Return of the google 'control ad settings' popup

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
rbruce1314

Return of the google 'control ad settings' popup

Unread post by rbruce1314 » 2018-07-10, 07:38

A couple of weeks ago I had some problems with google search which I solved thanks to this forum. :D :clap:

one has come back though and is driving me mad, happening with PM only and not any other browser.

EVERY time I open the browser or go to ANY google-controlled page (gmail etc.) I get the popup at top-right 'control your google ad settings' asking me to go to it or "no thanks". WHATEVER i choose the popup reappears on the next google-page.

Last time it disappeared with the removal of 'blockzilla' but now it's back with a vengeace and on PM only.

HOw the **** do I get rid of it? Intriguingly the addon 'block the overlay' removes it faultlessly, but it should not be there in the first place once I've made my choice . . . . . . .

It's these little things that eventually force one away from the best browser currently available - that or go mad!!!

Help anyone!?!?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Return of the google 'control ad settings' popup

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-07-10, 09:48

I've never seen what you're describing in either linux Pale Moon or windows Pale Moon. My wife has a Gmail account and she has never seen what you're describing either. She uses linux Pale Moon exclusively.

We're both using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.9.3 with the Adblock Latitude and NoSquint extensions. The only difference between us, I'm running 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce and she is running 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2018-07-10, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Return of the google 'control ad settings' popup

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-10, 10:03

Part of the frustration here is that, in the effort to block/clear things, you're likely blocking/clearing the very thing that remembers your choices on these sites. A certain amount of stored data is required to remember settings and if you block that or clear it after your session, then, well, the website sees you as a brand new first-visitor all over again.

So.. block and deal with the fall-out (needing a specific block for the popup) or don't block and have the site store your choices as-intended.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite