PDF incorrectly associated as html

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
silverspr

PDF incorrectly associated as html

Unread post by silverspr » 2018-07-16, 04:54

Hello
I'm running Windows 10 build 1803, Pale Moon 27.9.3 64-bit
The problem I'm having is Pale Moon associates a pdf file as HTML and opens it incorrectly. Doesn't matter if the pdf is from a website or local file.
See attachment i.e. XX.pdf which is Pale Moon HTML Document
pmoonpdf.JPG
I've tried 32-bit pale moon, I've reinstalled, now switched to 64-bit but have been unable to resolve.
Am able to correctly view PDF files within other browsers MS Edge, Firefox but not Pale Moon.

This is driving me nutz...any help ideas are welcomed
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PDF incorrectly associated as html

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-16, 16:10

If you open a PDF from Windows Explorer, in what application does it open?

Right-click a PDF in Windows Explorer, Choose Program..., select your wanted Program, & select, 'Always use this program to open this kind of file', OK.

Check Addons Manager.
What setting show there relating to PDF & what are they set to?

Check Helper Applications in PM (not sure where that is offhand, but somewhere in Tools, Preferences, I gather).
What setting show there relating to PDF & what are they set to?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-07-16, 16:24

therube wrote:not sure where that is offhand, but somewhere in Tools, Preferences, I gather
Tools > Preferences > Applications, then look for application/pdf.
OP's screenshot suggests that the file MIME type is wrongly set to text/html, instead of application/pdf.
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-07-16, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.

silverspr

Unread post by silverspr » 2018-07-16, 17:33

Hello,
I have pdf files set to open in windows w/Microsoft Edge
In Pale Moon under Application | Preferences | PDF Use TWINUI (default), HTML Use Launch Windows App (default)
see attachment
pmoonpref.JPG
pmoonpdf2.png
Pale Moon Add-ons I have Moon PDF Viewer 1.0.2

I've tried changing Application |Preferences PDF, but has not made a difference. When Pale Moon opens a pdf, it trys to open as an html, it will actually append html to the document name i.e. fat.pdf.html
Is there a registry setting that can be changed??
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-07-16, 17:47

silverspr

Re: PDF incorrectly associated as html [SOLVED]

Unread post by silverspr » 2018-07-16, 20:08

Hello, I have investigated a bit further...the same problem occurs on a Linux box using Pale Moon which I have now determined is localized to a website. I am able to open PDF files within Pale Moon from other websites.
I mistakenly reported this as a local problem, dragging and dropping a PDF into Pale Moon does cause PM to open it. Whereas previously I was right clicking on the local PDF file and choosing pale moon to open with, which did not work.
I have since determined the issue is specific to a Joomla plugin installed to a website. Perhaps the plugin is not providing the correct mime info?
I do not think it is an issue with Pale Moon.
thanks all...sorry for any confusion.