Mess after update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Mess after update

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 11:00

Is a setting wrong, maybe in about:config?
This morning I updated Pale Moon to version 28 and that was a big disappointment!
ALL my add-ons were gone, and also my bookmarks.
So I uninstalled and instead installed version 27.9.4 instead.It took A LOT OF TIME to reinstall add-ons, themes and bookmarks from a backup.
Now embedded videos do not appear in websites. Instead there is a greyish pattern where it should have been.
But they do appear in Firefox.
PLEASE ADVICE!!!

Can Pale Moon be updated without loosing add-ons?
Last edited by NewMoon1 on 2018-08-19, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Offset

Re: Mess after update

Unread post by Offset » 2018-08-19, 11:12

NewMoon1 wrote:Is a setting wrong, maybe in about:config?

Now embedded videos do not appear in websites. Instead there is a greyish pattern where it should have been.
Hi, try looking here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19995

especially where it says:
Is media.autoplay.enabled under about:config set to true or false?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 13:25

Thanks!
media.autoplay is set to enable.
And I forgot to tell that I now have Pale Moon 29.9.4 32bits.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 13:40

That is to "true".
And I use Win7.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-19, 15:20

What happened to your profile when you updated to 28?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 16:03

I do not know. I just uninstalled Pale Moon in disappointment and installed Pale Moon 27 with a new profile.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-19, 16:28

NewMoon1 wrote:And I forgot to tell that I now have Pale Moon 29.9.4 32bits.
There is no Pale Moon version (29.9.4). I think you meant (27.9.4).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 16:50

Yes, of course 27.9.4.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-08-19, 17:16

PROBLEM SOLVED!
After uninstalling an add-on "UMatrix" it worked as it should.

Yet: Is it now possible to try again to update without loosing all add-ons and the Bookmarks this time?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-19, 17:43

I have 9 hard drives (for 4 computers) with 5 hard drives running 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce and 4 hard drives running 64 bit Windows 7 (Home Premium SP1, Ultimate SP1). When I updated 64 lit linux Pale Moon and 32 bit windows Pale Moon from 27.9.4 to (28.0.0), I did not lose any of my 700 bookmarks, 2 extensions and 3 light weight personas. I did not lose my custom settings for Pale Moon either. And Pale Moon runs fast in both linux Mint and Windows 7.

But, I do not update Pale Moon in windows by using the internal updater. I do it the old fashioned way. First I go get the newest Pale Moon from the Pale Moon homepage and save it to my Desktop. Then I manually uninstall Pale Moon in Windows 7 via Programs & Features in the Control Panel. Since I've already saved the newest version of Pale Moon to my Desktop, then I just double left click the saved file, follow the prompts and Pale Moon is installed where it is listed again in Programs & Features.

In linux, it is a little bit different since in my linux, my Pale Moon is "not" installed. I first save the linux Pale Moon tarball to my Desktop. Then I delete the Pale Moon folder from where I have it saved to in my Thunar File Manager. Then I extract the folder from the tarball containing the newest version of Pale Moon and save it to where I deleted the old folder back in the File Manager. By doing it this way, I don't have to make a new Pale Moon launcher icon on my linux Panel.

The only time I have to create the launcher icon for linux Pale Moon, which is found in the Image Files, is when I install a new version of linux Mint (18.3 to 19) or replace the hard drive if the hard drive is starting to have problems such as running slower than normal from bad blocks which is what I first look for in hard drives. If found, I buy a new hard which forces me to install linux Mint 19 again. I've never had a problem with using linux Pale Moon with the first version of Mint I started with in linux and that was Mint 17 back in January of 2014.

Why do I do it this way? Simple, the very first time I used the internal updater for windows Pale Moon, the newest version would not open in Windows 7. I got it to open by left clicking "run as administrator" in Windows 7. Something to think about if Pale Moon will not open if you're using Windows 7. I can't speak for Window 8/8.1 or 10 since I do not use these windows operating systems.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

4td8s
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 4td8s » 2018-08-21, 20:37

NewMoon1 wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED!
After uninstalling an add-on "UMatrix" it worked as it should.

Yet: Is it now possible to try again to update without loosing all add-ons and the Bookmarks this time?
uMatrix is a web extension addon. can't use that in Pale moon. use something else

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-21, 20:41

4td8s wrote:uMatrix is a web extension addon. can't use that in Pale moon.
Sure you can. Legacy version's on GitHub.

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2018-08-21, 22:26

Night Wing wrote:Why do I do it this way? Simple, the very first time I used the internal updater for windows Pale Moon, the newest version would not open in Windows 7. I got it to open by left clicking "run as administrator" in Windows 7. Something to think about if Pale Moon will not open if you're using Windows 7. I can't speak for Window 8/8.1 or 10 since I do not use these windows operating systems.
I think this is normal (at least that's what happens to me). The updater needs to run as admin once because it edits Pale Moon's files in C:\Program Files which is a system protected folder. The second time you run it after the update you won't need to run as admin again. Since you installed everything manually, Windows probably didn't need to ask you to run anything with admin privileges.

Still, never a bad idea to backup C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\Appdata\Local\Moonchild Productions and C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\Appdata\Roaming\Moonchild Productions (obviously replace with your own user name)

bauerle

Unread post by bauerle » 2018-08-22, 02:32

My mess is different, and apologies for not starting a different thread.

Updated to V28, tried to load the dozens of tabs from my previous sessions and PM locked up then crashed (which it tended to do with the old version too).

Restarted and got the tabs loaded, but they took forever, and now it takes 3 seconds to switch between tabs, and often pauses while scrolling down a page.

I had liked PM's better freeing up of memory when closing tabs over Firefox, but it still couldn't handle dozens of open tabs (and took 500M of memory to do so).

I don't feel like figuring out how to revert to the previous version, so I guess I'll give Chrome another try - it's also a memory hog, but maybe it can handle dozens of tabs better than FF or PM can.

Best wishes for the future, but I doubt I'll be part of it.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2018-08-23, 05:54

bauerle wrote: I don't feel like figuring out how to revert to the previous version
http://www.palemoon.org/>Download>Other>Archived versions>ftp://palemoon:get@archive.palemoon.org/>ftp://archive.palemoon.org/.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-08-23, 08:23

doofy wrote:
4td8s wrote:uMatrix is a web extension addon. can't use that in Pale moon.
Sure you can. Legacy version's on GitHub.
absolutely -- last time I was using uMatrix was version 1.1.4 -- went back to NoScript at some point later however (which is also a "legacy" version 5.1.8.6 -- NS is easier to work with imho and offers more levels of security - regardless of its "bad rap" ;).)....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-09-05, 18:34

Now it is some 3 weeks later and I took a chance to update from 27.9.4 to 28.0.1. At first it looked OK! The extensions were there etc.
But after restarting the computer the problems began... All extensions gone but the bookmarks remained.
After restarting the PC error message "Couldn't load XPCom".
Then I took a chance to reinstall 27.9.4 over 28.0.1. At first it seemed to work but then error messages Also: "NoScript is not properly installed..." and No JavaScript.

Had to uninstalled completely and then instead install 28.0.1 (in place of 27, not over it) and re-import extensions and bookmarks which I had backed up (extensions with FEBE).
That worked but, of course took work and time - yet not too bad thanks to FEBE.
BUT THE UPDATE SHOULD HAVE WORKED! Why did it not?

There must be a bug!!! How avoid these serious complications when another update comes?

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-09-05, 18:46

I should have added that I use Windows 7 Pro and 32 bits.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-09-05, 18:57

Sometimes I have a problem after an update or going back a version.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon
and clean out that folder. Restart PM and its good.
ImageImage

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-09-06, 04:58

Then the profiles are lost and with them all the add-ons, definitely...