Clues as to why Canada Post tracking URL does not work with PM?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Aurelia Odo Iunia

Clues as to why Canada Post tracking URL does not work with PM?

Unread post by Aurelia Odo Iunia » 2018-08-01, 22:34

Canada Post package tracking URL does not work (for me) with Pale Moon.

Example:

https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/ ... 9103678722

Firefox 60.1.0 ESR and Chomium 68.0 work OK.

Any clues as to what is preventing Pale Moon?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Clues as to why Canada Post tracking URL does not work with PM?

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-01, 22:45

Aurelia Odo Iunia wrote:Canada Post package tracking URL does not work (for me) with Pale Moon.
What exactly do you mean by "does not work"? Are you getting error messages, a blank screen, an application crash ... ?

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot from Pale Moon of it not working and another screenshot from another browser where it does work so we can see exactly what you're talking about.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-01, 22:56

It works fine (tracks the progress of the package) with PM 28 beta, which will probably be released later this month.

It will also work in PM 27.9.4 if:
about:config -> javascript.options.strict = true

Aurelia Odo Iunia

Unread post by Aurelia Odo Iunia » 2018-08-02, 01:12

Nigaikaze wrote: What exactly do you mean by "does not work"? Are you getting error messages, a blank screen, an application crash ... ?
That's interesting; I expected that everyone would be able to reproduce not-working-with-PM and compare to working-with-other-browsers by simply clicking the link. If the page does work correctly for you with PM, then that might mean a config problem on my end.

The expected result of following the URL is to see a page with package tracking information. When I attempt it with PM, I get a page with a never-ending status spinner animation that never completes loading.

Aurelia Odo Iunia

Unread post by Aurelia Odo Iunia » 2018-08-02, 01:17

coffeebreak wrote: It will also work in PM 27.9.4 if:
about:config -> javascript.options.strict = true
Changing this option also worked for me. What does the javascript.options.strict option do?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-02, 03:20

Aurelia Odo Iunia wrote:What does the javascript.options.strict option do?

According to Mozillazine knowledge base, it "controls whether JavaScript warnings are logged to the JavaScript Console." And see MDN's article, Strict mode.

I don't know why changing that setting "fixed" this for PM 27.*, but I do know that problems with several other sites have been solved by changing it.
(Canadapost.ca and the other sites threw the same console error, which is why I tried that setting.)

In any case, this issue will be moot when PM 28 is released later this month.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-02, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-02, 05:42

The MozillaZine KB is wrong.

It enables strict mode (strict standards compliance) on all JavaScript, even that which would normally be in "quirks"/"sloppy" mode. As a result, more things that would normally pass will throw errors.
It probably "fixes" this because their feature detection comes up with more failed features that are replaced with polyfills instead of assuming a feature based on allowance in sloppy mode.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite