irritating DownTango issue - prevents Pale Moon downloads

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ronc2

irritating DownTango issue - prevents Pale Moon downloads

Unread post by ronc2 » 2013-02-05, 16:14

I recently installed Pale Moon on Win XP Service pack 3, all updates, Intel 2.53 Ghz, 2Gb memory, 240 Gb HDD.
Whenever I try to download anything from ANY site an error message appears saying that

"DownTango browser integration is disabled, but plugin wasn't uninstalled correctly.
Turn off browser integration in DownTango preferences or in browser's plugins section."

There is no plugin called DownTango, there is no application, extension, or helper application named
DownTango anywhere in my computer. What the hell is DownTango, how do I get around this ridiculous
error that prevents me from downloading with Pale Moon? If no s olution is forthcoming, I will remove
Pale Moon from my machine, advise my associates of this issue and encourage them to avoid Pale
Moon. There is no excuse for such errors, this DownTango issue does not occur with any of the three
other browsers I use, only Pale Moon.

Rohugh

Re: irritating DownTango issue - prevents Pale Moon download

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-02-05, 20:44

Pale Moon does not come with DownTango, it is a separate download manager that you have added or has been "added" for you. You need to find it and uninstall it but from what I can see it can be a bit stubborn to get rid of. A simple Google search showed that.

In a few words, not a problem with Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-05, 20:46

A quick search indicates that "Polish internet download manager application DownTango from the RedSky company."
So, it seems you have DownTango installed on your system (or at least the browser plugin left over from a previous installation) that intercepts file download requests. You may have had this download manager installed along with other software. It's very possible that you only see this error in Pale Moon because other browsers are "known" to DownTango and the integration works without further configuration.

Suggestions:
  1. Calm down - this is obviously a third party program that gives you this error, and not a Pale Moon problem. In fact, if it wasn't for Pale Moon, you probably wouldn't even know you had this software on your system... :)
  2. Make sure to check the add-ons manager (From the menu or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A), under the "plugins" tab on the left side. If you see any related plugin there, click the "disable" button.
  3. Make sure to check your computer for unwanted installed software, and remove it. Ask for assistance from someone local who has more IT knowledge if you are having trouble finding and removing the software.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-06, 01:56

Let me simplify things and make sure this issue doesn't come up again. When installing all software always always always do custom installs instead of the standard installs. They usually will try to intimidate you and say something to the effect of "You don't want to do that! That only is for expert users! You might break something!..." Ignore the warnings and then review everything that they try to install or change. This way you know precisely what is going on and you will not have this problem again.

The other thing to always keep in mind is how are companies making millions or billions from free goods and services? Your hardware is sold at just above cost. If consumers see hardware made by anyone other than Apple for 2 cents more than somewhere else they ruthlessly go buy it somewhere else. So much software is free that the public has become spoiled. In some ways the public is part of the problem. We are so used to getting something for nothing that the industry often times feels it is forced to resort to some rather unsavory means such as all of the online spying or by including junk software, homepage and search engine hijacks, junk toolbars and the like.