Facebook features stopped working (META)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
lashkevi
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Facebook Chat stopped working

Unread post by lashkevi » 2018-06-19, 17:28

Facebook share does not work from yesterday, and emotion likes do not work since this hour.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: facebook share stopped working

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-06-19, 17:45

Looks like we're all having problem....

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19455

@ Mods....Maybe all these new FB threads could be merged.

lashkevi
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by lashkevi » 2018-06-19, 18:21

The unstable release works well with Facebook, but it is not a good idea for everybody to use it.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-06-19, 18:23

This seems like a never ending story in regard to facebook.its a constant moving target of a website.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

TheDixieFlatline

Unread post by TheDixieFlatline » 2018-06-19, 18:49

Workaround until this is sorted:
Right-click the time stamp on the post you want to share
Copy link location
Paste into a new post
When the link-preview has loaded, you can delete the URL you pasted, if you so wish.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Facebook messenger not working

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-19, 19:41

As pages become more and more incompatible because of that annoying ecmascript usage... I really recommend to switch over to Unstable Pale Moon - http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

Using this as my standard browser and i really can not say i have experienced any bad glitches or bugs so far. But just in case, make a backup of your profile folder. Once you switch over to unstable - there is no more downgrade possible because the profiles between Pale Moon stable and unstable are not compatible with each other.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-06-19, 19:46

Sajadi wrote:As pages become more and more incompatible because of that annoying ecmascript usage... I really recommend to switch over to Unstable Pale Moon - http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

Using this as my standard browser and i really can not say i have experienced any bad glitches or bugs so far. But just in case, make a backup of your profile folder. Once you switch over to unstable - there is no more downgrade possible because the profiles between Pale Moon stable and unstable are not compatible with each other.
Does the unstable version keep the native GUI option for tabs on bottom? It's an unarguable must-have feature for me.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-19, 19:49

You can customize the new unstable 28 the same way like the stable. The big difference is UXP which makes Pale Moon much more compatible with recent pages - but the UI is the same like it is right now.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-06-19, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2018-06-19, 19:52

Sajadi wrote:You can customize the new unstable 28 the same way like the stable. The big difference is UXP which makes Pale Moon much more compatible with recent pages - but the UI is the same like it is right now.
Nice :) Am I correct in assuming addons will have to be redownloaded? Since there would have to be UXP-versions of them I suppose. Or does "old" addons still work?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-19, 19:53

that depends on the add-ons which you are using. If you backup your profile first, install then the new Pale Moon unstable - your whole profile should be used as it is - so you should in the best case experience no trouble when updating.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Facebook Chat stopped working

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-19, 19:57

The only way to experience good web-compatibility again is to switch over to unstable. UXP supports many "standards" the recent Pale Moon version does not. Facebook is sadly such an example...

Remember to make a backup of your profile first before installing the unstable.

http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-06-19, 19:59

Unstable is rather issue free. I use it as my normal browser, and no big issues or glitches of which i could complain. But before installing... make a backup of your profile folder as there is no going back once you have made the switch over to the new unstable.

And it is the only way to experience the broken pages in full functionality again.

http://www.palemoon.org/unstable/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-19, 21:10

Unstable does still have a few issues that need to be solved. If you e.g. use the quickdial page, it's not really working yet.
So there are definitely some features that you might miss.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-06-19, 21:48

I just installed the unstable version so FB works again. So far I haven't noticed any hiccups in my Pale Moon setup. I'm just glad FB works again. I added Maxthon Portable yesterday just for FB because FBPurity also supports Maxthon. FBPurity doesn't work in IE.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Alikhat

Facebook Reactions Suddenly Not Usable on Pale Moon

Unread post by Alikhat » 2018-06-19, 22:33

About an hour ago the reaction icons on FB suddenly became unusable in Pale Moon. I'm speaking about the bar with various icons that comes up when you hover over Like. I didn't change any settings, add anything or upgrade. They just stopped for no apparent reason. Said icon bar is still showing up in both Firefox and Chrome. So, I know it's not an FB issue. I can still see the icons under posts that other people have selected. I just can't access them.

I've tried rebooting. Nothing changed.

Oh, and I just discovered animated gifs aren't working in FB, either. Again, just in PM.

How do I fix this?
Last edited by Alikhat on 2018-06-19, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2018-06-19, 22:41

Tried rolling back to 27.9.2, didn't help.

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2018-06-19, 22:51

rabnbeinn wrote: Videos are working and have been working flawlessly for months, but as of today there are now no buttons for stop/rewind/forward etc.
Adding to the chat issue, I'm now experiencing the same issue with videos. The most annoying is not being able to adjust the volume since some tend to be quite loud

In addition, although the "Like" button can be selected, the other options (heart, sad, wow) are not working.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

SLotman

Unread post by SLotman » 2018-06-19, 22:53

rabnbeinn wrote: Videos are working and have been working flawlessly for months, but as of today there are now no buttons for stop/rewind/forward etc.
I confirm that. Same thing here, really annoying :/
Corrine wrote:In addition, although the "Like" button can be selected, the other options (heart, sad, wow) are not working.
Yup, that too. What is going on...? If that keeps up, by the end of the week we won't be able to open facebook at all :wtf:
Last edited by SLotman on 2018-06-19, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Facebook Reactions Suddenly Not Usable on Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-20, 00:16

We are aware that some Facebook functions have stopped working properly for some people with a recent update they did. It's currently not yet known exactly what was done to cause compatibility issues with us, but we are looking into it. As a temporary workaround, you can use the Basilisk browser (also published by us) for your Facebook needs. You can find this alternative at www.basilisk-browser.org.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-20, 00:17

We are aware that some Facebook functions have stopped working properly for some people with a recent update they did. It's currently not yet known exactly what was done to cause compatibility issues with us, but we are looking into it. As a temporary workaround, you can use the Basilisk browser (also published by us) for your Facebook needs. You can find this alternative at www.basilisk-browser.org.