EMET and PM compatibility

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MRCS4

EMET and PM compatibility

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2018-08-19, 23:47

If I have any exploit enabled, including any of the Mitigation Settings at the top right, PM will not run. Because PM is so security conscience, I am not overly concerned about it.

I was always leaning towards some protection mechanism blocking PM, rather than a 'memory inflation issue'. Although, this still could be the underlying incompatibility, without it being a PM bug. Initially I had thought that EMET was too old and no longer being maintained, but that was not the case. I updated to 5.52 from 5.50 and it didn't make any difference.

I can't believe that PM violates every exploit, so that leads me to believe there is some fundamental incompatibility. Mostly I am just curious as to what it could be. Perhaps Moonchild, or someone else, can shed some light on this.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: EMET and PM compatibility

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-20, 00:17

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-20, 00:21

5.52 was released nearly two years ago.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-20, 02:30

Cassette wrote:5.52 was released nearly two years ago.
And as of a few weeks ago, it's EOL.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ce-toolkit
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

MRCS4

Unread post by MRCS4 » 2018-08-20, 06:08

helloimustbegoing, thanks for the link.
"It clashes with Pale Moon's internal safeguards"
That's good enough, and I thought/hoped it might be something like that. If PM doesn't like other software that could be malware hooking into it, I consider that a good thing. I removed PM from the EMET applications list and now everybody is happy again.

Btw, just because software is old or EOL doesn't mean it's no longer any good. In fact, I usually stop upgrading when an application starts becoming bloatware or the "new & improved" version is net negative on what's better over what's worse (of course that's very much an individualized decision). Skype, for instance, has a long history of this. Unfortunately, they make you update after a certain point in time.