New Outlook.com is dreadfully slow with Palemoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Drew99GT

New Outlook.com is dreadfully slow with Palemoon

Unread post by Drew99GT » 2018-07-29, 21:45

Title says it all; emails load slowly and the screen flickers and the page goes blank, and the srcoll bar disappears and reappears. I have to let it sit for about 45 seconds for everything to load before it's stable and usable. No issue with Internet Explorer.

Is there a fox for this or anyone have this issue???

Thanks!

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: New Outlook.com is dreadfully slow with Palemoon

Unread post by satrow » 2018-07-29, 22:11

I'm apparently using (rarely) the 'old' version, I just checked and it's pretty much as you describe, even with uBlockO, a quick glance at the cookies list for it might give some clues, the 2x highlighted ones are definitely Telemetry, I've no clue why they 'need' so many. I suspect there's an awful lot of other stuff going on as well, bad site.
Outlook.comCookies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-07-29, 22:12

Drew99GT wrote:
Is there a fox for this or anyone have this issue???
I experienced the same thing that you are with MS's email since they forced me onto their new mail. Pale Moon was more important to me than my MS email, so I switched my email to a different provider.

EDIT
satrow wrote:
I suspect there's an awful lot of other stuff going on as well, bad site.
I agree. I got the same flickering screen as the OP even with uBo disabled. MS really screwed up their email service.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-07-29, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-29, 22:58

On the positive side, I can tell you that the new Outlook.com interface behaves much better with Pale Moon UXP (v28 beta).
..but yeah, every time M$ makes some changes to it, things gets worse!
Just here the other day, it took me a while to come up with a workaround that actually let me use print preview, to be able to properly print a mail!
It's like they've gone out of their way to make things difficult for the users!
Unfortunately, M$ is not alone when it comes to this idiocy, because bad GUIs seems to be an ongoing trend everywhere these days.
Despite new "minimalistic" looks (which are supposedly optimized for mobile devices), they somehow manage to make things less responsive and difficult to use!
At least with Gmail (which I mostly use for spam catching), Google has the decency to present you with a good 'ol HTML option (although, not very easy to activate).

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-29, 23:11

I've got a Hotmail email account so I have to go through Outlook.com to get to my emails. I just opened up a new tab and checked on it. I'm still on the old Outlook version since I won't click on the "try the beta" button because if I do, I won't be able to revert back. Outlook started to switch over people to the new Outlook look, which I think (in my opinion) is a cluttered "clusterf&&k", sometime in March of 2018.

Outlook is still very fast for me. No slowdowns anywhere. But I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.4 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce. I'm always "Invisible" when I'm in Outlook because being visible or invisible (the question mark under the user's name) is directly related to Skype which Microsoft wants people to use. So there is always a question mark under my user name no matter how long I'm in Outlook.

The block I'm using in my linux Domain Blocker could be keeping my Outlook being fast to use with Pale Moon. Just a guess on my part. But I don't think the block will work with any Windows operating system since Microsoft can override the block in Windows 7, 8/8.1 and 10 if the block is placed in the Hosts file.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-29, 23:26

Night Wing wrote:I'm still on the old Outlook version since I won't click on the "try the beta" button
Never clicked on it myself, but eventually the new interface was forced upon me. :(

PS: to limit the damage done by Outlook.com's new interface, make sure that you take your time going through all of the settings..
Basically, this simply involves disabling just about every damn feature that can be disabled!
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-07-29, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-29, 23:47

Tomaso wrote:
Night Wing wrote:I'm still on the old Outlook version since I won't click on the "try the beta" button
Never clicked on it myself, but eventually the new interface was forced upon me. :(!
I'll have to keep checking on my Hotmail through Outlook. BTW, when I log out of Outlook, I go directly to my customized home page so I never see MSN.com at all. With my Domain Blocker working combined with never seeing MSN when I log out, I bet that must really irritate Micosoft since Microsoft knows I'm using a linux distro. :thumbup: One of the great benefits of running a linux distro while using Domain Blocker. :twisted: It "keeps the barbarians (Microsoft) at the gate where they can't get in". ;)
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-29, 23:57

Night Wing wrote:I never see MSN.com at all
Well, simply adding msn.com to your filters takes care of that. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-18, 11:20

Tomaso wrote:
Never clicked on it myself, but eventually the new interface was forced upon me. :(

PS: to limit the damage done by Outlook.com's new interface, make sure that you take your time going through all of the settings..
Basically, this simply involves disabling just about every damn feature that can be disabled!
Well, it finally happened. This morning when I checked my emails for Hotmail, I found I was switched over to the "new" interface for (Outlook.com) during the night. Most of my personal settings which I want and not what Microsoft wants........were not changed. I did go through all of the Settings and I had to make a few changes because of what Microsoft wanted, like "suggestions" which I didn't want.

But there was one setting I did try out and liked. The new "Dark Mode". That was nice and easy on my eyes so I kept it. And I'm still "invisible" in Outlook which Microsoft so far can't get around to make me visible.

As for Pale Moon on (Outlook.com), my 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce is very fast and I was expecting it to be just like linux Pale Moon had been with Outlook's "old" interface.