Palemoon invented it's own layout after update (?) Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ShonkaiDJ

Palemoon invented it's own layout after update (?)

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-03, 10:54

I use palemoon since I moved away from the Firefox and it has been a great 'alternative'. It's actually no longer an alternative but to me it has turned the other way around. But today I started the Palemoon browser and suddenly it's complete layout has changed and I hate to have to manually fix all that (though I do not think I hav any choice here).

I wonder what happenend. On my laptop I had a beta version installed that almost flawlessly worked as the stable one so I did not at all expect the update of the next stable one to perform in such unexpected way. The main reason I moved away from firefox is that is no longer supports tabgroups. Palemoon does withy tabgruoops 3.0 and tabgroups helper. Tha last one just disappeared from my interface.

I never had Teamviewer as an addon in my interface, now I suddenly do. It changed the default search engine. I can live with that since it is not the only browser that constantly does that when it updates. Like Edge for example.

All my statusbar icons have dissapeared, I had a lot of Java icons on the left and many tabmixplus icons on the right. What is going on? I know the engine was going to a major update but the impact was very well communicated in Firefox, yet, is there any reason for Palemoon to have done a similar communication? I'm a bit disappointed. Whishing I was a developer so at least I would have been able to help out, but still very busy with what I am and for that pupose I now have to go an extra mile since I 'automated' a lot of my workflow in Palemoon.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Palemoon invented it's own layout after update (?)

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-03, 11:09

What version did you update from and to?

Pale Moon should not have changed your layout. It's stored in xulstore.json in your profile folder; could it be you switched to a different profile accidentally?
Off-topic:
ShonkaiDJ wrote:The main reason I moved away from firefox is that is no longer supports tabgroups.
Me too!

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-07, 19:18

SpockFan02 wrote:What version did you update from and to?

Pale Moon should not have changed your layout. It's stored in xulstore.json in your profile folder; could it be you switched to a different profile accidentally?
Hey there. Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the delayed response to that. A mini break and festival got in the way;
As far as I know I have always auto updated this browser so the update has been from 27.9.3 to 27.9.4. Haven't had the problem before. If it would have been a different profile (I use four profiles named 'YYYPMdevicenamev0,~v1,~v2 and ~TEST') it would have been a very strange accident but more importantly, I would have noticed the older TAB's moment.

The only thing I can think of now is that it may have been the Theme (Dark Moon) that broke the layout during the update. The theme has been updated on the second of august.

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-07, 19:24

SpockFan02 wrote:
Off-topic:
Me too!
Off-topic:
Are you testing The Waterfox Project too?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-08, 04:14

Off-topic:
ShonkaiDJ wrote:
SpockFan02 wrote:Me too!
Are you testing The Waterfox Project too?
I have tried Waterfox, yes. It's fine, and QuickSaver's version of Tab Groups works with it, but I prefer Pale Moon.

Unfortunately, Pale Moon Tab Groups is currently incompatible with the upcoming Pale Moon 28, and Moonchild has said he doesn't have time to work on it. I'm going to try to fix it, but don't know how successful I will be.

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-08, 13:47

Hey Spockfan02. I started a Topic on Tab Groups in the forum about PM 28. (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19840) Let's try to keep the work on Tab Groups there in the PM forums.

I somewhat agree and mostly use PM. It's my default browser in every profile. But because of the developers age when he started developing Waterfox (16 y.o. in 2011) and the good job he has already done and most likely also because of my age (I'm an old man) I really like to follow the Waterfox browser too. They are going to need some elements in their environment that Palemoon already has to be successful I am sure, but I am going to see where Waterfox will end up.

Oh. And the last Quicksaver version does work in PM 28 for me. Perfectly in combination with Tab Group Helper.
Last edited by ShonkaiDJ on 2018-08-08, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-09, 10:22

Today the same mess up happened in Palemoon 27.9.4 as it did after the update. I decided to move everything to PM28Beta because that browser now seems to be more stable than this latest stable version. Sorry to say but somehow happy too. About being on 28 already and therefore about the good work of Moonchild!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-09, 10:38

ShonkaiDJ wrote:About being on 28 already and therefore about the good work of Moonchild!
I don't want to take the credit. Everyone who has contributed to UXP and the new milestone deserves all high praise and kudos. We -all- did this, not just any one person.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-09, 11:23

Moonchild wrote:I don't want to take the credit. Everyone who has contributed to UXP and the new milestone deserves all high praise and kudos. We -all- did this, not just any one person.
You are very right. I think me as a '69 kid just loves your name and mean to write it as much as i can but that's not right.

I just want to want to thanks the UXP team for the apparent great work they have done ;-)! Kudo's to all (That should be a button)

ShonkaiDJ

Unread post by ShonkaiDJ » 2018-08-16, 08:25

It seems the main problem in PM27 wasn't PM but it was the skin called Dark Moon 2.1.0. I guess this topic can be locked.
Last edited by ShonkaiDJ on 2018-08-16, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.