Windows Certificate Database

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Shadeclan

Windows Certificate Database

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-08-21, 14:20

My work has recently deployed a new "Net Nanny" from Palo Alto networks. This is preventing Pale Moon from reaching most websites - it is raising the untrusted website error. As I understand it, my IT people deployed a certificate to the -- :?: windows certificate database :?: -- which IE and, apparently, Chrome can read but Pale Moon cannot. I saw this article on the Palo Alto Networks forums which describe an About:config setting in a newer version of Firefox which is not present in About:Config but adding it to Pale Moon makes no difference.

Is there a way to get Pale Moon to read this certificate database? Or, is there a way to export / import a certificate from this database?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Windows Certificate Database

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-21, 14:36

I don't see anything in the article you linked mentioning an about:config setting. Did you mean something like this? I see that preference in PM 28, but I have not tested it.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to export the relevant certificate from Windows and import it into Pale Moon's certificate manager.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2018-08-21, 14:50

Actually, I was able to get Pale Moon to work just now by exporting my organization's certificates and trusted server certificates from Chrome and importing them into Pale Moon. It didn't work for my friend's Opera browser, though. Guess he'd better switch to Pale Moon! :D :D :D

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-21, 15:00

As they say, more than one way to skin a cat. :)

On a side note, I tried setting the value for security.enterprise_roots.enabled to true, and Pale Moon now uses certificates installed in the Windows certificate database in addition to its own. So now I can say for sure that this setting does work.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story