WMV support for embedded video Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

WMV support for embedded video

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-13, 00:03

For Firefox browsers there used to be a Windows media Player plugin provided by port25.technet.com but that site has since disappeared. The plugin was most useful for playing AVI and WMV video from an embed tag on a web page.

Even though Windows Media Player might be installed, Mozilla browsers still had to download and install the plugin. I have managed to locate a Microsoft signed download for the plugin but it fails to install on Windows 7 which includes Windows Media Player version 11 by default. The plugin version is version 11 but an older version than that included in Windows 7 and later, so it fails to install.

Anyone have a better idea for WMV support without using a HTML5 player?
Last edited by Pelican on 2018-06-13, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: WMV support for embedded video

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-13, 00:35

Presumably you have:

wmpfirefoxplugin_1008.exe
md5: ed324284fa119ef0f240ac9e2262d666

You can extract its contents with 7-Zip (GUI or command-line).
Extracted, you will find a file, ffplugin.msi.
Extract that also with 7-zip.
That will yield (among others) a file, NPMSWMPdll.
Rename that to NPMSWMP.dll.

That's what you need.

And copy that file... where?
I don't remember?

See if Profile_folder/extensions/ works?
After restarting PM, check about:plugins &/or Addons Manager & see if it shows up.

(You mean to tell me that sites still have wmv content about ;-).)

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-06-13, 20:35

Copy to browser\plugins, next plugins.load_appdir_plugins;true

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-13, 21:05

I located the unpacked version as advised. Also found a later version to fix a security vulnerability. Will try some tests later today with/without mimetype mapping in the registry.

Why WMV? Mainly because by using Windows Media Player plugin it doesn't need HTML5 or a Flash player. Also, some of us have a large collection of WMV videos from the days before H.264 compression and YouTube's free video service. WMV was then the best lossless compression that produced smaller file sizes. In those days we had to use our own stream server and paid handsomely for data usage. I doubt if my WMV will survive conversion to MP4.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-06-13, 22:35

Off-topic:
WilliamK wrote:WMV was then the best lossless compression that produced smaller file sizes.
IIRC WMV is based on MPEG-4 Part 2 and it is not lossless.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-06-15, 23:00

I have been downloading those videos and playing them locally with VLC, since Flip4Mac no longer exists.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-15, 23:18

Goodydino wrote:I have been downloading those videos and playing them locally with VLC
My project is for online viewing via a web browser that doesn't currently support HTML5. I think VLC was one that I recently reviewed and found it to be using HTML5.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2018-06-19, 03:07

Fedor2 wrote:Copy to browser\plugins]
Too easy! Didn't need to alter any preferences and no dll registration needed :-)