[Solved] Bug in 15.4 - Corruption of bookmark dialog

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trickyricky

[Solved] Bug in 15.4 - Corruption of bookmark dialog

Unread post by trickyricky » 2013-01-18, 17:14

With the current release, 15.4, if you hit Ctrl-D and change the folder, the drop-down isn't redrawn and obscures the Done button. Reverting to 15.31 resolves the issue, so it must have been introduced into 15.4.

[edit] - Apologies, I forgot to say this is on Windows 7 32-bit.
Last edited by trickyricky on 2013-01-18, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Bug in 15.4 - Corruption of bookmark dialog

Unread post by CraigPD » 2013-01-18, 17:43

Unconfirmed on XP

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-01-18, 18:20

Welcome Ricky, I'm seeing the same here with PM 15.4 x64 on W7. What graphics are you running, any tweaks, like Aero disabled?

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-01-18, 18:21

I have win 7, using 15.4 32bit, Ctrl-D and changing the folder redraws the page perfectly, no problems seen and the "Done" button is available at all times.

*Now I have to go clean up the bookmarks I stuck in various folders while testing.

Edit:- No problems seen in 15.4X64 either.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-01-18, 18:39

Windows XP- 32 bit, all is perfect here, possibly you have an add-on or UI theme causing this, try disabling?

trickyricky

Unread post by trickyricky » 2013-01-18, 19:57

Video is Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 which is a dual-head card, but there is only one display connected. All aero and other effects are disabled in Windows. I disabled all PM addons but that made no difference. I don't have any themes or other UI changers installed.

Although the Done button is masked by the left-over bits of the drop-down display, the button can still be clicked on if you know where it is. When the Bookmark dialog disappears, the left-over bits stay until the page is refreshed or scrolled, or a new page is loaded.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-01-18, 20:26

If Add-ons and Themes are ruled out then possibly a corrupted localstore.rdf for some reason? Simple fix if you don't mind rebuilding your toolbars: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_custo ... on_startup
mozillaZine wrote:....If you have no localstore.rdf backup, you will need to close Firefox (or Pale Moon) and remove the localstore.rdf file from the profile folder (by moving, deleting, or renaming the file). When you restart the application, a new localstore.rdf file will be generated. Your toolbar customizations will be gone but future changes will be retained.

Before continuing you may wish to save a screenshot of your current toolbar customizations, to help you restore them later.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2013-01-18, 20:40

What I see is the remains of the dropdown overlaid on the Edit window, when I move the cursor down to my hidden Taskbar and off the Taskbar again, it returns to normal - but - it works as expected when PM is in windowed mode.

ATI card, Aero and other pretties disabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-18, 21:16

trickyricky wrote:Although the Done button is masked by the left-over bits of the drop-down display, the button can still be clicked on if you know where it is. When the Bookmark dialog disappears, the left-over bits stay until the page is refreshed or scrolled, or a new page is loaded.
Sounds like a window redrawing issue - a little odd since I'd expect it to cause more issues in that case.
I'm not familiar with the Quadro you mention - they are older cards, and lower-end business workstation graphics, I believe? It may not like the acceleration of layers in that case, and feature implementation might not be as complete as the higher end NVidia cards. You can try to set the following parameters in about:config and see if that helps:
set layers.acceleration.disabled to true and restart Pale Moon
if that doesn't help, try setting gfx.direct2d.disabled to true (more rigorous, but more likely to solve issues)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trickyricky

Unread post by trickyricky » 2013-01-18, 23:06

set layers.acceleration.disabled to true and restart Pale Moon

has done the trick.

Yes, it is an older business workstation, but PM hasn't shown that problem right up to 15.3.2 and then it suddenly appeared with 15.4.

Still, the above fix has sorted it out. Many thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-18, 23:33

It's probably related to the changes I made to Direct2D to improve performance - it's possible one of the features used now isn't liked by your hardware/driver combination.
Good to hear the layers acceleration setting fixed it!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite