Videos Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
proton777

Videos

Unread post by proton777 » 2018-06-24, 15:21

Using 27.9.3 (32 and 64) on Windows 10. I believe problems existed in previous versions.

Problem 1:
On Youtube, two issues. 1) When everything is ok, maximum playback rate is 360p even with wired 250 mb connection. No HD options. 2) On other videos, error stating something to the effect that the browser can't play back video in the uploaded format. Works with FF.

Problem 2) Embedded videos on Twitter say "We cannot play the video in this browser. Please try a different we browser." Works with FF.

Problem 3) Certain pages don't load - example: https://qanon.pub/ . Works with FF

Problem 4) Certain pages within etrade.com website will not load. Works with FF.

Looking through some posts, all I could find was to disable Media Source Extensions. No help.

Thanks for any help

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Videos

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-24, 16:21

1. do you display the Menu Bar in PM? if so, turn it off & see if that changes anything.

2. URL? what version of FF?

3. don't load or don't display as expected?
(the latter. likewise in FF38.)
(& it is not a useragent issue, at least using a 52 does not get things working.)
Most likely that page simply won't work in PM 27.

4. URLs?
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-24, 16:27, edited 6 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-24, 18:12

MSE is needed to play HD YouTube videos. Also, IIRC some Windows 10 versions include one or two additional codecs that will break Pale Moon video playback.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-24, 21:49

Windows 10, so this is most likely the HEVC issue with the latest Win10 incarnation.

If someone has the link handy to the relevant thread, that would be nice, otherwise try using the forum search for "HEVC" and "Windows 10"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

proton777

Unread post by proton777 » 2018-06-25, 00:37

therube, here are the answers to your questions

1) Yes, I used the menu bar. I removed it, reopened PM and no change with issues.

2) An example of embedded Twitter videos not playing and getting "We cannot play the video in this browser. Please try a different web browser" instead - https://twitter.com/tracybeanz

Using FF 60.0.2

3) Sorry, pages do not display as expected. It fully loads and the basic page outline is there but the information is not displayed

4) The main page is www.etrade.com, after logging in, certain pages are similar to item 3 above are observed.

5) NEW - similar issue now with embedded Facebook videos. The correct thumbnail is shown with the super-imposed PLAY triangle over the video, but when PLAY is clicked, nothing happens.

proton777

Unread post by proton777 » 2018-06-25, 01:59

HEVC was the solution. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me fix this.