Wonky YouTube page rendering

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
lihatt

Wonky YouTube page rendering

Unread post by lihatt » 2018-07-20, 00:47

I am not really sure whether to try this here or in YouTube's own support, but it is something that's only happening in Pale Moon, so...

Somewhere around a week ago I started to get this sort of display on YouTube:
Capture.JPG
What is extra strange is that this occurs only when I am actually logged in to my YouTube/Google account. If I log out, I get a normal display. (I get normal display regardless of login state on Firefox and Chrome, so I doubt it could be something weird in the account itself, not that I could find anything in the settings that seemed like it could be related.) I have tried clearing cookies and cache, Safe Mode, and creating an entirely new profile, and it persists in all these cases -- logged in is broken, logged out is OK. Any ideas?
Last edited by lihatt on 2018-07-20, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Wonky YouTube page rendering

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-20, 01:36

Lets start off with three things.

What is your operating system?
What version of Pale Moon are you using?
What is your user agent for YouTube?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-07-22, 18:01

i was thinking along the lines of do you have any youtube related userscripts that might change the layout or other settings?

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2018-07-25, 23:11

It looks like this in my browser, too. I'm always logged in, so I didn't notice the coincidence OP talks about. Win7HP 64bit, PM 27.9.4, Firefox compatibility mode. Frankly, it doesn't bother me much, as everything works fine, except for this out-of-place video screen. Weird though. :crazy:

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-26, 01:52

Looks fine on my end, logged in.
PaleMoon Youtube looks fine signed in.png
So try, Safe Mode.
Last edited by therube on 2018-07-26, 01:54, edited 2 times in total.

lihatt

Unread post by lihatt » 2018-08-06, 20:31

@therube, I already tried Safe Mode with no effect. The fact that it happens even in a fresh profile is very puzzling.
@franstam, no, no such scripts, and again, Safe Mode and new profile both had no effect.
Night Wing wrote:What is your operating system?
What version of Pale Moon are you using?
What is your user agent for YouTube?
OS - Windows 7 64 bit (at work, the screenshot in my top post) and Windows 10 Professional 64 bit (at home). I am not sure what build number Windows 10 I have off the top of my head (I am at work right now); I saw a mention in another thread from someone who looks like they're having the same problem that 1803 might be causing issues for some users?
PM version - 27.9.4 32-bit (I run 32 bit and not 64 on purpose because IME 64-bit often behaves unreliably)
User agent - here, general.useragent.override.youtube.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/27.9.4 (the default; I haven't changed it)
Last edited by lihatt on 2018-08-06, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-06, 22:08

lihatt wrote:OS - Windows 7 64 bit (at work, the screenshot in my top post) and Windows 10 Professional 64 bit (at home). I am not sure what build number Windows 10 I have off the top of my head (I am at work right now); I saw a mention in another thread from someone who looks like they're having the same problem that 1803 might be causing issues for some users?
PM version - 27.9.4 32-bit (I run 32 bit and not 64 on purpose because IME 64-bit often behaves unreliably)
User agent - here, general.useragent.override.youtube.com = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 PaleMoon/27.9.4 (the default; I haven't changed it)
Your screenshot is showing the "old" YouTube interface and Google has changed that interface with a "new" interface. This might be causing the problem since the new interface has "three vertical dots" to the left of the SIGN IN. Those three vertical dots are the Settings button in the new YouTube interface. And you will never get to the new YouTube interface with the user agent you've provided above. The user agent I'm going to give you is for YouTube "only".

I will give you a screen shot to show you what my YouTube looks like in Windows 7. I will also give you my user agent for my Windows 7, using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.9.4 which gives me the new YT interface, along with the Dark Them via the three vertical dots" Settings button. First my user agent for the new YouTube interface in Windows 7 using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.9.4 and then the screenshot which you will have to left click on to enlarge it to see what mine looks like compared to yours.

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0 (Pale Moon)
BUT REMEMBER THIS FIRST. If you change the user agent and this does not solve your problem, write down your old user agent so you can change back because the user agent I have given is for Windows 7 and not Windows 10. I don't use Windows 10.

One last note. I'm using Firefox Compatibility mode in both linux and windows Pale Moon.
Attachments
YTPMSS1366.png
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-08-06, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-06, 23:31

Duplicate topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19773
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite