Bug report, unsure how to let you know.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Strainj1

Bug report, unsure how to let you know.

Unread post by Strainj1 » 2018-06-24, 08:46

Hi

After getting frustrated with firefox's over-the-top updates and resource hogging, i found Pale Moon, am loving it, and have even donated :)

However i have been noticing a few bugs and am unsure how to report them

1.After opening a significant amount of tabs/windows (say 20ish) - Pale moon often displays random black areas all over the browser, often meaning it's unusable - the only solution is to quit all windows entirely and then open again.

2. Google captcha's are frequently reporting that my browser is doing something suspicious - i always need to verify on every form, every time, and sometimes it even stops me from normal searches

I really appreciate what the developers of Pale Moon have done with this - it's a light weight browser that is exactly what i'm looking for - I want to help it's development - what is the best way for me to report issues (such as above) ?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Bug report, unsure how to let you know.

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-06-24, 10:52

Strainj1 wrote:After getting frustrated with firefox's over-the-top updates and resource hogging, i found Pale Moon, am loving it, and have even donated :)
Welcome to the forum!
Strainj1 wrote:However i have been noticing a few bugs and am unsure how to report them
The best way is to create a topic about it, as you have just done. It helps to include support information when posting, such as your system information and steps to reproduce.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1996
Strainj1 wrote:2. Google captcha's are frequently reporting that my browser is doing something suspicious - i always need to verify on every form, every time, and sometimes it even stops me from normal searches
This one isn't a bug, it's how Captcha (unfortunately) operates.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19347&p=142870#p142871
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19044#p140377
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-24, 11:13

Point 1. usually indicates your system is running out of GDI/texture resources. Common causes for that are old or poorly-written video drivers and/or embedded (minimal) graphics chips that don't have enough shared system memory allocated to them.
To troubleshoot that we'll need the information from help -> troubleshooting information (copy text button)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-24, 12:09

2. Using Private Browsing (Private Window), can trigger that

1. I filed this OLD Bug 1108253 - OMTC: Screen Goes Black against an even older version of FF (then PM 27), for the screen going black. Not suggesting the disabling OMTC is the answer (might not even be available in PM ?) but it might point out some avenues to look at. (And at some point, in a future Mozilla version, things simply resolved themselves where the issue hasn't cropped up again... knock on...)
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-24, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.