Lower Memory Consumption

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mekineer

Lower Memory Consumption

Unread post by mekineer » 2018-07-14, 23:45

Ever since I started using a ramdrive set to 125mb for the pale moon cache, pale moon is using much less memory. On average 250mb, as opposed to 500mb+ without. It used to be even more, before I started using ublock origin on medium mode. Is there a correlation between reducing the cache from the default of 200mb, and memory usage? Some other explanation?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Lower Memory Consumption

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-07-15, 00:46

Don't know about the other thing, but using uBlock Origin does reduce memory usage (at least according to its developer). On the link below, scroll down to the heading "Performance" (about the middle of the page).

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2018-07-15, 00:51

It feels like the internet has gone back a decade in time, in terms of system resources.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-07-15, 01:32

mekineer wrote:It feels like the internet has gone back a decade in time, in terms of system resources.
This was also said a decade ago.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2018-07-15, 01:56

doofy wrote:
mekineer wrote:It feels like the internet has gone back a decade in time, in terms of system resources.
They must have been using the Lynx browser

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2018-07-15, 02:20

mekineer wrote:
doofy wrote:
Not at all - I was using FF a decade ago and moaning about its resource usage.

I assume there is a "somebody's" law that states that software designers get lazier in direct proportion to the amount of RAM they assume an end user to have.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2018-07-15, 02:27

doofy wrote:
mekineer wrote:
doofy wrote:
Not at all - I was using FF a decade ago and moaning about its resource usage.
I assume there is a "somebody's" law that states that software designers get lazier in direct proportion to the amount of RAM they assume an end user to have.
I meant, that I'm currently using very little RAM, comparable to ten years ago.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-15, 08:28

As far as I can tell what puts a user in ublock origin into "medium mode" is to check "I am an advanced user" --- So now that I've done this I get the advanced table.

Now I'm having a problem with a bank site -- I have no idea if the problem is due to uBo or the problem is due the bank website and so what I've done is UNCHECK "I am an advanced user" to presumably get back OUT of "medium mode" (because I do not see any other way to do this).(btw -- I'm allowing all requests so I wouldn't think the issue is NOT with uBo and IS with the bank-site but I can't be sure of course).

Okay -- but I am still getting the table displayed (see screen-shot) -- I would assume this would NOT display any longer if I UNCHECK "I am an advanced user" if in fact unchecking this option is what removes the user from "medium mode" and back to "easy mode" I think it's called.
medium mode.png
.... So am I still in "medium mode"?

.... and if so and UNCHECKING "I am an advanced user" does not get me out of "medium mode" --- then what does get my out of "medium mode"?

.... and if UNCHECKING "I am an advanced user" is what is supposed to get my out of "medium mode" then why would I continue to see the table (as pointed out in my screen-shot)?

Thanks in advance for any help (I'm on the phone with the bank to see what info I can get from then but with the automated systems all businesses use these days it's no fun trying to accomplish something on the phone any more).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-15, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-15, 09:27

^ Okay as a followup -
Off-topic:
the problem was with the bank -- they actually display this totally misleading message in regards to an active account with a balance when maintenance is being done:
incompetent bank.png
and as to my questions above it is my impression the screen-shot above is actually what you get in "easy mode" once a user has changed from "easy mode" which in that case they will get the screen-shot above (previous post) even if they change back to "easy mode" so that what the user had gotten before will not be the same as when the user had never used "easy mode" (which at that time there was no table at all).

So to clarify, I'm assuming that once a user uses something other than "easy mode" i.e "medium mode" -- then the difference will be the screen-shot previously posted with less information (which would then be "easy mode") after at some point of not using "easy mode" versus the screen-shot below which is actually "medium mode" with many more entries included in the table:
medium mode REALLY.png

So assuming I'm correct (if not please advise otherwise) then while I'm on the subject can anyone please explain what the "gray" option will do (instead of green for "allow" and/or red for "block" or "not allow") as illustrated in this screen-shot:
what does gray do.png
Thanks again in advance
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-07-15, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2018-07-15, 10:40

I thought the default cache size was still set to 350MB, though the Beta version I'm currently testing has a default of 250MB...

By using a RAM drive of 125MB instead of 250MB disk cache, you're freeing ~125MB (-250 in PM but +125 RAM drive) but accessing the 'net a lot more (cache is 'rotating' much faster), so you might be trading that free memory for a slower page download/display. That's fine for a fast unlimited line but maybe not so good for a slower/shared line, esp. if there's a limit and extra costs for exceeding it. Limiting (or clearing/cleaning on exit) cache isn't usually so good for mobile use either.

Using uBlock or other blocker should reduce memory usage significantly, I'm currently using ~6.3GB and I dread to think of how much greater that would be if I allowed the display of full-fat pages!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-07-15, 15:07

Pale Moon Rising wrote: So assuming I'm correct (if not please advise otherwise) then while I'm on the subject can anyone please explain what the "gray" option will do (instead of green for "allow" and/or red for "block" or "not allow") as illustrated in this screen-shot: what does gray do. Thanks again in advance
Gray = noop
noop: exclude network requests from being subjected to dynamic filtering.
It cancels dynamic filtering, but it does not cancel static filtering.
See Dynamic Filtering Actions

For a better understanding of how uBlock Origin dynamic filtering functions in medium or advanced mode watch the advanced video tutorial.
Last edited by CraigPD on 2018-07-15, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

mekineer

Unread post by mekineer » 2018-07-15, 15:51

Pale Moon Rising, see instructions on this page, which also has a link to a video that will teach you:
http://mekineer.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?i ... _extension

While I'm at it, this page covers the use of a ramdrive:
http://mekineer.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?i ... 8_ramdrive

Satrow, I found out what the default was through an old forum post, so I guess the 200mb is outdated info. However, if it's a disk cache, how could it be related to RAM consumption? Also, you're using 6.3gb??? Holy cow!
Last edited by mekineer on 2018-07-15, 16:04, edited 4 times in total.