[PM 28] Changed default favicon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

[PM 28] Changed default favicon

Unread post by Kerebron » 2018-08-17, 14:52

I noticed a minor, but annoying, change after update to PM 28 - default favicon, used when site has no specified favicon, changed from nice "blank page" one to "an ugly blotch" one, which I think is supposed to look like a moon (well, it doesn't, really).
Is there a way to revert to the old one? If there isn't, would it be possible to add such an option (in about:config, for example) in the next release? :think:
Last edited by Kerebron on 2018-08-17, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: [PM 28] Changed default favicon

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-08-17, 22:12

Do you mean the icons on the tabs? You could add your preferred image to the profile and create an entry in userChrome.css:

.tab-icon-image {
list-style-image: url("<path to image>");
}

I just noticed that the default theme for PM 27 has no generic icons at all on the bookmarks toolbar or in the bookmarks menu or manager. Why were those left out?

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-17, 23:15

Goodydino wrote:Do you mean the icons on the tabs? You could add your preferred image to the profile and create an entry in userChrome.css:

.tab-icon-image {
list-style-image: url("<path to image>");
}
Can you tell me how to do this on a site specific basis?

I want to change Reddit's favicon on tabs from the new one to the old one. I know Reddit's URL to the old favicon, I have the old favicon locally (which I'd prefer). I've done a lot of searching how to do it with userChrome.css/userContent.css/userscripts and have failed.

Tabs is the main thing. Bookmarks/identity bar would be a bonus.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-08-18, 01:22

Goodydino wrote:Do you mean the icons on the tabs?
I thought to quote you again, so you'd get a notification and wouldn't have to put unnecessary work in.

I've finally solved it. Took a daft amount of time in fits and starts over several months, but there you go - I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Anyways. This userscript works perfectly in Greasemonkey in PM 28. Dunno if it works for sites other than Reddit - I cba to test it atm.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name     Old Reddit Favicon
// @include  https://*.reddit.com/*
// @grant    none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
  var link = document.querySelector("link[rel*='icon']") || document.createElement('link');
  link.type = 'image/x-icon';
  link.rel = 'shortcut icon';
  link.href = 'https://i.imgur.com/veJX9o5.png';
  document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(link);
})();
Thx and attributions start here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Enhancement/co ... e/dr5l2k2/

Finally I have it. Tabs, bookmarks, identity bar. Happy bunny.