New Youtube Bug

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
XT-8147

Re: Youtube Shifted to Right Bug

Unread post by XT-8147 » 2018-08-17, 02:43

Played around with the page a bit in the inspector, came up with the following user style that fixes it.

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");

@-moz-document url-prefix("https://www.youtube.com/watch") {
  /* Edit this value to your desired side margin size! */
  :root {
    --side-margin-width: 50px;
  }
  /* For best results, don't change anything below. */
  #page.watch .content-alignment {
    max-width: 100% !important;
  }
  #page {
    margin-left: var(--side-margin-width) !important;
    margin-right: var(--side-margin-width) !important;
  }
}

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Youtube Shifted to Right Bug

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-17, 03:02

Well, if some of you are going to wait for Alphabet (Google's parent company) to fix the problem, I think you'll evenutally find that will not ever happen. However, for the brave souls amongst you who are feeling adventurous, below are the override codes I use for YouTube in both linux and windows Pale Moon (28.0.0). The codes below will give you the "new" interface, NOT the classic interface.

For 64 bit linux Pale Moon users:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0 (Pale Moon)
For 64 bit Windows 7 users:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0 (Pale Moon)
Remember this, there is no guarantee this will work on your computers so use the above codes at your own risk. If there is going to be a problem, I imagine it will be with a laptop computer. Like I said before, I have 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops) with a total of 9 hard drives comprising 5 linux Mint 19 hard drives and 4 Windows 7 hard drives. None of them have a problem with the new YouTube interface using Pale Moon (28.0.0).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: New Youtube Bug

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-08-17, 03:12

I also started experiencing the video shift after the update to 28, but I think it truly is a coincidence. I have two computers and one is still on 27.9.4 that was never updated to 28 and it's doing it too. It seems to be related to the window size. If I shrink the window horizontally I can make the video window shift to the left until it's back in the proper place. It's definitely some miscalculation in the web page.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-08-17, 03:21

Just like Nigaikaze, I've been using unstable Pale Moon 28 for quite a while and just noticed this problem this afternoon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-17, 03:55

This is a problem on Youtube's side. They are anchoring the video to the wrong window edge in their layout (right edge) which is a mistake with their "responsive layout" of the website.

I suggest people use the help/feedback form on youtube to report this to them.

As a workaround you can make your window less wide to "slide" the video back into its proper place.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

spline
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by spline » 2018-08-17, 03:58

Quick greasemonkey fix here, until Google fixes it on their end...

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37125 ... atting-fix

(not mine)

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2018-08-17, 04:18

Isengrim wrote:I've seen a few reports of this same behavior in Chrome and Firefox, so I can only assume that it isn't specific to Pale Moon.
As of today, I'm also getting this weird display on the latest Firefox Quantum, v61.0.2, using the YouTube Classic extension. So no, it's not specific to Pale Moon.
spline wrote:Quick greasemonkey fix here, until Google fixes it on their end...

(not mine)
Thanks. It works.

akshat1984

Unread post by akshat1984 » 2018-08-17, 04:40

Happened to me once using chrome but after update it was fixed.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-08-17, 04:44

Adjusting the zoom (zooming in a couple of ticks) actually solved it for me.

I had modified the browser's zoom values, so many of the zoom steps are closer together than the default.
(probably made it easier to find a good new zoom level, and not be limited to settings that zoomed either too far in or too far out.)
spline wrote:Quick greasemonkey fix here, until Google fixes it on their end...

(not mine)

This works too, in fact better.
Thank you.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-08-17, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2018-08-17, 11:00

I'm not sure if this happened for anyone else, but the YouTube issue seems to have just...mostly disappeared.
youtube.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-17, 11:05

Confirmed they seem to have fixed it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dookie

Unread post by dookie » 2018-08-17, 14:10

Great... it was Google/Youtube after all. Confirmed fixed after resetting useragent config setting back to PM default.

NovaDelta
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by NovaDelta » 2018-08-17, 19:45

Case Closed, problem solved. Thanks to all!

architeuthis96

Unread post by architeuthis96 » 2018-08-17, 19:49

YouTube and other video won't play since I installed Pale Moon 28.0.0 (64-bit). Issue remains in safe mode.
Last edited by architeuthis96 on 2018-08-17, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-17, 21:59

dookie wrote:Great... it was Google/Youtube after all.
I do say these things for a reason, you know?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-17, 22:21

architeuthis96 wrote:YouTube and other video won't play since I installed Pale Moon 28.0.0 (64-bit). Issue remains in safe mode.
Please start a new thread for your problem, and include the details about your system requested here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

dookie

Unread post by dookie » 2018-08-17, 22:52

Moonchild wrote: I do say these things for a reason, you know?
I wasn't really doubting it was the website after everyone replied about the timing and especially after the greasemonkey fix. Thanks anyway.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-17, 23:58

Daikun wrote:I'm not sure if this happened for anyone else, but the YouTube issue seems to have just...mostly disappeared.

youtube.jpg

Try removing the status bar temporarily and see if you notice a change and if you like the way Youtube looks then.

This is how mine looks:
Capture2.PNG
I set status bar as popup to create more space for screen otherwise it gets mashed like yours. I find I can use the menu bar or regular PM menu thing (doesn't matter they seem to have same effect) and always show tab bar and navigation bar. Any more toolbars gives me mashed youtube. This is on my normal resolution 1366 x 768 laptop. Firefox and other browsers behave similarly as I recall.

See example (here I have menu bar, navigation bar, always show tab bar, no status bar -pop up):
new.PNG
I add another toolbar (status bar) and I get smaller, squished youtube:
newing.PNG
For me its easiest to just toss the status bar and use a popup (status bar preferences) to briefly show various network/site statuses to keep YT videos looking the way I like them and how I am used to them.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-18, 09:56, edited 26 times in total.

endemion

Unread post by endemion » 2018-08-19, 22:50

For the record it fixed itself for me updating to 28 (don't like that I have to use an add-on to restore the quickdial to how it was in 27). But haven't done much resizing which someone said may cause the issue, I hope that doesn't happen.