Address bar search?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Drew99GT

Address bar search?

Unread post by Drew99GT » 2018-05-19, 16:58

Is this feature no longer supported in Palemoon? Where it will search Google?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Address bar search?

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-05-19, 18:00

Go to about:config (put it in the address bar like a URL, hit enter, say you'll be careful about the dragons)

Search for the preference keyword.enabled, make sure it's set to true

Now entering things that the browser doesn't recognize as URLs will instead search for them using whichever search engine you have selected.

To use Google, you can install the proper search plugin from https://addons.palemoon.org/search-plugins/.
Last edited by SpockFan02 on 2018-05-19, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-21, 00:29

Bump. (URL bar, Location bar)

Is this working?
It does not seem to be working, 28.1.0 (& 28.0.1)?

Should it be working?

FF 52 & PM 28 both have the Prefs (& I know that "having" something does not necessarily mean it is "plugged in"); keyword.enabled & browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches, both defaulting to 'true'. (Disabling both disables URLbar searching in FF 52 & 62.)

Per viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19213, 2nd post, incl. screenshot, it does work in Basilisk.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-21, 00:33

therube, Pale Moon's search prefs and search service are consistent with FE of 24 and search service from 43. Pale Moon 28 does not use the Australis search UI or the native search service we inherited from esr52..

So i dunno.. Leave Firefox out of it though.. It's irrelevant.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-21, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-21, 07:10

Searching from the address bar (no matter how much I dislike it) works just fine in Pale Moon 28.1.0. It will use whatever is set as your default search engine, unless you use a keyword defined in search engines to select a different one on-the-fly.
All of this works like it has always worked, nothing has changed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-23, 03:31

If it's broken for some reason, here you go:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rd-search/
-Kramy

90Obadiah

Unread post by 90Obadiah » 2018-09-23, 06:04

Same problem here, address bar search suggestions is not working

Tried everything even uninstalled the browser but the problem remains

(Palemoon 28.1.0 32-bit, Windows x86)
Last edited by 90Obadiah on 2018-09-23, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-23, 14:04

Searching from the address bar (no matter how much I dislike it) works just fine in Pale Moon 28.1.0.
Ah, so it does :-).

I guess the devil is in the details, or at least one is thrown off when they don't see what they (or at least what I) expect to see.

Per screenshot, download/file.php?id=10804&mode=view, Basilisk shows, "basilisk - Search with DuckDuckGo" as one of its' entries.

SeaMonkey shows, "Search (Google) for 'basilisk'".
Palemoon URL bar search - SeaMonkey.png

It is that "Search" (or "Search with") that does not display, that leads one (me) to think that Address bar search was not working.
But it does work, just type in your search terms & hit enter.
It is only the visual clue that is not there, that if you are used to seeing it, throws you off when you don't see it.

Similar in concept to palemoon default search engine where the user didn't realize that all you had to do to "select" a search engine was to click a particular entry, that no (specific) "OK" button was needed to effect the change.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-23, 14:09, edited 2 times in total.

Kramy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kramy » 2018-09-24, 01:00

That's one thing that tends to annoy power users / power surfers. It always was typing and slamming the enter key - then they go and add a dropdown option, so you either have to move the mouse and click, or hit the down arrow a bunch before slamming the enter key. Makes it take way longer. :crazy:

You see the same thing with Win10, where certain options that used to be directly visible in the Control Panel (in WinXP / Win7) are now hidden many layers deep, so you actually need 8-12 clicks to reach the same place, and usually some scrolling. 8-12 correct clicks - often you end up in the wrong place, unless you dig around the Win10 options all day like many computer techs do, so now everyone falls back to using the search box to find the options they are looking for.

The thing is, the search box could've been added without adding the additional steps. Without rearranging stuff. Without annoying power users. (And it was for programs like Classic Shell - the classic start menu.) And now that I mentioned it, Classic Shell's search also goes at lightspeed compared to Win10's search. If you have tried both on an old netbook or laptop, perhaps with a dying hard drive, then you'll know that Classic Shell can search out a control panel option in like 5 seconds, and Win10's search will take 2-10 minutes. (Again, on not-so-healthy hardware, making the true performance differences very obvious.)

TLDR; power users prefer less steps to activate things. Bring back the intuitive UI features that shave time off our days, and don't bury them 15 layers deep. :D
-Kramy

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-24, 10:48

Kramy wrote:TLDR; power users prefer less steps to activate things. Bring back the intuitive UI features that shave time off our days, and don't bury them 15 layers deep. :D
As a power user, I'm not sure if I understand what's been "buried" here, but workflows even among power users can vary greatly. For example, I always use the search bar with the default engine set to DuckDuckGo. If I want to search another site, I use one of DDG's defined bangs before "slamming enter". I only use the address bar for entering an address directly. It's intuitive and fast for me, but YMMV.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story