PaleMoon 28.0.0 is much, much slower @ desmos than 27.* ? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
on4aa

Re: PaleMoon 28.0.0 is much, much slower @ desmos than 27.* ?

Unread post by on4aa » 2018-09-15, 14:34

I am not very active on this forum, even though I use Pale Moon as my main browser.
However, I signed in again specifically because I am experiencing exacting the same as the original poster on one of my computers.

Problems started somewhere at the beginning of summer with the 27 series and are even worse now on 28.0.1.
Memory is running really hot and the CPU has a higher load.
Even typing in the search field on https://www.startpage.com/ is delayed at start-up.

At first, I thought this had something to do with Meltdown & Spectre Intel firmware updates.

All my systems are running 64-bit Xubuntu LTS 18.04 and update Pale Moon automatically through the PPA.

The affected system is a 2009 laptop with an Intel Core2 Duo U9300 CPU with Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller, 3GB DDR2 and SSD.

Not affected are 2007 vintage desktops with an Intel Core2 Duo E8500 CPU and NVidia video cards, 4GB DDR2/3 and SSD.

Hopefully, this will help Moonchild in finding the regression.

on4aa

Unread post by on4aa » 2018-09-15, 14:38

In conclusion, perhaps is has something to do with Intel integrated graphics on Linux. Just my 5 cents.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-16, 12:14

on4aa -- sorry but your generic performance issue is completely unrelated to what is discussed in this thread, which discusses a specific performance regression in Pale Moon 28. If you are having an issue that is not directly related to the topic here, then please create a new topic so this thread can stay focused on the one issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-09-19, 18:15

Today's unstable build fixes the issue. PM 28.2.0a1 and PM 27.9.4 have equivalent frames per second on the test URL.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-19, 18:19

mrnhmath wrote:Today's unstable build fixes the issue. PM 28.2.0a1 and PM 27.9.4 have equivalent frames per second on the test URL.
Great! thank you for verifying.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mortalwombat

Unread post by mortalwombat » 2018-09-22, 16:57

mrnhmath wrote:Today's unstable build fixes the issue. PM 28.2.0a1 and PM 27.9.4 have equivalent frames per second on the test URL.
great!
thanks to the developers & everyone else for responsiveness and contribution to this important fix.
I will probably wait until 28.2.0 build or newer (stable) before testing it out, but looking forward to it.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2018-09-24, 01:36

cartel wrote:Heres a couple videos I made of the "slowness"

Notice the menu box on the left (where it says welcome, your profile, karma, etc.) is always instantly displayed on 27.9.4 and on 28.0.1 it takes awhile to appear.

This is the only example I can give which easily shows the problem, not just the forum I showed but other pages as well has this lazyness.

As time goes by, it gets worse and its just super annoying.

https://youtu.be/AVBnwCFj0xE

https://youtu.be/JIA_MmiiTlA

Thank you all for your time and patience

OK this lag with the menus was caused by a user agent.
28.1.0 seems fast, no problems, no telemetry, I'm happy, thank you
ImageImage