Google captcha problem

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderators: trava90, satrow

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Trell
New to the forum
New to the forum

Google captcha problem

Unread postby Trell » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 09:22

Hi,

since today I continuously get captcha requests from Google when performing a search from Pale Moon. After a few (usually one to three) searches the next search will show the captcha with the message that unusual traffic has been detected by Google.
I don't have this problem with other browsers at the same time on the same PC (Firefox, Chrome, Edge), if the IP had been rejected I assume that it would affect all browsers. I also disabled all Addons in Palemoon.

The issue occurs faster if searching over the search bar or address bar, but it still comes up when using the input field on the Google search page itself, though it can take 2-3 searches more before fails there.

Anyone else have this issue or an idea on how to solve it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google captcha problem

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 10:35

Apparently it's become a problem as of today for other users as well. Sad that Google stoops this low!
Unfortunately very little can be done about Google's algorithms being biased against us apart from complaining to Google. Do they want our search traffic or not? I guess not...
Solution: use DuckDuckGo instead (it's Pale Moon's default)
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 11:17

Trell wrote:The issue occurs faster if searching over the search bar or address bar, but it still comes up when using the input field on the Google search page itself, though it can take 2-3 searches more before fails there.

Anyone else have this issue or an idea on how to solve it?

I don't use the search field in linux or windows Pale Moon so I cannot comment on Google's captcha problem in this regard. But I do use the input field on the Google search page itself. As an example, before I came to the Pale Moon forums site today, I had been on the Google search page itself close to an hour time wise, using the input field for standup boards looking at Gong, Imagine, Mongoboards, Sunova and Starboard.

After I was through, while staying on the Google site, again using Google's own input field, I did a search for mens socks looking at Thorlo and Bomba. At no time did I ever encounter a captcha or the unusual traffic prompt from Google.

This might be new from Google today but so far, it hasn't affected me. It may or may not from this time forward. Only time will tell from here on out.

I'm using Pale Moon 27.9.3 in both linux (99%) and windows (1%) of the the time since with two hard drives for each of my four computers, I dual boot both linux distros and the Windows 7 operating system. The only addons/extensions I use are Adblock Latitude and NoSquint.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

Tomaso
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby Tomaso » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 16:19

I've run into this issue a couple of times in the past.
On both occasions, renewing my IPs made the problem go away.

More info here:
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640/
and here:
https://www.lifewire.com/unusual-traffi ... s-3968165/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 17:07

It's not purely an IP problem though, because then people checking with others browsers should also get the captchas there, logically. so Pale Moon is once again confirmed to be treated differently by Google.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby Night Wing » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 17:57

I imagine this is just Google's way doing the "user agent sniffing" thing to get people to change to Chrome.

If this happens to me and it hasn't (yet), if it does I'll just create a different user agent to give Google the impression the browser I'm using and which Google is most likely sniffing for is linux Firefox 61 instead of linux Pale Moon. Simple as that.
Linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce 64 Bit (Default OS) with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32 Bit windows Pale Moon

roytam1
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby roytam1 » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 15:03

Moonchild wrote:Apparently it's become a problem as of today for other users as well. Sad that Google stoops this low!
Unfortunately very little can be done about Google's algorithms being biased against us apart from complaining to Google. Do they want our search traffic or not? I guess not...
Solution: use DuckDuckGo instead (it's Pale Moon's default)

but now all sites that using recaptcha are having issue because it tries to use MessageChannel object, which is not enabled in v27.
for v27 users to get around the issue, create boolean value of "dom.messageChannel.enabled" and set it true in about:config.
Last edited by roytam1 on Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

tenseys
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby tenseys » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 15:16

I've always used Google for search in PM via search/url fields and I've never been presented with a captcha.

Is this something that was briefly temporary in July pre-28?
Last edited by tenseys on Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 15:20, edited 6 times in total.
I'm using Pale Moon version 28.0.1 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

therube
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby therube » Fri, 24 Aug 2018, 16:05

Thinking that things like Private Browsing, Tor, odd UA's may prompt Google to throw up captchas.

In general, I don't see captcha on google.com (searches).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Sat, 25 Aug 2018, 06:07

If you use TOR you are on your own. Captchas are to be expected in that case and you'll just have to deal with it.

Return to “General support”