Pale Moon and FileHippo Downloads

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
sunclad

Pale Moon and FileHippo Downloads

Unread post by sunclad » 2018-08-14, 15:31

Palemoon 27.9.4
Windows 10-Home
AVG Av - Current

I often use the FileHippo web site (www.filehippo.com) to keep up with current versions of software, including PM.

Recent versions of PM are incapable of downloading software from this site.

The site offers a link to download specific software they have either archived on their servers, or a link to the download page or program at the author's site. For example, updates to Adobe products takes you to Adobe's download page.

Recent versions of PM no longer are capable of taking a download from this site. When the download link is clicked, there is a long pause and then the web site acknowledges you and says Thank you for downloading, but nothing has happened. There is also a manual download link offered (https) if the automated download fails or does not initiate but when you hover the mouse pointed over it, it is not active.

In comparison, I downloaded Vivaldi (Chrome) and this browser has no problem downloading or clicking anything. I also tested this theory with MS Edge, and Google Chrome with no problems. The manual download link is also active and click-able.

I have not made any changes to PM other than to faithfully take auto-updates when they happen but this problem has been evident for several weeks now, and possibly over more than 2 recent updates.

This is a reproduce-able problem as noted and does not manifest with other browsers. Browsers tested included current versions of FireFox, MS Edge, Vivaldi, and Google Chrome.

I suspect there is something on the Filehippo web site, or page CSS or XML that is preventing this. There is no message stating the browser is out of date or similar. Just plain failure to download or be able to click a link.

Thanks

DMK

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Pale Moon and FileHippo Downloads

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-14, 16:12

No problem here downloading from filehippo.com in PM 27.9.4 or 28 beta (Win 7 x86).
Manual download link worked fine too.

Examples
filehippo-pm27.9.4.png
28.0.0b5
filehippo-pm28.0.0b5.png
Have you tried in safe mode or with a new profile?

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-14, 17:47

sunclad wrote:I often use the FileHippo web site (http://www.filehippo.com) to keep up with current versions of software, including PM. Recent versions of PM are incapable of downloading software from this site.
I had the same problem. To fix, allow cookies (or allow cookies for session) for http://www.filehippo.com and https://filehippo.com. You can set these cookie exceptions in the "Privacy" tab of Pale Moon Preferences. Or more conveniently, use Cookie Permissions Button or other cookie add-on.

Alternatively, at the bottom of the Filehippo webpage, you might see a popup notice "Cookies help us to deliver our services. By using our services you agree to our use of cookies.". Click the "Okay" button before clicking any of Filehippo's "Download" buttons. The popup may keep coming back. So you may have to click "Okay" several times (before Filehippo will download without first setting cookies). Note that a few weeks ago, users could ignore this popup message. Filehippo would download regardless.

As an alternative or additional to Filehippo, you might consider http://www.filehorse.com/ for your downloads.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-14, 20:31

Or, simple accept the fact that they, like every other website on this planet, need cookies for proper operation and that you should stop blocking first-party cookies on websites because it's folly to do so. If you don't trust a website's own cookies, meaning you don't trust the website, then what are you doing visiting it anyway?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-15, 02:45

Filehippo downloads actually work fine for me even with first-party cookies not accepted, and without clicking "Okay" in the cookie warning banner.

Edit: replaced "off" with "not accepted" to avert potential misunderstanding.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-15, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2018-08-15, 04:39

... even with first-party cookies off
There actually is not a setting to block (turn off) first-party cookies, only a setting to block (turn off) all cookies. So you might want to check your cookies listing to determine if Filehippo cookies are already included.

The settings (for "network.cookie.cookieBehavior" in "about:config") are as follows:

Code: Select all

network.cookie.cookieBehavior = "0" Allow all cookies, including all 3rd party cookies  (3rd party = "Always")
network.cookie.cookieBehavior = "1" Allow all cookies, except 3rd party cookies (3rd party = "Never")
network.cookie.cookieBehavior = "2" Block all cookies (3rd party disabled)
network.cookie.cookieBehavior = "3" Allow all cookies, except only allow 3rd party cookies from visited sites (3rd party = "From visited")

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-15, 05:53

Off-topic:
riiis wrote:There actually is not a setting...

Respectfully, I believe you're reacting a bit over much (too literally) to a choice of words (and aren't responding to the point of my post). I'm aware of everything you just detailed. But thank you for the reiteration.

And for the record, No. I was not inadvertantly accepting filehippo.com cookies.

To roughly repeat myself:
Filehippo.com downloads work fine for me when first-party cookies are not accepted, and without clicking "Okay" in the cookie warning banner.

My experience is not the same as that reported by riiis.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-15, 06:28, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-15, 11:26

(I'll note:

there is a delay before the (automatic) download prompt pops up
there are a lot of false "start download" buttons
there is some obnoxious video
there is a bunch of other "stuff"

& then once all of that "does its' stuff", it gets replaced entirely by yet another ad

it appears cookies are not needed (i.e., when set to 'block' all still works)
(i don't know about nuances of block vs 1st. party, or whatever))