Mess after update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Mess after update

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-06, 10:26

Profile data (bookmarks, addons) is stored in AppData\Roaming. I'm not sure what's stored in AppData\Local.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-09-06, 11:17

OK.
So that may be a useful tip - for those who know it.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-06, 11:43

cartel wrote:Sometimes I have a problem after an update or going back a version.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon
and clean out that folder. Restart PM and its good.
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE unless you're prepared to lose your profiles, and along with them:

- bookmarks
- addons and settings
- themes
- browsing sessions
- passwords

and more that i might have forgotten

EDIT: ok i misread there. not sure about the effects of deleting the local folder. disregard the above
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-06, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-09-06, 13:30

So whatever...
It really looks like the UPDATE procedure NEEDS TO BECOME SAFE!
Now it seems to have a bug...

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-06, 18:44

Is it possible to edit logics in the installer script? For 27 version leave "Pale Moon" folder intact and create new "Pale Moon 28" and copy there things from the old profile. This will be certainly safe.

Notice that in AppData\Local is stored cache stuff and nothing important, you can delete it without doubt.
Last edited by Fedor2 on 2018-09-06, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

4td8s
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 4td8s » 2018-09-18, 23:18

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
doofy wrote:
4td8s wrote:uMatrix is a web extension addon. can't use that in Pale moon.
Sure you can. Legacy version's on GitHub.
absolutely -- last time I was using uMatrix was version 1.1.4 -- went back to NoScript at some point later however (which is also a "legacy" version 5.1.8.6 -- NS is easier to work with imho and offers more levels of security - regardless of its "bad rap" ;).)....
a v5.1.8.7 of Noscript came out early September 2018
but I'll give uMatrix v1.1.4 legacy a chance on some of my computers running Palemoon 28.0.1

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-09-18, 23:43

4td8s wrote:but I'll give uMatrix v1.1.4 legacy a chance on some of my computers running Palemoon 28.0.1
You can immediately feel how lower it is on resources than NS
And then you notice that disable/refresh makes a site work, rather than NS which might require 3 bloody site refreshes.
Then you notice that you don't get irritated by NS's x-scripting false positives etc
Then you notice just how configurable it is
And towards the end of the learning curve, you learn how to set any pref as "global"
Then you notice that its cookie blocking functionality is something you can't find anywhere else.

On launch, be sure to go through options carefully and disable stuff you don't want - I'm thinking specially of host file stuff, which you might have elsewhere.

NewMoon1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by NewMoon1 » 2018-10-07, 15:44

Hello again,
updated allright on my laptop but then the add-ons manager was completely messed up.
I have there: "addonsmanagerfix" since to me it looks rather nice. But I suspected at my earlier update problems that that one is the culprit.
And it obviously is! I should have uninstalled it before updating, but forgot...
Now it is unreadable and I can, therefore, not delete it or any other add-on.
Is there a way to get rid of it, or do I have to reinstall?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-07, 17:28

NewMoon1 wrote:updated allright on my laptop but then the add-ons manager was completely messed up.
I have there: "addonsmanagerfix" since to me it looks rather nice. But I suspected at my earlier update problems that that one is the culprit.

There are other reports of post-update problems related to that extension, see here and here.

You can uninstall the extension in safe mode.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-10-07, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-10-07, 17:44

NewMoon1 wrote:Hello again,
updated allright on my laptop but then the add-ons manager was completely messed up.
And it obviously is! I should have uninstalled it before updating, but forgot...
Now it is unreadable and I can, therefore, not delete it or any other add-on.
Is there a way to get rid of it, or do I have to reinstall?
Restart in safe mode (under the Help menu). This will disable all of your add-ons on start. You should be able to remove it then.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story