Google captcha problem

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Trell
Moongazer
Moongazer

Google captcha problem

Unread post by Trell » 2018-07-16, 09:22

Hi,

since today I continuously get captcha requests from Google when performing a search from Pale Moon. After a few (usually one to three) searches the next search will show the captcha with the message that unusual traffic has been detected by Google.
I don't have this problem with other browsers at the same time on the same PC (Firefox, Chrome, Edge), if the IP had been rejected I assume that it would affect all browsers. I also disabled all Addons in Palemoon.

The issue occurs faster if searching over the search bar or address bar, but it still comes up when using the input field on the Google search page itself, though it can take 2-3 searches more before fails there.

Anyone else have this issue or an idea on how to solve it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google captcha problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-16, 10:35

Apparently it's become a problem as of today for other users as well. Sad that Google stoops this low!
Unfortunately very little can be done about Google's algorithms being biased against us apart from complaining to Google. Do they want our search traffic or not? I guess not...
Solution: use DuckDuckGo instead (it's Pale Moon's default)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-16, 11:17

Trell wrote:The issue occurs faster if searching over the search bar or address bar, but it still comes up when using the input field on the Google search page itself, though it can take 2-3 searches more before fails there.

Anyone else have this issue or an idea on how to solve it?
I don't use the search field in linux or windows Pale Moon so I cannot comment on Google's captcha problem in this regard. But I do use the input field on the Google search page itself. As an example, before I came to the Pale Moon forums site today, I had been on the Google search page itself close to an hour time wise, using the input field for standup boards looking at Gong, Imagine, Mongoboards, Sunova and Starboard.

After I was through, while staying on the Google site, again using Google's own input field, I did a search for mens socks looking at Thorlo and Bomba. At no time did I ever encounter a captcha or the unusual traffic prompt from Google.

This might be new from Google today but so far, it hasn't affected me. It may or may not from this time forward. Only time will tell from here on out.

I'm using Pale Moon 27.9.3 in both linux (99%) and windows (1%) of the the time since with two hard drives for each of my four computers, I dual boot both linux distros and the Windows 7 operating system. The only addons/extensions I use are Adblock Latitude and NoSquint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-07-16, 16:19

I've run into this issue a couple of times in the past.
On both occasions, renewing my IPs made the problem go away.

More info here:
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640/
and here:
https://www.lifewire.com/unusual-traffi ... s-3968165/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-16, 17:07

It's not purely an IP problem though, because then people checking with others browsers should also get the captchas there, logically. so Pale Moon is once again confirmed to be treated differently by Google.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-16, 17:57

I imagine this is just Google's way doing the "user agent sniffing" thing to get people to change to Chrome.

If this happens to me and it hasn't (yet), if it does I'll just create a different user agent to give Google the impression the browser I'm using and which Google is most likely sniffing for is linux Firefox 61 instead of linux Pale Moon. Simple as that.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2018-08-24, 15:03

Moonchild wrote:Apparently it's become a problem as of today for other users as well. Sad that Google stoops this low!
Unfortunately very little can be done about Google's algorithms being biased against us apart from complaining to Google. Do they want our search traffic or not? I guess not...
Solution: use DuckDuckGo instead (it's Pale Moon's default)
but now all sites that using recaptcha are having issue because it tries to use MessageChannel object, which is not enabled in v27.
for v27 users to get around the issue, create boolean value of "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it true in about:config.
Last edited by roytam1 on 2018-08-24, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

tenseys

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-24, 15:16

I've always used Google for search in PM via search/url fields and I've never been presented with a captcha.

Is this something that was briefly temporary in July pre-28?
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-24, 15:20, edited 6 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-24, 16:05

Thinking that things like Private Browsing, Tor, odd UA's may prompt Google to throw up captchas.

In general, I don't see captcha on google.com (searches).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-25, 06:07

If you use TOR you are on your own. Captchas are to be expected in that case and you'll just have to deal with it.