continues to display the same each time after using it (note: I do not have a scroll-bar however -- all URL's on the drop-down list display without one). I do not use this function at all really -- so cannot say if this is any different than before.

Have you tried testing this in "safe-mode"?

Or testing this with "fresh" profile?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-08-23, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-23, 10:14

Tried it with safe mode and clean profile. Same behavior. If dropdown address bar menu was open (no need to click at urls) by inputing something (after browser start), it opening as half-heighted. And will be halfed until browser restart. If it was open by dropmarker click, then it will opening as full-heighted for the current session

Now I can't say that it was same or not on version 27. Memory...

Oh, wait. I tried 27 portable. No that issue: browser start, trying inputing, opening halfed menu, open something from it or click on title or open new tab, click on dropmarker, open full sized menu.

Result: Halfed menu it is common thing when user typing some letters in urlbar. Menu that opening by dropmarker is full sized. But in 28.0.0 something was changed. And "dropmarker's menu" taking sizes of "typing menu" if last one was open first, immediate after browser start.
Last edited by Alexium 67 on 2018-08-23, 10:50, edited 4 times in total.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-08-23, 14:27

Confirmed. Clarified (for me), the dropdown is 6 items tall if first typing directly into URLbar which persists even when using dropmarker until browser restart. After restart if the dropmarker is first used the dropdown is 12 items tall (or whatever value set in browser.urlbar.maxRichResults) while typing into URLbar produces 6 items height, interchangibly.

I noticed this in alpha2 but never bothered to determine exact steps to produce the difference from 27.* which was always interchangible regardless of first use method.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-23, 15:04

Okay -- now I understand what is being done... yes -- I can confirm as well. Without typing characters in the address bar the drop-down is 12 URL's deep with no scroll-bar (larger size drop-down exists) but if I type in the address bar then I get 6 URL's with a scroll-bar of which I can use to scroll down to the remaining 6 URL's listed. It's worth noting that if I leave the tab where I have typed into the address bar and then return to that same tab (without typing) then the drop-down is once again 12 deep with no scroll-bar. But either way I don't see any sizing difference other than the need for a scroll-bar for the remaining 6 of the 12 URL's listed if I start to type in the address bar of which I can observe at the time while typing the drop-down reduce in size overall (but the distance between URL's in the list remain the same -- it's just that the drop-down changes overall size is all).

Not sure why this behavior occurs (and not sure if this existed pre-v28) -- but I also don't see a big problem with this -- the URL's remain available to the user either way. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

TTwrs1

Unread post by TTwrs1 » 2018-08-23, 19:24

This can be remedied by adding the following to your userChrome.css file (will also work with PM<28.0):

Code: Select all

#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult {height: 500px !important; max-height: 500px !important;}
.private-autocomplete-richlistbox {height: 500px !important; max-height: 500px !important;}
Also set in about:config 'browser.urlbar.maxRichResults' = 37
Adjust variables as required.

Alexium 67
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Alexium 67 » 2018-08-31, 09:16

Thanks! But I prefer minimalistic css. After some tests I found that combination works fine:

Code: Select all

.private-autocomplete-richlistbox {max-height: none !important;}
But there is small blinking to max size for search suggestions menu at first time appearing. And then this suggestions menu displaying as half-sized. Often used urls menu is full-sized at all time. In the same time I will not use this altering because I fear for future incompatibility with potential fixes.