Twitter redirecting to mobile site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Twitter redirecting to mobile site

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-05-22, 12:45

FYI, it looks like Twitter has incorporated user agent sniffing that redirects twitter.com to mobile.twitter.com if Pale Moon is set to Native mode or Gecko Compatibility. You can get around this by either switching to Firefox Compatibility or setting a user agent override for twitter.com in about:config. And also please complain to Twitter about their erroneous user agent sniffing.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Twitter redirecting to mobile site

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 15:18

I've seen some people ask abut this on Twitter, but on my own account I don't see any issues. Twitter looks like it always has.
Potentially more live A/B testing going on. it's also not limited to Pale Moon! Apparently the same happens for people on Firefox.
Attachments
tw1.jpg
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-05-22, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2018-05-22, 15:34

I had this problem yesterday, so now I'm using IE11 user agent.

general.useragent.override.twitter.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 15:37

Twitter just needs to get their ducks in a row.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Samson

Unread post by Samson » 2018-05-22, 20:14

Yep, getting this too. Pale Moon and Basilisk both. Other browsers display the desktop page. I already sent in my report about it to them but honestly don't expect them to fix this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-22, 22:03

Samson wrote:honestly don't expect them to fix this
I do expect them to fix it. There's no reason to send all Mozilla-based browsers to the mobile version of the site.

databaseben

Twitter sees Palemoon as mobile app

Unread post by databaseben » 2018-05-22, 23:05

Okay, for years palemoon on my laptop could log into twitter and would load "twitter for pc" version. But as of yesterday, when palemoon logs into twitter, it loads mobile.twitter. I deleted twitter cookies. But palemoon isnt loading the pc version of twitter. As a test, i did find that twitter for pc does launch/load on firefox and chrome. So i think that the problem might be at the twitter level or our palemoon browsers need an update so it is not recognized as a mobile app.

~dbben

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-05-23, 00:47

databaseben wrote:So i think that the problem might be at the twitter level
As already stated above, yes it is at the Twitter level. Your choices are (again, as stated above): 1) to switch to Firefox Compatibility user agent; 2) to set up a useragent override for twitter.com in about:config; or 3) deal with the mobile site until Twitter decides to fix this.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.