Discarded clicks

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PaleGreg

Discarded clicks

Unread post by PaleGreg » 2018-08-14, 16:57

I don't expect Pale Moon to be as slick as Vivaldi or Opera or Firefox, but here is an enduring annoyance. Version: 27.9.4 (64-bit), Win 7. Handful of tabs. Frequently when I click (right- or left- , highlighted text or folder in the bookmarks toolbar ), I get to wait. No action, no context menu, nothing. Sometimes the desired response happens after 15 or 30 seconds; sometimes nothing happens. For example, the bookmarks folder simply loses focus. Sometimes (maybe up to half the clicks) the performance is as one would have expected. This annoyance brings me back to the nineties, working on a machine with 16 MB (sic) RAM when probably 18 MB (yeah, I know, RAM doesn't come in these increments) should have been the minimum. Yet this machine today has 24 GB (sic) RAM ! Otherwise, I am satisfied with Pale Moon. Thank you!

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Discarded clicks

Unread post by satrow » 2018-08-14, 18:15

Hardware/security software details would be useful, see also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-14, 18:39

PaleGreg wrote:I don't expect Pale Moon to be as slick as Vivaldi or Opera or Firefox, but here is an enduring annoyance. Version: 27.9.4 (64-bit), Win 7. Handful of tabs. Frequently when I click (right- or left- , highlighted text or folder in the bookmarks toolbar ), I get to wait. No action, no context menu, nothing. Sometimes the desired response happens after 15 or 30 seconds; sometimes nothing happens. For example, the bookmarks folder simply loses focus. Sometimes (maybe up to half the clicks) the performance is as one would have expected.
I've never experienced the problem you're having with me using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.9.4 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 on this machine which has two hard drives in it since I dual boot linux Mint on my second hard drive. The antivirus progam installed with Windows 7 is free Avast. Only addons I use for windows Pale Moon are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude.

The second hard drive uses 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.4 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. I've never seen this problem in linux Pale Moon either. The only extensions I use for linux Pale Moon are NoSquint and Adblock Latitude. No antivirus needed in linux either. Just a plain old UFW (firewall).

BTW, this machine I'm typing this post with has 16 GB of memory with a processor speed of (2.80). If other people chime in and they can't reproduce the same problem you're experiencing, I'm guessing the problem isn't with Pale Moon but something on your end.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-14, 18:56

What is PM CPU usage at these times?

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Last edited by therube on 2018-08-14, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.