Font rendering (ClearType?) issue Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
wrath_rime

Font rendering (ClearType?) issue

Unread post by wrath_rime » 2018-06-15, 19:37

Windows 7 x64. I have ClearType disabled in my system, because I prefer "full pixel" font rendering whenever possible. I've just tried upgrading from stable 27.9 to latest unstable release. It appears that downloadable fonts are rendered really bad (hard to read) in 28.x. I haven't tried with fresh profile since I want to preserve all of my profile with addons and settings. I had this issue previously few years ago, also while upgrading from another major version of the Pale Moon. I remember that I've received help about it but it looks my previous account on the forum is gone for some reason or I can't find that topic anymore. I have no idea if it was ClearType, or maybe some "deeper" setting like DirectX or hardware acceleration related.
Marked expected results in red rectangles. Notice how weirdly Roboto font is rendered in PM 28.
ClearType settings:

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Font rendering (ClearType?) issue

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-06-16, 07:14

Anything here that might help?
viewtopic.php?t=13644

Also, is there a portable version of 28 that you could try?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

wrath_rime

Re: Font rendering (ClearType?) issue

Unread post by wrath_rime » 2018-06-18, 14:39

Fixed by setting layers acceleration mode back to Default.