Zooming in/out on Google Maps Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PMIVO

Zooming in/out on Google Maps

Unread post by PMIVO » 2018-08-17, 18:12

Using the scroll wheel of the mouse for zooming in and out on Google Maps does not work any more in PM28.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Zooming in/out on Google Maps

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-08-17, 18:15

Works fine for me. Does the issue occur in safe mode or a new profile?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

PMIVO

Unread post by PMIVO » 2018-08-17, 18:22

Sorry, my bad!

Looks something froze, I relaunched Google Maps and everything works fine now. :thumbup:

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-08-18, 07:21

GM is almost unusable in PM 28 - v. slow to load and react. Eventually PM freezes/crashes.
Starting in Safe Mode has no effect. (GM runs OK in Fx 60 ESR).

Same happens with YouTube.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-18, 08:29

Giraffe wrote:GM is almost unusable in PM 28 - v. slow to load and react. Eventually PM freezes/crashes.
I'm unable to reproduce this -- I use Google Maps almost daily (and intensively so). it's smooth, responsive, and doesn't crash.
(GM runs OK in Fx 60 ESR).
We are not Firefox, and whether something works in an arbitrary unrelated version of Firefox or not usually doesn't help. What would help is what you haven't included: troubleshooting information (as text please, not as json)
Same happens with YouTube.
Youtube also works fine here.
Sounds like you're having generic video compositing issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-18, 11:16

@ Giraffe

I use Google Maps a lot. GM loads lightning fast. Loads in one second of time. GM never freezes or crashes. I can zoom in and out by using my mouse wheel since I'm using a desktop tower computer hooked to an external monitor. No problems using Satellite or Map View.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. The tower computer is a HP 170t model bought back in the year with 2010 which still has the original Nvidia GT Geforce 220 graphics card installed in it. Has an Intel i7-860 processor with a speed of 2.80 GHz with 16 GB of memory.

I also have a 2012 year model HP dv4-5113cl laptop computer using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce and it has no problems with Google Maps. It has an Intel HD 4000 graphics chip on the motherboard. Uses a 2.50 GHz 3rd generation Intel i5-3210M Processor with 8 GB of memory. I also use a mouse with this laptop.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

PMIVO

Unread post by PMIVO » 2018-08-19, 17:47

Unfortunately, I still have an issue with my mouse scroll wheel on Google Maps: zooming in and out works fine when the User Agent (Options > Advanced > Compatibility) is set to 'Firefox' or 'Gecko', but it does not work when set to 'Standard'. Also, the 3D feature is not available in 'Standard' mode. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-08-20, 07:15

Tried again in Safe Mode and both Google Maps and YouTube were OK. Started again in Safe Mode and enabled all of 'useability' add-ons, still OK.
Enabled some more add-ons in small groups of similar ones, starting with 'utilities' that are run on demand and still OK.
Then the 'active/reactive' ones and some where it all went wrong. Trouble is, disabling the last few didn't correct things!

Closed browser, reopened, enabled all add-ons, then 'upgraded' to v 27.9.4 and sweetness and light ensued!

Is it possible to have a separate installation of v 28?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-20, 10:03

Giraffe wrote:Tried again in Safe Mode and both Google Maps and YouTube were OK. Started again in Safe Mode and enabled all of 'useability' add-ons, still OK.
Enabled some more add-ons in small groups of similar ones, starting with 'utilities' that are run on demand and still OK.
Then the 'active/reactive' ones and some where it all went wrong. Trouble is, disabling the last few didn't correct things!

Closed browser, reopened, enabled all add-ons, then 'upgraded' to v 27.9.4 and sweetness and light ensued!
If you updated from 27.9.4 to 28.0.0 and found you had problems and wanted to go back to 27.9.4, I hope when you went back to 27.9.4 from 28, you created a new profile. If you didn't, you may find this move has corrupted the profile you're now using in 27.9.4 and you many start having problems with (27.9.4). So sweetness and light might be short lived. If you did create a new profile, then you should be ok.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-08-20, 16:16

Oops! - not a new profile. Trouble is, just as I did with Opera over several years, it takes a long time to get it as I want it.
I'll restore the profile that I backed up before trying v 28..
Thank you for the advice.