Save History separate from Bookmarks?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Save History separate from Bookmarks?

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-21, 04:56

I am running PM 27.9.2 (32 bit) on a Windows 7 (64 bit) computer. Because of a corruption somewhere in my Profile, I had to use the Profile from a second computer, which has the same Bookmarks. But the History on that second computer is quite limited.

Is there a way that I can save JUST the History (without the Bookmarks) from the Profile on one computer, and export it to another one?

Or better yet, is there a way to merge JUST the History from two different Profiles?

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Save History separate from Bookmarks?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-21, 09:55

It's not possible to export history.

What you can do is use Pale Moon Sync and ONLY sync the history between the 2.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-05-21, 11:26

Maybe FEBE can help since it can backup bookmark, history... and restore them
http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/FEBEscreenshots.html

http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe.html

and if you need more help
http://www.customsoftwareconsult.com/fo ... m.php?f=21
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-05-21, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-21, 14:11

You can use Norwell History Tools to merge histories. Back up first))
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-21, 20:25

Both bookmarks and history are stored in places.sqlite in the profile. You could copy that. If you want to save bookmarks separately, you can do that from the bookmark manager.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-21, 23:41

_yuyu_ wrote:You can use Norwell History Tools to merge histories. Back up first))
Thanks. I saw it had mixed reviews. I went to their link on Firefox, but it appears to only run on Firefox; not Pale Moon. Do you use a version that runs on Pale Moon?

I also found this:
http://sqlitebrowser.org/

They have a portable version, so I downloaded it. Have not yet tried it.

Harry
Last edited by 1210_bex on 2018-05-21, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-21, 23:57

Goodydino wrote:Both bookmarks and history are stored in places.sqlite in the profile. You could copy that. If you want to save bookmarks separately, you can do that from the bookmark manager.
Do you mean to use the Import & Backup function from Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks, or something else? I am not quite clear on this.

Harry

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-21, 23:59

Capture1.PNG
I use this version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norwell/. So it works on Pale Moon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by _yuyu_ on 2018-05-22, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-22, 04:04

_yuyu_ wrote:Capture1.PNGI use this version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norwell/. So it works on Pale Moon.
I downloaded and installed it. But I can't figure out how it works. Am I opening the places.sqlite file or something else? I backed places.sqlite up, but I want to place a test files in another folder so I don't do any damage. I can load the 1st places.sqlite file, but I can't figure out how to load the one that it should be merged with. The instructions the author gives are no help to me.

I also installed the portable version of sqlitebrowser on a USB drive. I got it to open with one of the .sqlite files and even created a CSV file. But the information it provides seems useless.

Harry

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-22, 05:01

1210_bex wrote:
I downloaded and installed it. But I can't figure out how it works. Am I opening the places.sqlite file or something else? I backed places.sqlite up, but I want to place a test files in another folder so I don't do any damage. I can load the 1st places.sqlite file, but I can't figure out how to load the one that it should be merged with. The instructions the author gives are no help to me.

Harry
Press the little question mark button located at top left of the window.
1.png
Quick help menu pops up
2.png
Press the Launch button. History import tool opens. (As shown in my previous message). Browse for the places.sqlite file to import from.
Important note: if two other files, places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm are present in your profile folder, be sure to backup them along wih the original places.sqlite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-22, 17:18

_yuyu_ wrote: Press the little question mark button located at top left of the window.
Quick help menu pops up

Press the Launch button. History import tool opens. (As shown in my previous message). Browse for the places.sqlite file to import from.
Important note: if two other files, places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm are present in your profile folder, be sure to backup them along wih the original places.sqlite.
First, thanks for the warning about backing up places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm. I have both of them, but I was not backing them up.

I seem to be really stupid on this issue.

I got Norwell Launched, pressed Browse, and selected a file. Then next to steps 1, 2 & 3, I got blue horizontal bars. I got nothing more, and I had to manually close that screen (Exit was grayed out I think). Then I went to look at my places.sqlite files, and they had not changed. They were the same size, and had the same date, as before.

In the 1st screenshot you sent me, Line 2. says "history will be imported into your current profile". How does Norwell know what my current Profile is? I use Pale Moon's 'Choose User Profile' feature, and have multiple profiles on each computer. Even if I have Pale Moon open, how does Norwell know which profile to select?

Harry
Last edited by 1210_bex on 2018-05-22, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-22, 17:34

1210_bex wrote: How does Norwell know what my current Profile is? I use Pale Moon's 'Choose User Profile' feature, and have multiple profiles on each computer. Even if I have Pale Moon open, how does Norwell know which profile to select?

Harry
Because it is installed to your current profile.
By the way, size of sqlite files can remain the same unless "vacuumed" (compacted or defragmented).
Last edited by _yuyu_ on 2018-05-22, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-22, 22:17

1210_bex wrote:
Goodydino wrote:Both bookmarks and history are stored in places.sqlite in the profile. You could copy that. If you want to save bookmarks separately, you can do that from the bookmark manager.
Do you mean to use the Import & Backup function from Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks, or something else? I am not quite clear on this.
Yes, exactly. I do that to save a backup of the bookmarks outside of the profile every time I make a change in the bookmarks. Use Backup to make the backup copy, then use Restore in the other Mozilla-type browser to put those bookmarks into it.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-23, 00:49

_yuyu_ wrote:
1210_bex wrote: How does Norwell know what my current Profile is? I use Pale Moon's 'Choose User Profile' feature, and have multiple profiles on each computer. Even if I have Pale Moon open, how does Norwell know which profile to select?

Harry
By the way, size of sqlite files can remain the same unless "vacuumed" (compacted or defragmented).
I finally got it. I saved all three .sqlite files from several of my profiles, then used Norwell to combine two of them. It all seems to be there, best I can tell. But i noticed a huge increase in the resulting places.sqlite-wal file. One of the two profiles I used had a -wal file of 800KB. The second, 8100KB. The combination, 28,527KB. At the worst, I would have assume that it was the sum of the two that I merged. What is stored in the .wal file?

Also, Norwell had an 'enable' option. I have attached an image. Do you have any idea what all those options do? I did not try any of them.

And thanks so much for your help on this. Now that I know that Pale Moon 'Bookmarks' also contains the History, I will just use my normal method of creating a Backup .json file on my desktop and Restoring it onto my laptop.

Harry

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-23, 01:47

1210_bex wrote:
_yuyu_ wrote:

Harry
I finally got it. I saved all three .sqlite files from several of my profiles, then used Norwell to combine two of them. It all seems to be there, best I can tell. But i noticed a huge increase in the resulting places.sqlite-wal file. One of the two profiles I used had a -wal file of 800KB. The second, 8100KB. The combination, 28,527KB. At the worst, I would have assume that it was the sum of the two that I merged. What is stored in the .wal file?

Also, Norwell had an 'enable' option. I have attached an image. Do you have any idea what all those options do? I did not try any of them.

And thanks so much for your help on this. Now that I know that Pale Moon 'Bookmarks' also contains the History, I will just use my normal method of creating a Backup .json file on my desktop and Restoring it onto my laptop.

Harry
places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm files mean that SQL database is not closed. This is normal. You can get rid of them by optimizing your profile with SpeedyFox program. After that you will have a single places.sqlite file with smaller size. Make a backup of the profile first.
Capture.PNG
'enable' checkbox enables limits (filters) by date, link type etc. This is not very intuitive but somewhere on mozillazine forum if I remember correctly all that was explained by developer.
No, backup .json file contains only bookmarks.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-23, 05:04

_yuyu_ wrote:
places.sqlite-wal and places.sqlite-shm files mean that SQL database is not closed. This is normal. You can get rid of them by optimizing your profile with SpeedyFox program. After that you will have a single places.sqlite file with smaller size. Make a backup of the profile first.

'enable' checkbox enables limits (filters) by date, link type etc. This is not very intuitive but somewhere on mozillazine forum if I remember correctly all that was explained by developer.

No, backup .json file contains only bookmarks.
I went to what appears to be the author's thread on mozillazine forum and could not find any details on the 'enable' checkbox page. So I left a message asking about it. If I get an answer, I will post it here.

Thanks for setting me straight on the backup.json file. I thought I read in one of these threads that History was also included.

Harry

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2018-05-27, 02:42

My external bookmark backups are called "bookmarks-<date>.json" It is places.sqlite that has bookmarks plus history.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-27, 03:45

Goodydino wrote:My external bookmark backups are called "bookmarks-<date>.json" It is places.sqlite that has bookmarks plus history.
Thanks for the clarification.

Harry

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-05-27, 07:00

Goodydino wrote:My external bookmark backups are called "bookmarks-<date>.json" It is places.sqlite that has bookmarks plus history.
Try to delete your places.sqlite and then restore from "bookmarks-<date>.json". As a result you will lose your history.

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2018-06-13, 22:36

If someone is still interested in the subject: just found out that FEBE addon (listed on PM addons site) is able to backup/restore history separately. Have not tried to restore yet however.
Capture.PNG