I've managed to make Facebook useable!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

I've managed to make Facebook useable!

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-08-07, 17:43

When I left Firefox for another browser I was thrilled that I could still use Facebook Purity in Facebook with Grease Monkey. But I think many of us have noticed that Facebook has been getting increasingly horrible to use in the last couple of months. Not the fault of Pale Moon; but every PM update seemed to make Facebook worse. Pages take forever to load. Typing lags horribly. Buttons like "Share" take a long time to respond. I have spent weeks trying various fixes through about:config, new addons, and GM Scripts. I even tried several different browsers that I could still use with FBPurity.

I've seen some old forum posts about Social Fixer. Well, it is compatible with PM again and it works! At least, the GM Script works. I did lose a couple of tweaks like the Logout button, but I can live without them. The important thing is that I can now use Facebook again!!!

I have left my custom element hiding rules in AdBlock Prime, but Social Fixer also uses an element hiding function to elimate all the garbage links you don't want on the left and right columns, ie Market, Jobs, etc. (FB Purity had the settings for those individually to tick on or off) Personal settings/changes can be edited or removed easily.

I hope my experience helps.

For Firefox or Grease Monkey
https://socialfixer.com/download.html
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: I've managed to make Facebook useable!

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-08, 12:26

There are some settings in FBP that indeed slow things down too much, for example the auto-sorting to "Most Recent". I've tried Social Fixer a few times but always go back to FBP. SF seemed even slower - perhaps some specific settings there, too.

So I've disabled most FBP settings, kept only "critical" ones and use it along with Adblock's FB annoyance list - but on uBlock Origin. It's all reasonably fast but I'd also wish FB worked faster. Note that PM 28 is noticeably faster than PM 27 when it comes to FB.

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-08, 18:42

Because of this, I use Facedump mostly on my smartphone. But my mom uses Facedump on the computer with PM and she complains about it. I'm about to just move her to FF and say forgetaboutit. But FF is shit so I don't know what to do.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-08, 19:23

Phantom, please do mind your tone. If you want to refer to something, do it with the normal terms, not a derogatory soundex of it. It serves no purpose but to be unnecessarily course.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-08-09, 01:50

Don't forget that many Americans these days use expletives as part of their normal speech, it is coarser language and therefore in some way republican (small r). Copraphilic words are perfectly normal to many and are used with impunity, not realising that they are still perceived as coarse in the rest of the world. He does not mean it to be coarse, he merely means it to sound casual.

PS. I have not found FB to be particularly slow on PM. It seems to be slow across the board. It is slowest when opening two or three new tabs containing FB pages. I receive lots of friend requests and I open each in a new tab to see whether it is from a bot account or a real user. This slows the browser and also my machine somewhat. It isn't a big problem but it happens.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-08-09, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-09, 16:11

Off-topic:
many Americans these days use expletives as part of their normal speech
Uh, no.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-08-09, 18:28

therube wrote:
Off-topic:
many Americans these days use expletives as part of their normal speech
Uh, no.
OH yes! SH1T is normal for vast amounts. It means nothing.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 20:25

Two things:

1. Review the forum rules: app.php/rules#foul-language
2. Tossing swear words into your sentences is still a different thing than purposefully twisting a name into something uniquely derogatory to that name.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-08-09, 20:46

Just popping back into my topic to say I didn't mean to start a war on words!
eatingpopcorn2-200.jpg
eatingpopcorn2-200.jpg (5.78 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
This board has several members suffering with lingering problems trying to use Pale Moon and Facebook successfully. I just hope my experience with "fixing" my Facebook helps somebody else. If nothing else to open new avenues of research into things to try.
Last edited by mommabear on 2018-08-09, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 21:31

You didn't start anything mommabear. Others did.
Your experiences and possible pointers to help others are greatly appreciated!

Phantom

Unread post by Phantom » 2018-08-10, 08:16

Moonchild wrote:Phantom, please do mind your tone. If you want to refer to something, do it with the normal terms, not a derogatory soundex of it. It serves no purpose but to be unnecessarily course.

Good grief. Give it a break. Who gives a rat's ass how I name Facebook.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-08-10, 10:48

Oh dear. I see something coming!

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-10, 12:40

Phantom wrote:Good grief. Give it a break. Who gives a rat's ass how I name Facebook.
A friendly reminder:

app.php/rules#not-a-democracy
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-12, 22:29

Trying now Facebook on a PC with much more modern hardware than my ageing desktop (notably far newer CPU + SATA3 SSD instead of SATA2 SSD), and it is blazing fast (PM 28) compared to what I was used to. Practically on a par with Firefox, and with FBP/Greasemonkey enabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-12, 23:58

Off-topic:
Phantom wrote:Good grief. Give it a break. Who gives a rat's ass how I name Facebook.
Who gives a rat's ass? Obviously, we do. Similarly we don't take kindly to other derivatives like "Failfox" or "Microshaft" or... you get my drift. Where would you draw the line, then? Just refer to companies, entities and individuals by their actual names. It's not that difficult.

The forum rules are there for a reason -- if for whatever reason you can't or feel compelled not to follow them, then kindly take your leave on your own accord.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-13, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Dustie_Rose » 2018-08-13, 11:58

I think the legal terms are: Defamation, Libel, Slander.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-09-14, 05:04

back2themoon wrote:There are some settings in FBP that indeed slow things down too much, for example the auto-sorting to "Most Recent". I've tried Social Fixer a few times but always go back to FBP. SF seemed even slower - perhaps some specific settings there, too.

So I've disabled most FBP settings, kept only "critical" ones and use it along with Adblock's FB annoyance list - but on uBlock Origin. It's all reasonably fast but I'd also wish FB worked faster. Note that PM 28 is noticeably faster than PM 27 when it comes to FB.
I'd rather not install GM, so I was trying the FBP addon. I hadn't heard of it until reading this thread. The version on their website is Webext, but the one on AMO isn't, so I installed it, but there's no options button in about:addons. Can I still customize it? I see no difference on FB, so I'm not even sure it's working.

FB has gotten slower and slower for me with PM over the years, even with 28+. That's one reason i use a separate copy (portable) of PM just to check FB, then close the browser as the memory use gets so high, it brings my PC to a crawl. Even simply typing in the filter box for the friends section, for example, freezes a few seconds after every letter typed. Eventually after browsing FB for a few minutes, doing anything requires waiting several seconds, sometimes a minute (especially clicking to a new page), depending on what it is.
Also, eventually user avatars stopped appearing in the search drop down list, but I was able to trick it for a short period of time, but that stopped working as well.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-14, 08:47

Brian wrote:I'd rather not install GM, so I was trying the FBP addon. I hadn't heard of it until reading this thread. The version on their website is Webext, but the one on AMO isn't, so I installed it, but there's no options button in about:addons. Can I still customize it? I see no difference on FB, so I'm not even sure it's working.
Facebook constantly changes its code and FBP quickly adapts with new versions. If you try to force-install an old version of FBP you are guaranteed to break Facebook at the very least. You should either install the most recent GM version, or not use FBP at all. Furthermore, the old FBP Firefox extension you are trying is not compatible with Pale Moon, so you are breaking both Facebook and your browser.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-14, 09:00, edited 4 times in total.

Brian

Unread post by Brian » 2018-09-14, 17:27

back2themoon wrote: Facebook constantly changes its code and FBP quickly adapts with new versions. If you try to force-install an old version of FBP you are guaranteed to break Facebook at the very least. You should either install the most recent GM version, or not use FBP at all. Furthermore, the old FBP Firefox extension you are trying is not compatible with Pale Moon, so you are breaking both Facebook and your browser.
Where can I find the GM script? I can't seem to.