conms.exe error message. Any expert help here?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Warmower

conms.exe error message. Any expert help here?

Unread post by Warmower » 2013-01-24, 02:20

I'm receiving this error message:

"conms.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

It all started with when I open the Pale Moon browser, I keep having messages from Firefox to update the Quicktime plugin, which I did.

Unfortunately, I downloaded the original bloated Apple version, which is probably why I keep having the conms.exe error message. So, I uninstall the original Quicktime version, went back to Quicktime Alternative. And I still keep having the same conms.exe error, and still keep having the Firefox page telling me to update the Quicktime plugin.

Any way you can solve this?

dark_moon

Re: conms.exe error message. Any expert help here?

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-24, 04:15

Welcome to the forum.

Is conms.exe realy from quicktime? Can't find any infos about this exe.

Do you try a clean, new pale moon profile? For what do you need quicktime? The most websites don't need this

Warmower

Unread post by Warmower » 2013-01-24, 04:26

Like I said, I've made mistake of installing Quicktime just to get rid of the Firefox Plugin page. Dumb move on my part, sorry.

After reading through most of the forums, I've managed to get rid of the Plugin page, but still getting the conms.exe error message.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-24, 10:08

I see very little information about conms.exe either - I could possibly be malware-related. Try to find the exe on your system and upload it to virustotal for analysis?
https://www.virustotal.com/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Warmower

Unread post by Warmower » 2013-01-24, 17:32

Sorry, for the late reply.

You're right, it's a Malware; TR/Kazy.133936 trojan

I've had Avira trying to remove the Malware but no response.

Meanwhile, I might look around for info & solutions to regarding the TR/Kazy.133936

What's your diagnosis, btw?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-24, 17:48

Save all your data with a linux cd, then format your complete harddrive and install a fresh windows.

After that install all windows updates + service packs for your windows version and create a better security plan.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-25, 09:51

I will give some general advice that doesn't require expert level skills- but this will be a great learning opportunity.

Search method: What you do is go open up your task manager and see what processes are running. Now, go type each and every process into your search engine and there will be a number of sites that have them all listed and explain just what the heck they do. Everyone should do this at least once because it will show you what really is going on in the background. It will show you what you need and don't need running and take your understanding of just how computers run to a new level.

Soluto: After you have done the searches install the program Soluto. I am in the process of finding the last version that only had the boot tamer. You can run the newer versions(and refuse to update)- but with the new versions don't use any other features besides "Chop Boot." The rest of the features and all the cloud bullshit the new versions are trying to sell are all garbage IMO. You right click on the icon, click advanced, "Open old desktop App" and then "Chop boot." Now, it will give a very well presented interface that will show you everything autostarting. It will tell you what most of them are and give recommendations on if you should keep them in boot. You will have 3 options. Keep in boot, pause(stop) or delay. You really will only need to set it up once and then periodically check it after you make more installs and updates- as some updates have a nasty habit of trying to jam their way back into always starting.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-01-25, 15:25

Sry Apollo, but this isnt' the right way.
Soluto is only for pc beginner and this isn't the best tool to optimize the pc but your method to search online the unknown process for the user is a good idea.

Malware can use a system process, so you didn't see it with the taskmanager.
Only with the Process Explorer tool from Microsoft can you (better) detect it.

Why installing a programm when the pc is infected? My way ist the best and only way if your pc is infected cause you didn't know which files are infected and which not.
Anyway you can easy check all autostart entries with the Autoruns tool from Microsoft. No other programm find all entries what Autoruns show you.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-25, 16:53

Sry Apollo, but this isnt' the right way.
Soluto is only for pc beginner and this isn't the best tool to optimize the pc but your method to search online the unknown process for the user is a good idea.
That is who my advice generally given for. Hardcore techies will already have configured the daylights out of their systems- perhaps too aggressively. I a couple of days ago I wrote an essay basically saying to stop obsessing about speed, benchmarks, and if programs are using .0003% of your resources and just enjoy their computer. Sometimes a little knowledge isn't such a good thing.
Why installing a programm when the pc is infected? My way ist the best and only way if your pc is infected cause you didn't know which files are infected and which not.
Anyway you can easy check all autostart entries with the Autoruns tool from Microsoft. No other programm find all entries what Autoruns show you.
I agree. I should amend my post to say that those are things to do in general- not in the middle of an infection.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-25, 17:05

I personally have good experiences with TrendMicro's Housecall when dealing with an infected PC. You may want to try that if your currently installed AV program has trouble removing the malware.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alan9182

Unread post by alan9182 » 2013-01-27, 20:14

dark_moon wrote:Save all your data with a linux cd, then format your complete harddrive and install a fresh windows.
Questions to be asked and answered BEFORE restoring or even accessing the data that is saved :-

Are any of the data backup files infected and a danger to any P.C. that sees them ?
I think Conficker was quite able to hit any P.C. that received an infected Flash Drive.

Has the malware been absolutely identified as only affecting Windows ?
I believe that some malware can attack more than one type of Operating System.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-01-28, 05:09

Has the malware been absolutely identified as only affecting Windows ?
I believe that some malware can attack more than one type of Operating System.
You would have to look that up based on each infection and what holes it was attacking. Naturally each OS is very different so they are not as likely to find the same weaknesses in all of them- but it isn't impossible.

Also, Mac and Linux are going to face much less risk. Part of that is by design and and part of it is a matter of market share. Windows has the near monopoly so it has the biggest bullseye. However, a really :evil: virus creator might target a Mac because their users will be in the highest income brackets.