Slow Shutdown

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lurkios

Slow Shutdown

Unread post by Lurkios » 2013-01-26, 14:41

Several (and by several, I mean months) updates back Palemoon started slowing shutdowns down considerably. If I close the browser and immediately shutdown everything is normal, but if I shutdown without first closing the browser the browser will hang for 2-3 minutes while windows sits on the "Waiting for these programs to close..." screen. Cancelling the shutdown and trying to close Palemoon at that point does nothing, the browser will still sit for 2-3 minutes, completely unresponsive, before it closes.

Any ideas? It's not a big thing but I keep forgetting to close the browser before I shutdown, so I'd like to just fix it if possible.

dark_moon

Re: Slow Shutdown

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-26, 15:40

Welcome to the forum.

Hmm i know what you mean- but i don't have this issue with pale moon.

Do you try a new pale moon profile?
What for antivirus, etc. programms do you use? Help it if you disable this before you shutdown?

Lurkios

Unread post by Lurkios » 2013-01-26, 18:06

Thank you -

I just gave a new profile and killing my AV a shot, same behavior either way. Having a lot of trouble pinpointing the cause. I have a Windows 7 VM that exhibits that same behavior, but a Windows XP one does not. They're all the exact same configuration, so far as I can tell.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-26, 18:24

Can you please post some hardware data?
Drive space, speed, IDE or SATA, How much memory is free, which windows,....

Have you this problem only with pale moon? Do you use the acutally version? (15.4)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-01-27, 01:59

I don't have the problem you're describing. But, both of my desktop computers have lots of memory and a fast i7 processor ship speed.

One computer has 24 GB of memory with i7 processor chip speed of 2.93 GHz. The other computer has 16 GB of memory with i7 processor chip speed of 2.80 GHz.

Closing the PM browser and then clicking on shutdown, both computers shut down within 10 seconds of time.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Lurkios

Unread post by Lurkios » 2013-01-27, 15:39

Drive Space: 31.3GB free on an Intel X2 SSD (SATA, 230 Megs per second read, 75 megs per second write)
Alternate Drives: Have a raid 5 and several externals as well, nothing to do with Pale Moon - it's on the SSD
Memory: 4.04GB free (6 gigs total, DDR3 tri-channel @ 1603)
Processor: i7 920 @ 3.6GHz

-The problem only exists with Palemoon, leaving other programs open when shutting down (firefox included) does not cause any slowdown.
-If I close the PM browser then click shutdown the computer is off within a few seconds. If I click shutdown while PM is still open it's 2-3 minutes.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-01-27, 16:02

Lurkios wrote:The problem only exists with Palemoon, leaving other programs open when shutting down (firefox included) does not cause any slowdown.
-If I close the PM browser then click shutdown the computer is off within a few seconds. If I click shutdown while PM is still open it's 2-3 minutes.
I tried duplicating your moves. BTW, I'm also running Windows 7 Home Premium on one computer and Windows 7 Ultimate on the second computer. Both versions are 64 bit.

If I close PM, shutdown occurs in 10 seconds. If I click shutdown while PM is still open, both computers shut down within 15 seconds.

On your computer, I think the problem is not with PM. Might be a quirk with your computer or a setting.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-27, 17:02

Hmm i have Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1, a Samsung 830 64GB SSD - where pale moon is installed, 4 GB DDR2 memory and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 2,8 Ghz
So if i now shutdown windows, without closing pale moon windows shutdown instant. No problems.

Do you try the portable version? Maybe a plugin (not a addon) need so long.
The best is if you log the time from click closing pale moon with the microsoft tool ProcessMonitor

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-27, 17:34

You may also want to look at any anti-malware programs you have. If Pale Moon is being scanned on-access (including profile) then it may slow down the shutdown of the program because it will write a lot of data to a good number of different files upon shutdown (cache, session store, places/cookies databases, etc.) You may need to make sure pale Moon's application folder (C:\program files (x86)\Pale Moon) and profile folder (C:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\moonchild productions\pale moon\) are completely excluded from the on-access scanner.
In this case Firefox, being a mainstream big player, will most likely have a special case pre-set in the anti-malware software.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-01-27, 20:23

I think the Addon XMarks causes a shutdown delay if I have just modified a number of Bookmarks and it has not yet finished synchronising the remote backups.

Perhaps there are other Addons that might similarly have work to do before releasing Palemoon.