Find/Replace not working properly Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Delia Todd

Find/Replace not working properly

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-08-18, 12:27

Since the last update of Pale Moon the other day to 28.0.0 the Find facility isn't working properly.

I have lots of tabs open as I do a lot of work and editing on a particular forum. Although the Find/replace box will remain in place for another application , such as Notepad, if I switch to a different tab in the browser it disappears. I sometimes need to get more than one bit of information from other tabs, and use Copy/Paste for one, and Find for another - saves a lot of time going backwards and forwards between tabs (and remembering which tabs the information came from!)

A bit of a nuisance really. Am I missing something.

yami_

Re: Find/Replace not working properly

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-08-18, 13:00

In UXP find bar works on a per-tab basis: Issue #487 (uxp). You should be able to open the find bar in each tab individually.

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2018-08-18, 13:36

And I was about to declare v28 upgrade flawless. :( Damn it. Forced per-tab findbar was one of the things that drove me from FF to PM years ago. The linked issue doesn't sound very much that it could be fixed, does it?

Delia Todd

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-08-18, 18:27

yami_ wrote:In UXP find bar works on a per-tab basis: Issue #487 (uxp). You should be able to open the find bar in each tab individually.
Sorry yami, that is no use to me. I need a way to carry information across from one tab to another in order to use it, like it did last week.

Otherwise I need to copy/paste some of it into an external programme, then copy/paste it back again into the new tab and have to do that twice!

Sometimes there's a spelling mistake in the first one (maybe), so I "find" it go to another site and search to check if it is the wrong spelling, or maybe an alternative spelling.... this is getting technical LOL.

Incidentally, just tried it in Firefox, and it doesn't work there either (well that's the old type of FF... not been brave enough to download the new one yet).

Please can the Find/Replace function be fixed to the browser and not a tab..... please.... please!

Delia Todd

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-08-18, 22:30

yami_ wrote:In UXP find bar works on a per-tab basis: Issue #487 (uxp). You should be able to open the find bar in each tab individually.
Ah! Got it at last (I'm slow!!).

I'm sure it didn't do it previously, but now when I move to another tab and do CTRL+F, the find text box comes up with the required text in it.

Cheers and thanks..... what a relief. Been going through all sorts of hoops today!
Last edited by Delia Todd on 2018-08-19, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

DawnFalcon
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by DawnFalcon » 2018-08-19, 03:58

...Good enough, thank you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-19, 08:57

Delia Todd wrote:I need a way to carry information across from one tab to another in order to use it, like it did last week.
Even though the find bar is instantiated per-tab now (which is required for working on the new platform) the information is carried across to other tabs that don't have the findbar in use yet and can simply be accessed by opening the find bar or using the find again shortcut key (F3)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Delia Todd

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-08-19, 23:36

Hmmm..... it was working fine all day, until 10 minutes ago.

A couple of words entered into Find in one tab. Went to another tab, the find box was already there, but empty (it wasn't there beforehand). Closed it, opened it again, still empty. Closed it, went back to the other tab and tried again. Same result.

Finished that job.

Another followed. Got the info from one tab, went back to the one I needed it in, no find box open, CTRL+f and up pops the box.... but with a word I'd selected about 3 hours before, not the currently required word.
Last edited by Delia Todd on 2018-08-19, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Delia Todd

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-08-27, 09:37

What's so frustrating, and takes up so much time, is that sometimes it works and sometimes not and I never know when it will, or if I can do something to get it to work.

Can anyone think of a work-around.

Generally I put a string of words in Copy/Paste to do a main search in another tab, then having found the document or article I need have a single word in Find/Replace to look for it.

Sometimes the word spellings are very complex (maybe Latin), which is why I don't try and type from memory.

Delia Todd

Unread post by Delia Todd » 2018-09-21, 23:19

Oh thanks so much! The latest update fixed the problem I was having.

I'm just so very grateful.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2018-10-12, 05:26

I was finding that sometimes I'd hit F3 after changing tabs and it might be pre-filled in with my last search (like it should), blank, or even a previous search term.
Are you saying it's completely stable now? This was my last reason for sticking with v27.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-15, 16:04

Have you actually tested with PM 28.1.0?
(Do so in a separate Profile or with the Portable version.)

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2018-10-16, 03:54

I think I retried 28.0.0.1 and still had the issue, but not 28.0.1.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2018-10-17, 02:47

To clarify my last post. I did not test 28.0.1. (Re-reading the post, it sounds like I didn't find the issue in that version, when in fact I don't know.)