Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
floatingkeyboards

Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2018-06-23, 12:45

Does anyone know if Pale Moon Windows will work with Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro?

I would think it would but I notice that the built in Internet Explorer browser looks kiosk like, and doesn't seem to have a lot of customization available.

Edit: I notice that there is an option "view in desktop," which gets it out of the kiosk looking browser.
Last edited by floatingkeyboards on 2018-06-23, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-23, 14:07

Why would you want to use a specialized industry embedded version of Windows 8.1 that is designed to be single-application-specific as a generic Windows OS?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-23, 21:56

Is this the one they use on handhelds?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-24, 17:53

Off-topic:
No, handhelds use Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact or Microsoft Windows Embedded Handheld. The "Industry" version is intended for PoS-like devices.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2018-06-24, 22:04

Moonchild wrote:Why would you want to use a specialized industry embedded version of Windows 8.1 that is designed to be single-application-specific as a generic Windows OS?
It's available for free for some students.

floatingkeyboards

Unread post by floatingkeyboards » 2018-06-26, 06:29

Moonchild wrote:Why would you want to use a specialized industry embedded version of Windows 8.1 that is designed to be single-application-specific as a generic Windows OS?
I am very new to it so I can only answer your question to an extent. I will try to cycle back here later and update.

1. There is no bloatware on it. Totally lean. It's around 10GB installed vs about 27GB for Windows 10 home.
2. The updates might not grab the telemetry updates. But, it's also possible that they are just labeled something different.

I wonder if being able to lock down the computer more could be an advantage in malware defense.

As far as why Windows 8.1 vs other MS OS's:
reasonably far out EOL, doesn't force updates on you.

I'd imagine that there are drawbacks like you have hinted at. Maybe some software wont work as easily out of the box but I have not come across any proof that that's true.

As an aside, I really admire and appreciate your work in developing the Pale Moon browser.
Last edited by floatingkeyboards on 2018-06-26, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.